What's Your Bully's Favorite Toy? Experiences

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Honey5, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Azz likes this.

What's Your Bully's Favorite Toy?

My "power chewer" is bored with his black Kongs. Everything else is destroyed on seconds, and I need ideas. What do you guys give your dogs?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Lol mine have destroyed those poor kongs.

But really large meaty bones are great!! Hooves and snouts too, of course those don't last long but at least they are edib6 and not dangerous. Deer & elk antlers are also a favorite.
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    disc cut cow femur bones. 1 generally last a day and pretty cheap.
    I buy 20 at a time and just keep them in the freezer.
  5. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I prowl second hand sales for human sports balls. Not children's inflatables but real stitched balls, baseballs, footballs and floor hockey pucks especially. I wouldn't buy them new but still they last for possibly a week or more. Plastic bats too are fun for retrieving.
    Sophie likes just carrying a tennis ball or other toy around in her mouth, rarely she'll rip it apart. The toys that implode are when they play tug of war. Callie's all time favorite toy even over food and treats is plastic bottles. He crushes them and they go to the recycle bin.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Oh yeah lol I forgot mine love those plastic bottles too! Small water bottles or big soda bottles.
  7. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

Water bottles! He has been eyeing my empties, he likes the crackling noise, I never thought to let him chomp on one. I'll check out garage sales for old balls and pucks too!

Ezee, have your dogs ever cracked a tooth on an antler? I have access to elk antlers but I am hesitant because they seem stone solid to me!

I can't give the poor guy meaty bones or pig parts, sadly, due to a history of pancreatitis. I suppose I could scrape the meat off. I have a bag of bones in the freezer, but they are butcher "gifts for the dog", I can't tell if they are beef or pork bones, lol.
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Not to date but it could be possible. I've dogs as young as a few months to old who haven't cracked or chipped teeth. The ones which have ruined teeth are those which thought metal was a good thing to chew on.

Is pancreatis going to be a concern of they are not particularly fatty?
  9. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Yikes! Ok I should count my blessings no one in my home is gnawing metal at the moment.

There might not be a problem with a snout, I'm guessing it's just cartilage, are they not greasy like the ears? Though since I'm not sure on what the actual fat content is nor what his threshold might be, perhaps I should still be conservative. On top of the pancreatitis he has IBS so it's literally a crapshoot whether he'll have an unpleasant reaction after ingesting something new.
  10. ndidi

ndidi New Member

Name:
    sally
    I haven't got a bull breed but have recently found that my pet shop sells buffalo horns cut into section. Both that and the antlers are still intact with my dogs, so it might be worth a shot. You can get ones which are quite hollow which are possible easier to chew but could be filled with some wet food or whatever you food won't upset his tummy and them maybe if you freeze them it might take him a while to chew and would keep him entertained. Also the one which aren't so hollow could be good just as something to chew.

Here is a link to what I am talking about. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&no...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3uzxayw22v_b

Hope it helps

Ndidi
  11. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    I had not seen those before, they may be worth a try! Thanks for the link!
  12. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I don't own bull breeds either! Neither of my dogs are interested in large bones, they much prefer raw chicken necks, wings and especially feet. Georgina's very particular how they're served ... they always have to be slightly warm. Gwylim's quite a simple lad to satisfy when it comes to toys ... he'll spend hours tearing pieces of paper into shreds!
  13. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    A note about chewing metal. Fortunately our fences are pretty secure now but we've had several bully friends who love nothing more than gnawing at chain link fences, another has a passion for padlocks. But definitely not safe for teeth.
  14. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Mine shreds napkins!! And washcloths. Such a mess, lol.

One of my dogs likes to herd and guard our small flock of chickens (its his "job"), I wonder if we'd be setting ourselves up for a conflict if we started giving him chicken feet. There's some wild Canada geese across the street I could do without though (only kidding, those big birds would clobber him)!
  15. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Hmmm, fences, padlocks, I wonder if you didn't have some Houdinis on your hands, looking for escape routes, lol. My last pit mix was a pro! She would nibble the metal gate latch in what appeared to be an attempt to open it, and she chomped a metal tie out cord in two! It sure looked like premeditated escape, not random chewing behavior, lol. She didn't chew our wood fence but I think it's just because she figured out she could just leap over it.
  16. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    You might not want to go with snouts. My dogs like em but I was thinking more raw meaty bones which wouldn't have a,lot of fat really.

Yeah I've been there done that with the lake across the street those things (Geese) are loud and annoying all night.
  17. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Stag antlers are excellent chew toys but can be seasonal and a bit costly depending how you souce them. Mine also have a couple of boomer balls and they have a thing for car tyres, they love to toss and roll them about and beat each other over the head with them, just have to not let them chew the latter to excess as they have steel belts in them. You also have the infamous spring pole, they really aren't hard to make but dont let your dog swing way off the ground like you see some people doing.
  18. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    I actually have a bag of raw bones in the freezer, most of them don't seem to have any marbling. I guess I might let him gnaw on one for a bit and see if there's any tummy issues afterwards.

I'm so sorry to hear you have rude geese neighbors too!

So I googled boomer balls, I think he would love that! Thanks!
  19. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Oh god be wary of the boomer ball, great idea but if they can partially get their jaws around it then they turn it into a cheese grater, that cuts their lips. The noise on a patio will drive you up the wall and they work themselves into a frenzy with it. I have to hide Diesels. He has XL black kongs which last about 6 weeks before there is nothing left. He has a hard rubber ball on a rope for when he's out and Giant bones for at home. That's it, nothing else interests him in the slightest.
  20. Honey5

Honey5 New Member

Name:
    Honey
    Oh no! Thanks for the warning!
  21. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Honey5 likes this.
    Rocky loved Kongs and roasted beef knuckles :D