Which terrier?

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by Londinia, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Londinia

Londinia New Member

Name:
    Denise

Which terrier?

Hello all

I’ve never owned a dog before. I’ve a good amount of time in the day to devote to a dog. I’d like a terrier (to be a pest controller first and foremost) but also an intelligent companion. I’d like a small dog which will be happy to sit on my lap but catch mice too. I have a visiting 5 and 8 year old at times so it needs to be a breed which is child-friendly and visitor friendly as I also teach children at home every Saturday. I’m not mad about long-haired dogs.

Is there a terrier which would tick all those boxes, please?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Both Jack Russell and Parson Jack Russell Terriers are noted for vermin control, and can come with either semi rough or smooth coats, but all of the rough coated terrier breeds can be stripped to keep their jackets short.
    Border Terriers are a game but affectionate small terrier, and as long as the puppy is familiarised with children from the start, there should be no problem. Always see puppies with their mother to give a good idea of the future character of your puppy.
    I would recommend visiting either Discover Dogs, or a Terrier breeds dog show to see the variety of breeds available, and have a word with some of the breeders - when the judging is over is the best time.
    Your avatar name suggests that you are in the UK? There is a website called www.dogshowcentral.co.uk which gives the dates and locations of future shows. There is also information on The Kennel Club site. Look for a show with either Terrier in the title, or a General Championship show - and visit on the Terrier day. Unfortunately the shows do slow down a little in the Winter.