Whats your staffy like with other dogs ?? General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Adele4dan, Jan 3, 2007.

1. kingbenny

kingbenny New Member

Name:
    Mike
    As i said in the thread above about dangerous dogs, my Dog Jake is the sweetest most loving animal in the world but once he meets another dog he become possessed. I've tried lots of training but he was 13 when i got him from a rescue home and has a few scars which i think could be from fighting in the past so i'm always very careful with him. I don't walk him during busy times and he is always muzzled. I HATE having to muzzle him but at 16 years old i really don't think there is much option, i have a responsibility to other dog owners after all. What really bothers me is the amount of people (mainly non dog owners and always strangers) that tell me i'm cruel to muzzle my dog!! Jake was very lucky not to have been put down at the rescue centre, they spent most of the time trying to talk me out of having him, but i can honestly say that apart from this dog aggression he has been the perfect pet. In three years he has never once had to be corrected for anything apart from his dog aggresssion!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alfiemoon

Alfiemoon New Member

Name:
    SARA
    My Amber is a superstar with any and all other dogs, in fact when we fostered we would use her to assess what the foster was like with other dogs. Bless her, she has been attacked by a few dogs in her time (inc my sisters GSD now at rainbow bridge and ended up having her face stitched - she never retaliated though and still wanted to be friends).

The picture is of Amber with our bullie Alfie and Rosie the rotti we fostered for 6 months (she came to us as a starvation case)

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  4. Kristina

Kristina New Member

Name:
    Kris
    i dont have a staff but my nan does. Anna is a very small staff crossed with a lab so she isnt pure staff. Anyway she has had aggressive/highly dominant tendancies from about day 7 and they had struggled to control her at times. She has tried to dominate everyone in the household (my nan, my mum and my dad plus visitors!) and growls, snaps, barks and tries to bite when she cant have her own way. She is a lot better now but has also gone for my Inuit before and they have had a few rucks. Vienna (my dog) was taught bite inhibition from day one as she is a large breed and the best part of 6 -8 times the size of Anna, however, Anna has not been successfully taught bite inhibition. Whenever they scrap, Vienna has only once drawn blood from a small nick on Anna's ear but Anna is regularly scarring Vienna! Once i saw Anna clamp on to Vienna's nose and stay on there until i could pull her off (no feet on the ground!).
    Anyway, while her behaviour has come a long way, my family have been unable to stop her occasional aggression and although the only dog she has ever attacked has been mine (and always over a possession) they now always have a soft muzzle on her whenever she is out of the house.
    But if you are asking me if i think staffy's are aggrerssive dogs then my answer is NO. Every dog has its own personality and while Anna is dominant and can be aggressive (to any challenger be it dog or human) every other staffy i have known has been soft as fudge and without an ounce of aggression.
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

Name:
    Callum
    Jack is nearly 11mnths and is totally soft puppy playful he could be repeatedly attacked or jumped on and get up wag his tail and bound about :D Permenantly playful.

Tank is 16mnths and is very playful also and would never start a fight BUT will end it. We are aware of this so she is treated as such when out. Aggression from another dog could result in a bit of an issue.
    Tiny is the same as Tank (although not staffy) but if anything potentially way more aggressive than the staffies ;-)

Vgood thread ;-)
  6. chazwaz

chazwaz New Member

Name:
    paula
    my staffy cross is aggressive on the lead but loves to play when off so i leave him off now and just watch him closely but he just runs off anyway if the other dog goes for him he is only 14 months old so is still learning but were getting there he was a nightmere at first some dogs need firm but fair training and to be honest ive nearly chucked in the towel a few times but refuse to give up at the moment he loves his ball so thats a good distraction, he is a beauty.
  7. Vikvak

Vikvak New Member

Name:
    Vikki
    my stella was fine with other dogs until a westie attacked her now she is always ready to attack smaller dogs especially if they are yapping at her.
  8. lore

lore New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    Have to say, he's still the same, loves to play. As in a previous post, met a retriever yesterday up in the woods and I swear both dogs were wagging so hard I was waiting for someone to take off...the owner of the retriever was well chuffed cause she was inexperienced and wasn't sure how her dog would react to another male.
  9. Callum

Callum New Member

Name:
    Callum
    Excellent to hear he's doing so well. ;-)
  10. clydey

clydey New Member

Name:
    EMILY
    So far so good she`s still only a baby but she is well socialized and seems to love the company of other dogs:grin: