Whats going on with NI pups? Controversial

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by kcjack, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    True, but what this is going to achive in the long run is beyond me. . .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Agree as explained in a thread on the subject ...:)

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=1463671&postcount=4

When our 'old breeds' were created here and in the countries of origin there will have been a proportion of 'failed puppies' (in addition to the healthy ones who may or may not have conformed to standard) although as explained in the link above people in those days were better placed to breed from a large number of dogs to prevent too much inbreeding . We can't allow for failed puppies these days (and no one knows how many there have been with some of the new breeds ) we have moved on since those things were acceptable

The delema with the 'Wolfy looking dogs' (in addition to all the internal wrangling) is that if they inbreed they will get problems, but if they don't inbreed they will never get conformity uness they have the ability to cross breed large numbers of dogs (back to the link above) . A catch 22 situation you could say. This is why I think it is not a good idea to attempt to start a new breed these days.

My opinion has nothing to do with conspiracy theories or not liking the dogs , far from it I think the individual Wolfy looking dogs are lovely :) but to me they are not a breed as yet and I am not sure they ever will be.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  4. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Totally agree.

That seems to depend who you talk to, if you ask the BIDC they say they left, I suspect the NIS say they kicked them out. I suppose we'll never know the truth of this one.
  5. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    True but this is one point the TIDA and the NIS agree on . . . And the BIDC are not really going to say they were kicked out are they!

Plus they are clealy lying about cross breeding the NI with CWD's (you can see it!) to get the BI so i am not inclined to trust them all that much.

And yes i know some people say the same about the NIS/TIDA but i have always been given the information i wanted when i wanted it. My girl has a 5 gen pedigree and i met 2 gens of this pedigree before i even said i wanted a pup.
  6. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    If this is the case, why are we still getting Rhodesian Ridgebacks being born without the ridge? :?
    And this is classed as a deformity, not sure we've moved on all that far with some breeders:evil:

If I'm right in understanding what you're saying; we should no longer be trying to create a new breed, because our morals have changed in as much as getting through the malformed stage is no longer acceptable?
  7. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    The ridge on a RR is dominant so a ridged RR can be a carrier of the ridgeless gene and still have a ridge (bit of a tongue twister:mrgreen: )
    Ridgeless is not counted as a deformity but is undesirable. Being ridgeless does not make it any less a ridgeback though.
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well I am very opinionated too, so we are alike in that respect. :lol:

(and you have a Lurcher and I love them!)
  9. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Do you want her? LOL :mrgreen:

A bored lucher with a pigeon obsession because the stupid farmer wont cut the field and there are still sharp stalks all over the place . . . :x
  10. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Doncha just hate those double barreled breeds, especially after a pint or two:grin:

I was referring to the BBC program the other night where one breeder was destroying RR that had no ridge as in their opinion it was a deformity.:evil: Sorry off topic I know
  11. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Can anyone please give me a breeders name that stated that BI's are not crossbred?

I will take this up with the BIDC, and try and get an answer. I've had one statement from one of their breeders that 'controlled' breeding with CWDs is going on.

But I'm going to look a bit stupid if I start with someone said that a breeder their friend knew said that......
  12. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Sorry I know nothing at all about RRs :) I would hardly class being born without a ridge as a deformity anyway.

I am not denying there have been health problems in some breeds and there are some very bad breeders out there (including the puppy farmers and BYB churning out 'pedigree dogs' ). Some health problems in the older breeds were not foreseen, others should have been . Is this any reason to add to the problems by trying to create another breed just so that people can say you have a dog which looks like a wolf?

There are a number of so called 'designer breeds ' now but I think there are very few people actually trying to create a new breed . With some of the designer breeds it seems people are not so much trying to create a new breed but crossing two breeds and giving the puppies an amalgamation of two breed names .
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Good luck to you on that :lol:

I would say BD would be the best to answer as she was the one told this.
  14. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    But isn't that what the NI is? Well maybe not 2 breeds, but 3, or possibly 4 depending on who you ask:grin: All the breeds that go to make up the NI are pedigree, aren't they? (genuine question)
  15. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I've tried, but no luck.
  16. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Your guess is as good as mine :) if you read some of 'the history' of the breed (and it is posted in this section by someone who is supposed to know these things) two of the original dogs were imported from the USA as ‘wolf hybrid’ dogs and mated with what I am not sure . It should also be considered though that very few reputable breeders would let one of their breed go to be cross bred with another dog, so as to all founding dogs being 'pedigree' I can't say.
  17. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Yes, I read that on the web somewhere, I think it was on a NI breeder site. Curiously I have had a communication from a registered breeder of the BIDC stating the below:
    BI's are not crossed with GSD or mals, the origins of the NI are from gsd/mal/husky lines about 20 years ago. There has been some controlled breeding of BI's ( to widen the gene pool), with CWD and owners know that their dogs are from these lines and they all go out on endorsed paperwork
    No mention of any imports from America:?
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I asked you to ask your breeder! :002: I also told you that she was friends with shoshone, dont say you had no luck. :002:

She said to me (along with the appalling comment about your dog)

I think you're getting confused with Tamaskans. When I asked her if CWD was in the BI.

She kept repeating there was no CWD in them, her bitch was the dog on her signature, doesnt ,look like any other NI I have seen. I cant tell you her name because I dont know it! she calls herself "Navajo" Inuits.

On the Shoshone website, one of the older dogs has been rehomed into a pet home, at least thats what it said, its actually at this other breeders place at public stud!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  19. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I asked for the breeder name, you didn't tell me. Ergo, I had no luck

I can just imagine me asking Shoshone, there's someone who you're friends with who's a breeder and they state........ That's not going to get me anywhere.

Now that gets me somewhere, Navajo is a registered breeder with the BIDC. I'll let you know how I get on with my questions.

Although she may be telling the truth when she said there was no CWD in her dog. The BIDC doesn't cross the CWD with ALL the BIs, just some of them, so here's may well have had none in it.
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Dont hold your breath, she will bombard you with things that are nothing to do with it!
    I asked as a BREED in the first place, she denied, she could of said, "some" but said I was confused with Tamaskans.

You need to do a bit of homework Phil, most of us are keen detectives now! :)
  21. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Didn't you ask what the parents were???

Didn't they show you health certificates with the mothers name and breed on them??