Wolfhound/Deerhound - what's the basic differences please? Questions

Discussion in 'Deerhound' started by Evie, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Evie

Evie New Member

Name:
    Evie

Wolfhound/Deerhound - what's the basic differences please?

Hi,

I know nothing really about these two breeds. Apart from knowing a few irish wolfhounds in the past, that's literally it. Out in the car today my partner pointed out a "deerhound" and I questioned wether it might be a wolfhound.... We both realised we have no idea what the differences are between the two....

So for a complete novice, and out of curiosty's sake;
    How do we tell the difference between the two breeds please?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Apart from the fact that they share similar coat colours they are very different. The construction and substance is not in the least alike.

To put it in easy terms the deerhound is refined and elegant in construction the Irish Wolfhound is in comparison solid and well built.

A IW is the tallest dog we have and although it may not be the heaviest it is never delicate the head and leg bone in particular is often described as substantial and the temperament is also solid and unhurried.

The Deerhound is more delicate with finer bone and lighter movement, more likely to be seen moving about at speed.

Both are lovely breeds but once you get to know them they are nothing alike in looks or character.

You do get poor examples in both breeds the deerhound being too heavy and substantial and the IW being light of bone and lacking substance - however the head is always a very definite shape and once you know it you will not make a mistake although reading the standard does not make this as clear as it might you have to see the animals.

Once adult the deerhound moves in a similar manner to other sighthounds the IW moves in a far more heavy determined fashion.

Think the only way to find out the differences is to look at them one after the other taking special note of the head shape and size and the thickness of the front legs also the adult IW will be not only bigger but taller than the Deerhound.
  4. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I have a friend who has Deerhounds I used to show them sometimes gorgeous dogs.

I would have said IW were stronger in head and more substantial all over so I'm quite chuffed that Jackie agrees:blush:
  5. Evie

Evie New Member

Name:
    Evie
    That's for that, Pita & Cava14una. Makes alot of sense reading it. Hopefully I'll be able to tell the difference the next time I see one or other! :grin:

From what you guys have said I'd say the one we seen yesterday was a wolfhound.
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Off shopping now but when I have a moment I will see if I can post a picture of the heads of the two breeds and you will see how different they are.

PS - glad to be of help
  7. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
  8. Evie

Evie New Member

Name:
    Evie
    That would be fab! Thank you so much. :grin: