White GSDs are undesirable? Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by TabithaJ, Jul 22, 2011.

1. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    The maremmas are not herders they are guarders, they guard from within the flock. When my friend & I used to walk through sheep with my GSD & her maremma the sheep would come up to her dog but would run from mine.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    The Nazis have absolutely nothing to do with colour changes in the breed standard; the original standard was put up on Sept 20, 1899 at Frankfort according to the proposals of Captain v. Stephanitz and Herrn A Meyer, there were changes made 28th July 1901 at Heidelburg and on Sept 17th 1909 and finally adopted 5th Sept 1930 at Wiesbaden.
    The following is the translation of the German Standard adopted by the SV and published in Vol. XI of its Koerbuch
    Colour
    Black, iron-grey, ash-grey, red-fawn, red-brown, either uniform or with regular red-brown up to white-grey markings, fawns also with black saddle: pure white only in the case of the long-coated Old German dogs, seldom white mixed with dark patches (blue, red, roan etc.), mostly dark-cloudy (black tinge on grey, yellow, red-yellow, or light-brown ground with the corresponding light markings), the so-called wolf-colouring, the original colour of the greyhound. White markings on chest and feet allowed.
    Faults
    (i am just listing those in relation to colour)
    ...more pronounced paling of colour, albinism (ie albinoes entirely lacking pigment, such as red nose etc.); these should be as little "angekoert" or awarded prizes at shows as the whitish ones (ie almost or pure white dogs with black noses); excepted here are the long-haired Old German dogs.

Whites were not allowed then apart from in an Altdeutsche type from the North, and Captain Stephanitz was still president of the SV
  4. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    the problem is that none of these breeders can produce a 5 generation health pedigree of tested and low scored dogs
    you can be accredited breeder because you health test (tick the box so to speak) the KC dont bother about that these then go on and use high scored animals for breeding
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I haven't read the whole thread but off the top of my head, wasn't one of the earlier dogs white? Then it was decided white was undesirable and they began culling white puppies? I maybe wrong or half right but I seem to remember reading that in a book......will see if I can dig out the book.
  6. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    the type you refer to was the long haired Alt Deustche mentioned in my previous thread they are still around today
    when trying to develop a national type of sheepdog instead of all the regional ones they used this type which comes in all colours including white, there was even a fancy type bred in Brunswick that was white with grey/black patches possible the Tiger which again is around today. After 1914 they appeared a lot of paling dogs and they believed these were degenerating the breeding values/quality and they then noted that 'yellow' dogs should be only bred with dark dogs.
  7. Angie1966

Angie1966 New Member

Name:
    Angie
    Here here!!!! :038: :038: :038: