Which Whistle Works Best For Gundogs? Training

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by SLB, Jan 20, 2011.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Which Whistle Works Best For Gundogs?

I've just been on a gundog site to find a good whistle for Louie to start training him on recall.

Anyway this site allows you to hear the the sound of a couple of whistles - Louie listened but wasn't very interested.

So what Whistle do you use?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. paulandfloyd

paulandfloyd

Name:
    Paul
    Acme 210 1/2 is the most common, did the breeder use a whistle?
  4. paulandfloyd

paulandfloyd

Name:
    Paul
  5. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I have Acme 11 1/2 whistles...three sharp pips for the 'come' command. :)
  6. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
  7. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Personally I don't think it makes much difference I use the one I like and my dog seems fine with it. Some you have to blow harder to get a clear whistle it makes my ears ring so I'm not keen on them. I'd pick one your happy with and stick with it - keep it simple.
  8. Rolosmum

Rolosmum New Member

Name:
    Lynn
    This is the one that is recommended for spaniels.
  9. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I use the higher pitched Acme whistle for my lot, can't remember if it's the 210 1/2 or 211 1/2 without looking though?

Either way it doesn't matter what whistle you use, it's the training that's more significant. :D
  10. paulandfloyd

paulandfloyd

Name:
    Paul
    210 ½ is recommended for spaniels as it has a good range and a higher frequency, to get their attention with. It’s also good with old and hard of hearing dogs.

211 ½ is what is preferred by Labrador gundog trainers, it also has a lower frequency than 210 ½, so is a bit easier on the ears.
  11. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Is there an inbetween? Louie is half and half ;)

He's good with my whistle which is my fingers in my mouth but it isn't really good when I have gloves on or I don't position my fingers right - hence the need of a whistle.

Thanks for the help guys and I will get the spaniel one as I have noticed he does work like a springer and has longer ears than a lab, but if not - the lab whistle should work.

I don't know if his mum - who I know was a working Springer was used with a whistle. We had no intention of using a whistle until recently.

Thanks guys :)
  12. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    I have a 211.5 that I would swap for a 210.5 if you got it and changed your mind.

I only just found out that there was a difference depending on dog type so it would be interesting to try the different frequency.

Does anyone use a 212?
  13. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Acme 211 in fluorescent orange cos I keep losing them.
    You have to train the dog to respond to the whistle. Whistle at dinner time etc. :grin:
  14. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Erm, the one it comes back to.

Surely there isn't a rule to the type of whistle, it's more about the training with a whistle?
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    A common mistake, focusing on the tool (eg whistle, collar, lead) rather than the training.

A dog will not "automatically" recall to a whistle any more than it will to a hand signal or a vocal command. It has to be taught to do so.

The main advantages of a whistle is that it travels further (very important if you are working a dog in the field at some distance) and that it is consistent (ie it does not matter who uses it or if you have lost your voice to a cold etc) and unemotional.

A dog will respond to whatever you train your dog to respond to, whether it is a gundog whistle, shepherds or referee!

I use a shepherds's lip whistle as it travels further and you can very the tone, a gundog whistle only has one pitch, and it is the number and length of the pips that provide commands. A sheepdog whistle means you can have a lot more variation and thus a lot more commands.

If you only want a recall then it matters not what model you buy! ;)I have found that HPRs respond to all sorts! ;)
  16. paulandfloyd

paulandfloyd

Name:
    Paul
    There isnt a 212.

Paul
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Er I think you will find there is! ;)
  18. paulandfloyd

paulandfloyd

Name:
    Paul
    She hasn’t got a HPR; a gundog whistle doesn’t just have one pitch it varies anything up to 20 +/- depending on how hard you blow.

Like I said 210 ½ is very successful with spaniels, due to its high pitch.

SLB; if you want Something in-between buy the 211.5
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
  19. paulandfloyd

paulandfloyd

Name:
    Paul
    There is but its more for the professional field trialers.
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Er yes I know she does not have an HPR! ;) The pitch of a whistle is irrelevant re breed. Most people end up with a particular pitch as they do what the original poster has done here, ask someone what THEY use and follow!

Cockers, Springers, Field, Sussex etc Spaniels respond to a variety of tones.

Retrievers whether Labrador, Golden, Flatcoat, Chessie or Curlies do the same! ;)

Let me put it this way, you cannot blow a tune on a gundog whistle, but you can play "Rule Brittania" on a sheepdog whistle! ;)
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There is but its more for the professional field trialers.

The question was "has anyone used a 212", the answer you gave was incorrect.

There is nothing to stop ANYONE using a 212, whatever dog they work, whether they are an amateur or professional and whether for Field Trial use or pleasure!