Wolfalike/Wolfdog - whats your breed and why? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by alady??, Jul 3, 2009.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    ps the Red one reminds me of the pic you have provided of a Coyote.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
  4. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Must be the common ancestry!

As for the movies; 'wolfdogs' have often be played by GSDs as well (even less convincing). Kavik the wolfdog in the 1980s and 'The Wolfdog' in 1958 (where the part seemed to be played by at least 2 different dogs!) spring to mind.
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  6. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    There are a huge number of subspecies that scientists like to argue about. The maned wolf isn't a wolf and the Ethiopian wolf isn't either (strictly speaking). The Honshu wolf looks a bit sick in the photo...

As many believe that the Red wolf is nothing more than a wolf/coyote hybrid then the resemblance is not too surprising

Interesting to note the larger and more triangular ears of the European wolf and its subspecies (signatus, italicus etc). The Saarloos and Czech wolfdogs haven't a chance in the ear department to resemble their North American cousins.
  7. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    I know someone who had their wolfdog painted black for a tv commercial in italy (channel perfume or something)... No one noticed it wasn't a real wolf!
  8. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
  9. ingi

ingi New Member

Name:
    Jonathan
    It is, they are extinct now.
  10. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

Ref fluffy wolves etc, I watched a couple of programmes last week which also suggested that those are not the wolves that dogs have come from due to both their location and the fact that those wolves are very hard to 'tame' unless you have aquired them very, very young which the researcher said is highly unlikely considering the habbits of early 'man'. Apparently much reseach has been conducted and some are pretty convinced that our dogs today date back to East Asia.
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  12. annmarie

annmarie New Member

Name:
    annmarie
    [​IMG]

definately a dog
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    And a very gorgeous one at that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  14. Lunakitty321

Lunakitty321 New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    I agree Rachel. If I really wanted just to "capture the spirit of the wolf" I could have easily gone and found wolf-dog breeders, or wolf hybrid breeders, or even the NAID or a Tamaskan that seems to have found its way out to the states...but I didn't. None of them have what I was looking for... a DOG that could be easily trained. When researching them, they seemed like "super" huskies...now I have Lupa, and she's far more perfect then I could ever have imagined.

And my favorite animal is humpback whale :lol: Wolves are interesting, but not where my wild heart is :mrgreen:
  15. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Awwww bless you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  16. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    How true, you could have easily accessed a wolf cross, good for you :001:
  17. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Not quite sure why people who want a wolfie looking dog that is a dog (NI or NIx Tamaskan etc) are being looked down upon to be honest or why they are being referred to as new age hippies. Most people are attracted to dogs that they like the look of. There may well be a balance that includes temperament as well. There's quite a few on here that dream about the spirit of the wolf and doubtless have dream catchers and all that stuff but so what?
  18. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    oi!! leave the ears out of it!!;-) ;-)
  19. Ree

Ree New Member

Name:
    Ree
    Just to give the flip side of the coin
    Shadow (on the right) is a wolf hybrid, she was imported at 2 weeks from the us, attempted to be sold for an extortionate amount of money and then finally rescued at 5 weeks old by me.
    [​IMG]
    She actually is 50% arctic wolf and yet nearly every single person that stops us says "oh my, what a lovely Alsatian"

meh.. to me shes my baby girl and that's all that matters
  20. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I didnt think that kind of cross was allowed in the UK? How do you know she is a wolf cross and not just sold as one?
  21. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie

2 weeks?

You can't import pups to the UK until they are well over 6 months because of the rabies titres ....

or are you not in the UK???