Why do you think people who own N.I's usually have more than one ? Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by inkliveeva, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Err....Gabe does not play, he will tolerate youngsters around him and deal with the full on mouth apologies they have to bestow on him.
    Tass has never really been one for playing - but occasionally will incite another dog into a tug game
    Trip is all Paws - if the other dog can spend the time winning her round (usually takes a couple of weeks minimum) and its a very tentative process for the other dog!
    Siren likes chase games - she loves doing the chasing and being chased - but will also do some Jaw clacking.
    Zeff.....Zeff is up for anything - anyone - as long as the want to play its all good! He does get on particularly well with Labs at the moment.
    Found this short video of Siren and Trip - but it is very characteristic of how Siren plays
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Funny how u both mention your dogs not being so keen on collies, this isnt just an NI thing but very common with many other dog breeds. It is down to the collies breeding as they tend to eyeball other animals (which they need to do when herding sheep as they were bred for) and as we all know maintaining eye contact can be intimidating and/or taken as a threat. So i personally would not put your dogs at fault for their reaction toward a collie.

That is a sweeping statement so i will also add that not ALL collies do this, but a lot of the working bred ones do, the remaining will prob be down to association :grin:

ETA - All my guys are great with other dogs whatever their breed or cross, apart from when Nanuq is due in season... pmt lol
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  4. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Thanks for that Cheyenne...makes total sense, Inka is very non confrontational, so eye balling would worry him x
  5. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I agree that a lot of people seem to add a second pretty soon after having a first because they want to breed ....

Otherwise it must just be like so many dog breeds - one is not enough.

I always see mini schnauzers and shelties in pairs ..
  6. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I think it's like any breed or type, some people liek to have more than one of similar - others like to have complementary but very different breeds...it's all relative.
    I'd possibly have another grey in the future, but right now I'm very happy having just my boy.
  7. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    oh yes snicky snicky collies lol... i said 'oddly enough' cos they live with one (and another for part of the year) :)
  8. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    :evil: :evil:

:lol:
  9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I think if you have made the right choice that fits you & your lifestyle, then it's logical that you would want another of the same kind.

I've heard it said with Belgian Shepherds - "You'd either never have another one, or never have another breed." And I think..... if you do gel with a breed, then why look any further? I would personally love to have another Belgian, pure-bred this time.

Maybe in the future as I get older and less-able, I may have to choose a different dog. Belgians often live for 15 years which means if I had another puppy now I could be 63 by the time it passes on.... i.e. by then, most likely not of an age or level of fitness where I could cope well with a Belgian puppy..... but for now, I won't fix what isn't broken, and i will enjoy whatever I can while I can ;)