What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I just couldn't cope - strictly a Spring and Autumn type.
    Flat out and wet towels spring to mind.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    My perfect weather would be low 70s during the day and 38-45 at night. How I ended up here I don't know.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have no idea what it is like outside but it must be hot as Tikva will not stay out any longer than she has to when she goes out for a pee or poo. It was very hot when I put my rubbish out last night so must be much hotter during the day.
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I’ve hung sheets on the windows facing the sun and put a old flannel sheet over a skylight. Helps a little. And yes, I have no curtains. I don’t need them usually as I have no neighbors that might see into my house. If I’m tired light doesn’t wake me up
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    It’s 11:45 and my house has only cooled to 76, with fans drawing air through the house... tomorrow should be fun
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    An update... 2am and house is down to 73
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I would ask why you are still up at 2am Marc, but as I am rarely in bed before 3am [mostly later] I do not think I should! I am still managing with the a/c on in the salon at 26°C [78.8°F] during the day but do have to take it down to 24° at times. I put the unit on in the bedroom when Tikva goes into her crate for the night, but again at 26° and it stays on all night.

So far I haven't had to put the unit on in the back room but I keep the trissim closed all the time. I only really go through it from the kitchen to my bedroom [and vice versa] so unless I am in there for any length of time the a/c can stay off. Same with the unit in the kitchen.

After the power cut a week ago I am praying that we do not have another one because hot as it is outside, it is still only half way through June and it will get even hotter - and will stay hot for months yet.

I hope you are feeling better and not having any more headaches or dizzy spells. Please look after yourself.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I had taken a nap yesterday, because, well, it was hot and seemed like a good idea, so I was up a little late.

I am not as prepared or used to the heat as you are, however I do have my own power source, so I always have power if needed.

I have just temporarily installed an old AC unit. It is smaller than suggested for the size of the room it’s in, but hopefully it will keep it from getting any hotter. I don’t expect it to bring the temp down. It’s been holding at 78.9 for about 20 minutes. I’ve hung sheets over the openings to the bathroom stairs, the bedroom stairs and the kitchen. I’ve hung sheets over some windows too, to block the sunlight.

Its currently 99, down from 101. My house tends to heat up more later in the day, so we’ll see how well this AC works
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I am doing some better as far as dizzy spells, as long as I limit the amount of work I do, take lots of breaks, long lunch break, and don’t work when it’s hot out, and lots of water. If I do all that I can do about 4-5 hours a day, but not everyday. I still get headaches, almost everyday at some point, but generally they are not too bad. Occasionally they will come and go all day. Yesterday when I pulled into my driveway and stopped, I had the sensation I was still moving. Despite that, I do feel like I’m slowly improving. Hopefully in the next few months I’ll be able to go back to work. As it stands now, I don’t see who’s going to hire me with the knowledge that I need to take so many breaks, when I feel I need them, for as long as I need. I’m supposed to push myself, to a point. It’s very hard for some to understand, if they don’t have a medical background, or had someone close to them deal with this. It’s an invisible injury.... If I push too hard, especially if it’s warm, I will feel like my feet are clumsy, more my right one. Bright sunlight still bothers me too.

I’m waiting on a referral to a neurologist to rule out anything else... like a stroke. I personally think it’s a waste of time and money, but I will go anyhow. I have textbook post concussion syndrome, from what I read, but I’m not a doctor.

On a good note, I had a lung scan awhile ago and the results came back excellent, which I’m very happy about, since I smoked for 40 years. I quit a little over 3 years ago. I started very young. It’s a low dose CT scan, very quick procedure. I can get one every year up until 15 years from when I quit, to make sure my lungs are clear. It’s much easier, cheaper, and better outcomes, to catch that type of cancer (probably any type) early. Often with lung cancer by the time symptoms show, it’s progressed pretty far.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am very glad to hear that the dizzy spells are easing off Marc - with any brain trauma it takes time to recover and you obviously suffered quite severe trauma. But you are recovering, albeit not at the rate you would like, but pushing yourself to a certain point is one thing - trying to push yourself over that point can very easily set you back again. You know that so I am not going to nag you again about it - I have probably nagged you enough before, telling you to take it easy!

As for being used to the heat - and the way that the heat of summer so quickly turns to a far colder winter than expected, when I first came to Israel 36 years ago I did not even have one fan or one heater for my apartment. Unless a person is born here or comes at a very young age, in which case they are used to the weather, it is very difficult for someone coming as an adult - I was was over 43 - you never really adapt totally to the heat. You learn to cope with it as best you can - you have to - but it still hits when suddenly the power is off so no a/c or heat.

