What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    It's been 103 to 115 here forever. I've forgotten what "cool" feels like.

I'm bought a swimming pool that arrives the end of the week, but I fear it's going to be too hot to put it up anytime soon.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    That’s what outside lights are for, so you can do it at night when it’s a little cooler
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Well, it's been in the 90s even after the sun goes down. Doesn't cool down until after 2 am.
  5. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    A couple of degrees warmer today, 86F throughout the house. Poor Tally can't settle anywhere for long. There have been two or three fires - one on the outskirts of London is classed as major incident. I'm hoping that we get some rain soon.
  6. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    A couple of degrees warmer today. Poor Tally can't settle anywhere for long. There have been two or three fires - one on the outskirts of London is classed as major incident. I'm hoping that we get some rain soon.
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Sending you cool thoughts, although I know that doesn’t help. If you have a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, and a small fan, you can cut a hole in the lid, and put the fan on it’s back, blowing air upwards. If you have ice, put ice in the bucket. I suppose cold water from the tap would be better then nothing. It’s all I’ve got. I hope the heatwave breaks soon
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    From what I have been reading it is horrendous and the pictures are terrifying. I feel so sorry for the people who have lost their homes. You just do not expect weather like that in the UK, do you.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Middle of a flaming heatwave and a big shop coming tomorrow and my freezer looks like it's on the blink. For goodness sake as if this horrible heat isn't enough!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Poor you Chris, I do hope your freezer does not pack up on you. As I like to keep stocked up in case of emergencies, I would be lost without mine. I really do not know how people are coping as you are not used to this heat - which seems to have been going on forever, and the pictures of the fires are positively terrifying.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    We're having another heat wave here with temps around 105+...

Fortunately, I did some work in the backyard the past few months - hard-roofed gazebo with conversation seating, round patio table and chairs with large patio umbrella, two lounge chairs with a second large patio umbrella, AND an 18x9ft 48 inch deep above ground pool.

Just drifting in the pool for an hour or two cools me down for the day.

@who owns who I'd tell you and the dogs to come stay here, but Cat-dog is still afraid of other dogs and bringing one let alone two into her home would destroy her. And if I hadn't already sold my motorhome, I'd offer it to you.
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    It’s hit 96 the past two days. I turned on the AC this afternoon and it’s still on. It’s really loud though.
    @Toedtoes, My dogs are not dog friendly with other dogs. But appreciate you thinking of us!!
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    I thought I remembered your saying they weren't.

If you have, or have access to, an RV, you could see about volunteering as a camphost at one of the state parks around you. The dogs are allowed in the campground and on paved roads. And the host sites have electrical. Usually you are just expected to clean the restrooms, collect fees, etc - no hard labor.
  14. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    We hit 107 today. At 9:35 it’s still 78 outside. I’m guessing @Toedtoes was 10 degrees hotter
  15. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    OMG! Heavy rain with spectacular thunder and lightening here.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Yep. Hit a high of 117 yesterday. Expecting the same today.

What I'd give for rain!
  17. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Malka How is the weather with you? You have been quiet recently, I hope everything is OK.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Just checked the temps via my outside cameras. 121 in my driveway, 117 in the backyard. It's a cool 109 in my sideyard.
  19. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Maybe it’s finally going to cool off here. It was 102 at 6pm. Now, at 7:15pm, it’s dropped 20 degrees, to 82.
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    It topped at about 110 today. Tomorrow is supposed to be 108. Then it should drop down to about 89-90 on Saturday.

My living room AC unit is dying. It just can't handle temps this high anymore. Have a new one coming Saturday...
  21. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I think my AC is dying too. It’s old and not wanting to run continuously. I’ve turned it off and opened my windows. It’s 75 inside, which isn’t that bad. This has been some very extreme heat for an extended period of time. I’m afraid we’ve damaged our planet. It’s letting us know