Wolfalike/Wolfdog - whats your breed and why? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by alady??, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Ree

Ree New Member

Name:
    Ree
    im in the uk,
    She was imported through the military with a set of papers and a passport, TBH im not quite sure how, as i say i took her from a woman who couldnt be bothered or wouldnt be bothered to go through all the official channels so the little darling wouldnt be destroyed. I've got her fully licensed and registered, under DDA, insured up to high heaven for every eventuality and have a contract that she must not be sold or bred from at all (this was done in the past couple of months, so i could keep her)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I always thought part of the license was that they have to be in a secure enclosure not in a house and are treated like wild animals not pets. Interesting to hear otherwise.
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Sorry not believing that for a moment, no vaccs, no med checks, not even weaned!!!
  5. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Depends on the "F" ness - F1's and F2's have to be kept in a secure enclosure ... not sure about F3's as well, but I THINK it is just 1's and 2's.
  6. Ree

Ree New Member

Name:
    Ree
    well
    shes not allowed off a lead, shes got to have a secure concrete yard with a fence at least 6ft, no breeding, no going unneutered. Regular checks in, vet reports, all jabs ect
    Its pretty much standard what i would do for my other dog ( husky / mal) anyway really apart from the slightest show of aggression and she has to go.
    Ive never been through these channels before so i dont know how it would normally differ from any other dda case, but i assume they just use the same guidelines as they would for do for an aggressive dog.
  7. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Can't imagine why this would be covered under the Dangerous Dogs Act. No airline 'military' or otherwise would export a two week old puppy.
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I agree, can you imagine the headlines especially now the dog is in "public" hands!! The military bringing Wolf hybrids in? Dont think so!:mrgreen:

Who bred the dog Ree? Where did she come from?
  9. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I think who ever you got your dog from hasn't been honist with you, wether diliberately or otherwise.

If your dog is first generation (f1) then it will be covered by the dwa (dangerous wild animals act) not the dda.

Does defra know?. With the amount of trouble czech and saarloos wolfdog owners went through to get their dogs removed from the dwa, I'm highly doubtfull they'd let you keep your dog without all of the dwa requirements.

Which includes, zoo style enclosures, with the proper escape procedure in place, that means no walkies for your dog, out of your property. I think you need a transport licence to move dwa's off site. Basicly, you are expected to house and keep your wolfdog of first or second generation like a tiger/lion/crocodile or any other wild animal, that is potentially dangerous to you or the public. Your average 6 ft fenced garden wouldn't get you a dwal.

I'm doubtfull your dog is infact 50% wolf.
  10. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I thought it was 5 weeks old? I think that 2 weeks could have been a typo from Muddiwarx ?
  11. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Who has said it was an F1? Or an F anything for that matter. Just because the dog is a 50% wolf cross, it does not mean that it is an F1. The progeny from a mating between 2 x 50% wolf crosses, will themselves be 50% wolf crosses.

Why should you be doubtful that the dog is 50% wolf? Do you know the poster? Do you know the dog?

I find it extraordinary that such conclusions should be reached without being privey to the FACTS.
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    No, the post said:
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yeah imagine that!:roll: Think about it, the military importing two week old wolf hybrids!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Not only that a woman then owning it, but couldnt cope with it 3 weeks later so another member of the public had it!!!!
  14. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I said if, it was f1/f2 not that it was. I then explained what in my limited understanding of the procedures for dwa animals were, for if it was indeed an f1/f2.

If you yourself havn't met the dog, you can't say it is, more than I can suspect that it might not be. The fact is, there are things that don't quite add up to me, like how a pup can be legally imported at such a young age.

Hopefully, the poster will be back, to explain a bit more.
  15. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Also, last time I checked, the quarantine period for unpasported dogs was 6 months. As far as I'm aware, you can't self-quarantine domestic dogs, like you can dwa imports subject to inspection prior to importation, and correct paperwork. So, quite unlikely this pup was legally imported, or imported at all.
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I think somebody is telling porky pies.:002:
  17. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    There a lot of things that dont add up here so I agree with borderdawn *shock* lol .

Also it was said the dog was an arctic wolf x sibe which would make her an f1 cross if correct. Thats why i was surprised she was being kept like a normalpet dog would be.
  18. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I agree, it does seem that way.
  19. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    The DDA isn't generally for this purpose - it is for potential Pit Bulls and their lookalikes :(

No dog can be brought into the UK at that age - military,POlice or otherwise - this is why our poor hard working dogs used in earthquake searches etc end up stuck in quarantine aftrewards and so many military dogs PTS :(
  20. geezer

geezer New Member

Name:
    Jon
    Nice looking dogs

The Dangerous Dogs Act covers 4 different breeds specifically and ONLY- Pit bull terrier; japanese tosa, dogo argentino; and Fila Brasiliero. Obviously the act also covers crossbreeds of the above 4 dog breeds.

Any dog (even with wolf in it!) that does not have any of these 4 types in its breeding is NOT covered by the act in any way.

Wolf hybrids/wolfdogs are covered under the DEFRA "Dangerous Wild Animals" act. F3 and above animals require ABSOLUTELY NO special containment by law. F1/F2 definately do and are not, as far as im aware, permitted to be walked around town on a lead or otherwise.

My Saarloos crosses' tripey farts, however, should definately be considered under some sort of toxic waste legislation! The smell as I sit here typing is horrendous!
  21. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I missed that bit, I thought the pup was imported at 5 weeks ... must get some new glasses!

It does seem rather strange. Whereas with F1's in particular, it is always recommended that the pups are taken away from the dam at the latest 3 weeks, to export or import a 2 week old pup is a completely different kettle of fish, and certainly not something I would ever wish to entertain - and you know my love of wolves and wolf crosses.

I do not hold with the view that high % wolf crosses should be taken off the dam before 5 weeks. I am just merely stating that it does seem odd indeed that a pup as young as 2 weeks would be imported into this country through - of all channels - a military one.

I hope that Ree hasn't been frightened off, because I love the look of both her dogs, but in particular the wolf cross.