Whippet Discussions

Discussion in 'Whippet' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Whippet

Whippet
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katyb

katyb New Member

Name:
    Katy
    The origin of the Whippet is somewhat obscure, although dogs of whippet type and shape have been know in England for may hundreds of years. In medieval days both large and small greyhounds were kept, and the latter would obviously be the ancestors of the modern Whippet.

The word whippet was generally used to describle any quick moving little dog, and it is only in the late nineteenth century that the Whippet was recognised as a separate breed.
    The breed was first popularised in the Midlands and the North, with Whippet racing in mining areas, and until the First World War this sport was much more popular than greyhound racing; no racehorse received more care in its training than a mining family's whippet.

The Whippet was recognised as a pure breed by the Kennel Club in the late ninteenth century, and The Whippet Club was formed in 1899, the first Whippet breed club in the world. Since then the numbers have grown dramatically, and the breed is now one of the most popular in the Hound Group, with no less than eleven breed clubs in the United Kingdom
    Temperament

Whippets are gentle and lovable pets to live with. The Whippet is a hound and therefore will chase more or less anything that moves - so an enclosed garden is essential. He likes nothing better than a run over the fields, but will always return when called.
    He is happy in close association with his human family and will take a full part in the family fun. But he was bred to race, hunt and course, and so he must have his good run every day - and then, being rather sophisticated for a dog, he will be happy to curl up quietly in a corner of your best sofa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. rob

rob

[img-big]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/rob3682/100_0499.jpg[/img-big]
    Bob after his morning walk, your spot on about whippets Kateb :lol:
  5. Longdog

Longdog New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi Rob

What breeding is your whippet??

Do u show him?
  6. rob

rob

Bob's from the Wolfscastle Whippets
    His father is Oakbark Man of Gold of Wolfscastle and his mother is Willingwisp Violet of Wolfscastle

No we dont show him as he is a bit too tall:lol: :lol:
  7. nygreys

nygreys New Member

Name:
    dee
    OMG, Bob is sooo cute! :smt007
  8. rob

rob

thanks nygreys:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  9. SusanW

SusanW New Member

Name:
    Susan
    My whippets :grin:

Robbie,,,Rch/Nch/Scot Ch Guess Who

(Rch /Sup Nch Spellbound X Rch/Nch Storm Damage )

[​IMG]

Ricky,,,,Scot Ch Guess When

(Mickey Mac X Fullstop)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And the pup Gizmo,,,Guess Again

Gizmo,,,(Rch/Nch/Scot Champ Guess Who X Sup Rch/CH CH Demotition Blue)

All my dogs are non ped racing whippets.
  10. Fast-Crew

Fast-Crew New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I'm wondering, this is a UK site, is there as big a controversy in Europe about "long hair whippets" as there is in the states?
  11. Fast-Crew

Fast-Crew New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Here's my guy, Ahmal;

[​IMG]

:grin:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  12. fellowdoglover

fellowdoglover New Member

Name:
    JAX
    Hi There!
    We are chris,Jacquie and Pars from sunny Birmingham

Some lovely pics of whippets here! Dont u just love them!
    Mine are litter brothers aged 15 months-Stirling and Kai

A few pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. ebrcknrdg

ebrcknrdg New Member

Name:
    Emma
    aw they r so sweet! brotherly love in the fourth pic! do u race them?
  14. fellowdoglover

fellowdoglover New Member

Name:
    JAX
    Thank you for your very kind comments.
    Their Grandfather was a racing champ back up in Scotland.
    The have been for trials and loved every min!Will be going back later in year too.
    Mainly they are pets.
  15. AussieGeek

AussieGeek New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Awww!! The fourth pic is really cute. They must be pretty close huh?
  16. Bonnylee

Bonnylee New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Hi there
    Your two boys look just like my girls, Misty and Violet. Mum & daughter.
    Who is the father of yours? Mine are by Carl's Lad (Lord of the Knight. I also have a blue/brindle boy of 5 months, he is called Sonny, and is by Ch. Fullerton Dream Mover. Will try and send some pics, when I've sussed it.
    Leex
  17. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    By Long Haired Whippets do you mean Silken Windhounds?
  18. Fast-Crew

Fast-Crew New Member

Name:
    Elaine

No, "Silken Windhounds" acknowledge they're a borzoi/whippet mix, likely to distance or remove themselves from the Long Haired controversy. Beautiful dogs, they look like miniature borzoi. There is a connection though as the foundation of the Silkenwindhound was supposedly a long hair whippet.

Long Haired whippets were (maybe still are??) called "Silken Windsprites". There seem to be two camps on this. One side says that whippets were originally bred with two coat types (three if you want to get into the Wire Hair controversy), long hair and smooth. The theory is that because long hair is a recessive trait, they don't show up very often and were forgotten from history.

The other camp argues that they were never available in two types and believe any existing long hairs today are nothing more than "created mutts" being passed off as whippets.

.........clear as mud, right?? :lol:

Anyway, I'm just curious if this is an American controversy or if it extends over the pond?
  19. pat182

pat182 New Member

Name:
    pat
    hi there i've just joined so i could get some help and advice as i'd like to get a whippet.
    i wondered if there is any advice that any of u feel i really need to know with regards this breed & also if anyone could recommend any breeders in England i actually live in Nottingham currently but am prepared to travel.
    i probably know the answer to this question already but how r they on thier own would u recommend getting 2 for company, more often than not i am home luckily or someone will be but what i mean do they like the company of another dog.
    thanks for any help you can give
    pat
  20. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Pat :) my friend had whippets and my next door neighbour has two. I find them calm gentle dogs. Regarding exercise they like short fast runs then are happy to curl up and sleep or just be around you. I would not get two together because they will tend to bond with each other rather than you and it is more difficult to train two at once, why not get one now then another about 18 months later ,:) ( Most good breeders won't sell two puppies together anyway )
    Info on whippets..
    http://www.dogsey.com/whippet.htm

If I was looking for a whippet I would start my search by contacting the secretary of the breed club who may have a list of approved breeders. Normally breeders on a breed club list are expected to abide by the breed code of ethics .

http://www.thewhippetclub.com/
    ..click on 'breed clubs 'in the menu..
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2007
  21. pat182

pat182 New Member

Name:
    pat
    thanks very much for your help :)