Why is my Border collie doing this? Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Potatoes70, Jul 23, 2023.

1. Potatoes70

Potatoes70 New Member

Name:
    Michelle

Why is my Border collie doing this?

I have a 5 month old Border Collie female, i have been doing recall work with her and i only drop her long line or lead to give her a run since she needs lots of excerise but sometimes she will just get a burst of energy and will run around the field like crazy but stay close to me yet sometimes it can be a little tricky to get her back. She did it today but she had lay down and i got a hold of her leash instead of her bolting again which is a huge improvement. Just wondering what may be the cause as nor treats or toys will get her back?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sounds like she is playing. It's fun to run around while you try to grab for her leash. She's a puppy, so having fun is the biggest enticement.

Try this:

When she starts running around, just sit down on the ground where you are and call her to you in the happiest voice you can do. When she comes over to her, give her a ton of love and praise. And THEN take her leash and run WITH her for a bit or play WITH her with a favorite toy. Her running from / avoiding you is because she's playing with you. So teach her that when she comes to you, you will give her that.

The idea is to teach her that #1 - coming to you is ALWAYS good, and #2 - that after her time running around, the fun isn't over, she still has play time with you.

By sitting down, you are telling her that you aren't going to chase her, but you are at her level so she isn't being controlled and that you are wanting to interact with her. It's a psychological thing.

And remember, never ever call her to you and reprimand her for something. EVERY TIME you call her name it needs to be a positive and happy experience.

As she grows up, this will calm down too - she's still just a puppy.