What weight should my Retriever be at 13 weeks? Health

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by oscardoodle, Apr 3, 2007.

1. oscardoodle

oscardoodle New Member

Name:
    sarah

What weight should my Retriever be at 13 weeks?

My Retriever puppy Oscar has just been weighed while at the vets, he weighed 8.55kg is this below/above or just right?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    What did the vet say?
  4. oscardoodle

oscardoodle New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Hi
    thanks for replying, she said it was 'fine' thats why i felt i needed to ask someone else!!
  5. Nursey

Nursey New Member

Name:
    Nursey

If you don't trust your Vet you should find another one.:? It's an important relationship when you are a dog owner.

Dawn R.
  6. sjpurt

sjpurt New Member

Name:
    sam
    i agree with nursey if you dont trust your vet i woould change i have 100% faith and friendship with mine she would always say if they are spot on just under or over for there age. I would not be happy with that at all sorry.
  7. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    I would say getting a 2nd opinion on weight is not necessarily not trusting you vet, as we had a vet tell us Storm was still vastley overweight despite him being at his target weight, the vet who said this has a lot of expeirence with working labs who tend to be more slender. I was glad we got a 2nd opinion but we still did trust him as it was an honest mistake and he had done a lot for Storm.

But if there is any reason why you are unsure about your vet it maybe best looking for a new one. I am sorry I cant help with the weight.
  8. Gina&Jaz

Gina&Jaz New Member

Name:
    Gina
    Ours usually weigh that at about 10 weeks, but then ours were quite chunky pups. I think its fine. :D
  9. Olly

Olly New Member

Name:
    olly
    :? In the 51/2 years we've had gemma ,i've yet to find 2 vets who agree about what a "right "wieght is :roll: ,seems to me that in general if your pup is healthy ,happy and being given the right amount of exercise,and food ,then i would say thats fine ,but as with people labs differ gemma is a middle lab ,so fairly short and stocky looking ,and i have to say she does look chunky ,and as shes very laid back its sometimes hard work getting her excited enough to want to chase a ball :roll: :lol: but i agree with everyone else if your not truly comfortable with your vets advice then you might want to consider changeing .
  10. IanTaylor

IanTaylor

Name:
    Ian
    I wouldn't be too worried about a specific weight.. I tend to go more with the all round look... if he/she looks healthy and acts healthy.. the ole feel the ribs but not see the ribs is a good guide too :)
  11. mj

mj New Member

Name:
    mel
    Hi Sarah,
    only just found this thread and have been away for a week

Max weighed 8.5kg at 8weeks so just the same but since then he's turned into a monster he's now 25 weeks and weighs 21.5kg:shock:
    so i wouldn't worry as long as he's eating and exercising/playing he'll be fine

hope this helps i know its a while since you posted

[​IMG]

he gained about 1kilo a week, if you could see me weighing it involves a washing basket,bathroom scales and 2 or more people....:shock: cant do it know he's too big of the basket:roll:
  12. oscardoodle

oscardoodle New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Thank you for this, Oscar is now nearly 16 weeks and last weeks he weighed 11.5kilos, managed to see another veterinary assistant and she assured me it was a good weight (phew).
    Its the paranoia and lack of 'dog' experience, just wanting everything to be right, I must admit when I posted the question I was interested to hear if it was an average weight more than a deep concern that the vet wasn't suitable, they are actually absolutely fabulous there.

Your dog is BEAUTIFUL, aren't the Retrievers such an elegant breed.
    [​IMG]

Many thanks again and kind regards
    Sarah & Oscar
  13. mj

mj New Member

Name:
    mel
    Hi sarah,
    oscar's a beautie! and im glad to hear to feel happier with his weight i know i worried about it with max he's seemed to be piling it on and eating loads i was worried he going the other way.. but my vets assures me he's fine they do put loads on during the first 9-12months when they are growing rapidly then should settle down..

regards
    melanie
  14. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Look at that face, all innocent!
    Becky
  15. dori-katie

dori-katie New Member

Name:
    Sarah-Jane Ruthwell