What we expect from you (rules) and you us (our policies) Announcements

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Azz, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

What we expect from you (rules) and you us (our policies)

What we expect from you - Rules
    I guess we have to cover this point sooner or later - our rules. I think they can easily be summed up in two sentences:

Don't be Contemptible
    And when replying (perhaps to someone who is) don't go too far.

Of course we have the obligatory rules in terms of meeting our legal requirements and protecting the site - covering things such as hate speech, racism, etc, but on the whole we value and want to encourage freedom of speech and expression, and don't want to bog people down with complicated rule sets about what they can or can't say. So feel free to be open and honest, and if you do happen to post something that may seem unacceptable, then hopefully another member will subtly point that our for you.

The rules apply to things concerning the site too - so please don't advertise competing sites/social networks.

Next: What you can expect from us..
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    What you can expect from us - the site
    In short, Breedia aims to be the definitive Dog Breed Encyclopaedia - where we cover ever breed and type of dog. The community areas will hopefully reflect that too, hosting breed specific forums for every breed as well as broader group/type forums. We also have a communal General Dog Chat section too. All these forums contain categories, covering serious topics such as health, training and behaviour, and more fun activities such as general chat and activities. As time goes by, these forums can have categories specific to the breed (or group) too.

You might expect to find the type of chat in our breed specific forums as you would in any stand-alone breed specific forum, this may also filter down to the culture. So for example you may find the culture is very different in a large bull breeds forum, than to say a smaller companion breed forum. If you happily hop from thread to thread, just keep that in mind :lol: Of course, if you are a huge fan of a breed, then being a regular poster in its breed forum will mean you can help mould and influence the culture there yourself :)

If you have any suggestions on how you think we can make Breedia or our Dog Forums even better, let us know!
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's, katia and Lacey10 like this.
    What you can expect from us - Admin policies
    As time goes by, cultures change, new technologies and types of sites emerge and your expectations shift with it all.

I've been a forum administrator on a number of sites for over a decade now, and I've seen the above play out. Perhaps more importantly, no two sites have ever been the same! However, some things have been consistent, and I think it's these common-areas that define my take on things now.

I feel that a forum administrator should not 'get in the way', and I think that means... not getting too heavily involved in debates; striving to provide an open platform for discussion; and by not complicating things by lots of rules governing member conduct.

We need to keep things fun, and not bog people down with too many rules or start introducing measures (perhaps in response to complaints) that could hinder or stifle debate.

Instead we encourage members to speak out if they feel someone is being unfair - if you are an active member here, you should consider this your site - so don't be afraid to shape the culture in any of the breed specific forums, or areas of the site you are most active in :)
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    katia and Lacey10 like this.
    What you can expect from us - Moderating

I think it might be easier to just post the note that is a sticky in the mod section :)

6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's, katia and Lacey10 like this.
    So in short, we want to make the site fun for you, and we don't want the mod and admin team 'getting in the way'.

We accept that enjoyment of the site may vary for different people, but please don't take liberties, or do anything that could potentially hurt the site - that will surely bring out the terriers in all of us, whether mod team or loyal member! :lol:

If you feel we have veered too far from these guidelines, please start a thread in the Contact Admin section to let me know.
  7. Adjecyca

Adjecyca New Member

Name:
    Ashley
    Am i allowed to participate in this forum when i live in the united states and own a breed that is banned in your country?
  8. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hello Ashley and welcome :)
    Yes it is fine to take part in the forum.
  9. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Am i allowed to participate in this forum when i live in the united states and own a breed that is banned in your country?

Yes Darlin', I live in the states AND have two dogs banned in the UK n' it's still all good. There's a lot of information and we're really a rather sociable group regardless where we're writing from.

Regarding colorful language, I feel it's a good idea not to allow it. I mean I have my favorite expressions certainly, and a well placed vulgarity can be rather amusing sometimes. But profanity can also be hurtful and ugly, also an easy excuse for ignorance. Therefore thinking of real words to explain oneself is much more civilized than &*%*$%* Wouldn't you agree?
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    While we're based in the UK, we are an international site :) it's one of the reasons we do not show user-location with posts :D

I think it has worked well too, as we seem to have quite a mix here, with people from all over :023:
  11. Jim Phillips

Jim Phillips New Member

Name:
    Jim Phillips
    I need to have help with an emergency and I. CAnt navigate this site please help
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    What are you struggling with Jim?

On the Dog Forums page is a list of categories. Press the one you are interested in and it will bring up a list of the posts on that section.

Personally, as I check in most days, I stick with clicking on 'New Posts' then click on the posts that catch my attention