I can't remember which I got first - a small fan or a small heater - those were in my apartment in town. Obviously it was not so bad when I was working, because of course my office, and the buses, had central heating/cooling, so I just had to cope from the time I got home on a Friday until leaving for work on the Sunday morning.

It was not until I moved into this bungalow that I eventually progressed to a fan for both the salon and my bedroom, and a halogen heater for the salon, and it is not that many years ago that I was able to get the two small wall a/c units here - one for the salon and one for my bedroom, then maybe a year later one for the kitchen and finally one for the back room. The latter two only used when necessary.

Apart from the cost of cooling or heating the whole bungalow, ie each room, which would be impossible on my disability pension, I have to be very careful what is switched on at any one time, as the wiring is very old and only single phase at that. So not only would using too many appliances keep blowing the fuses, the chances of the wiring just catching fire is too risky.

It is like the solar boiler for hot water. It does have an electric heating element in it for when there is not enough sun, but in the nearly 21 years that I have lived here I have only tried to use it once - and it promptly blew the main fuse. So - no sun, no hot water, and there are plenty of days in the winter when I have no hot water. Same with my washing machine, which only has a cold water inlet. I have never tried to do a wash using the heater on the washing m/c because I do not want to risk it blowing the electricity.

Tikva has just asked to go to bed! She went out for a pee - came in and is now sitting patiently on the end of the couch nearest the doorway to the rest of the bungalow, so I guess it is time to unclip her tether so that she can race through to the bedroom. Well it has gone 1am! Another couple of hours before I follow her though!
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I have two window units - one in the bedroom and one in the living. Heat is a gas wall unit in the living room.

After my first winter here - when I turned the heater down to 50 (there was no off switch) and woke up in the middle of the night basically suffocating from heat (and then seeing my breath when I went downstairs) because all the heat moved upstairs and the heater never stopped running - I put a glass door at the bottom of the stairwell.

That has really helped in many ways. It keeps the heat downstairs, doesn't overwork the window AC trying to cool the stairway, and I can separate animals as needed.

I need a cold room to sleep, so winters are great. I just have a small electric fireplace in each bedroom to take the chill off as needed, and an electric heater in each bathroom as I refuse to get out of a nice hot shower into a cold room.

In summer, I set my bedroom AC unit at 78 and shut the door with two fans running during the day. Even in this heat, that makes the bedroom bearable at night when I open the door so the cats can come in and out of the room.

By late afternoon, I have to limit my power usage as my living room circuit will trip.

When the delta breeze hits, I open my back window in the bedroom. The breeze comes right in and makes the nights so nice and comfortable. Some nights, I have to turn my electric mattress pad on low because of that breeze but I sleep so much better.
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Hah, my Bat-dog had "bedtime" but she demanded that I go too. One time, while camping, a friend and I decided to have a campfire. Bat-dog determined that it was time to go inside. So she stood in the doorway of my camper and glared at our friend. For about 20 minutes, she just stared at her, until our friend decided campfire time was over. It was one of Bat-dog's many many rules - when it's dark outside, we go inside. There was no sense in laying out in the cold on the hard ground, when you could be warm and cosy inside on a couch or bed with your mama.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I like a cold bedroom but always wear cotton socks in bed! Can't sleep without them. :102:
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    You gave me shivers up my back. I can't stand the feel of socks against sheets or blankets - gives me the heebie jeebies. :101:

I slept about 3-3.5 hours last night. Hoping I can settle in downstairs for a long nap shortly.
  16. tundraman

tundraman New Member

Name:
    phil
    it cooled down to 104 today with a chance of thunderstorms yesterday was 112
  17. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Was much cooler today. I live in a coastal mountain range, sometimes we get it real hot when it’s hotter inland and sometimes we are more coastal. Luckily today we were more coastal, with a high of 85. I did turn on the little AC unit for the dogs when I went out, because I didn’t know if it would keep getting hotter. The house was 76 when I left and it’s 72 now. The dogs are loving it. Feels decadent.
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Do you have a mains supply Marc, or have to generate your own power?
  19. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I live off grid and generate my own power
  20. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    95 degrees
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How is your a/c Marc? I was without power for four hours yesterday and I melted.