Wolfalike/Wolfdog - whats your breed and why? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by alady??, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Thanks for that confirmation Geezer! I couldn't remember if F3's were exempt under the new DEFRA rules, or not.
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: re the tripey farts - they are GROSS aren't they !!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Yes indeed, I hope so too.
  4. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Add to that, if it was imported, it should be still in quarantine, as it certainly wouldn't qualify for a pasport. Although, I didn't think it was legal to import a pup that young.

Ree's dogs do look lovely though.
  5. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I am not up on the quarantine laws, but it makes sense.

They are gorgeous looking indeed.
  6. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    From what I understand of the quarantine laws, if your dog doesn't have a pet pasport, it has to spend 6 months in quarantine. The pet pasport system requires various health checks, blood tests, rabies vacs, 6 months prior to importation, as well as paper work having to be completed correctly, before your dog is allowed in the uk without going through normal quarantine procedure. I think dogs have to be several months old 10 I think, before you can import them, pasport or not. Also, not all airlines will take animals, so not only do you have to find a suitable airline/rout, but you have to have suitable transport crates, for your dog to travel in. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

There are different laws for commercial importation of animals, but I don't know what those are.

Also, like I mentioned earlier, dwa's have their own set of rules and regs, including an option of quarantining the animal yourself, after site inspections etc.
  7. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    That sounds sensible Tazer - although I think it was Muddiwarx that raised the point about "working" dogs - ie army, police etc - having to go into quarantine.

It's not something that we would have to worry about, as I don't have Tai vaccinated - I wouldn't therefore be granted a passport, and I would NEVER impose 6 months separation on my dog, so for us there can never be any foreign holidays, but that's another story.

I do hope Rees hasn't been frightened away - I would love to talk to him/her about her dogs.
  8. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Me too.:)
  9. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Many people have pet passports and there is nothing sinister about them. The animal has to be 3 months old before it gets the vaccine and then you wait a month for the titer test; if this is ok then you must wait a further 6 months to enter the UK (or leave if you are only planning a short trip). This is not the same as quarantine. The passport only allows you access to certain countries, hence SAR dogs often have to stay in quarantine on their return.

There are some who flout these laws and smuggle dogs/ wolfdogs into the UK. They are breaking the law, a law which is there for a good reason. Rabies is a horrible disease for which there is no cure. The Uk is less secure than other European nations because there is no generalised vaccination program so that in the relatively unlikely event of an outbreak in the UK only those with pet passports will be 'safe' when the general cull comes ( as it did during the last scare).

It appears that wolves and wolfdogs may have greater resistance to the rabies vaccine, hence the titer test. If an animal fails the test it will have to be re vaccinated and the procedure re started (from experience).

In the case discussed here then everything should be fine as the poster said they had documents.

Nice looking dogs too.
  10. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    This is what I was told when I wanted to import an Azawakh puppy to Ireland, the breeder wouldnt do it as the pup would be 10 months old and she thought harder to bond with, she likes her pups to go to their new homes at 8-10 weeks and feels it would be unfair to the puppy, especially as the Azawakh is a very aloof dog anyway and need to bond at a very early age, I can totally see her point, but I was extremely dissapointed.
  11. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Just looked up these bogs and they are lovely! I would one day love a Saluki and these remong me of them but with less hair. There looks to be a couple of breeders in the uk now.
  12. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    hi :grin:
    wether it is passport or export the pup would not be able to leave whatever country the pup was in until after at least one rabies vaccination,this can be given as early as 6 weeks but still requires another at 12 weeks,this pup was not old enough for export,no paperwork would of been supplied and the rules are the same wether 'army' or civilian.
    also,we were advised that alot of dogs were failing the titre test so to give two vaccines two weeks apart.;-) :mrgreen:
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Azawakhs are amazing, but definitely not suited to most. I know somebody that has a few, show Pharaoh Hounds aswell, there are a good many in the UK now, have been for over 10yrs.

Their skin in paper thin and they "tear" very easily and they scar badly. They are aloof, dignified and sometimes aggressive, they are not backwards in coming forwards, but I am totally smitten with them.
  14. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Some breeders also give 2 vaccines for export pups bound for the UK. But either way this pup would still need the titer test followed by the 6 month wait that the UK requires or face quarantine.

As for the US Military exporting wolfdogs they have (in the US) a ban on personnel in army housing owning wolfdogs., This is part of the Breed Specific Legislation craze sweeping the states (they include pit bulls etc).
    ;-) ;-)
  15. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    im agreeing with you wdo!! :roll: :roll: ;-) ;-) :mrgreen:
  16. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    Me too, first met one at discover dogs at crufts a few year ago, I also like the Sloughi but the Azawakh just has the edge. I was told by the lady at Timboktou Azawakhs that there were only a few over here and no-one breeding(oops Uk), she gave me the email of a woman that had 3 but no plans to breed for a few years, sorry for going off topic guys lol.