Working line German shepherds Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by x-clo-x, Apr 8, 2012.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Working line German shepherds

What can people tell me about them?

After having a look at show and working, I prefer the looks of working lines, but that's about as much as I know.

I gather working lines have a stronger drive than show lines? But I don't really know as ive never owned a gsd before.

Could they manage in a "pet" home? Obviously I'm not what I consider a "pet" owner (2 meals a day and a walk round the block) I like the idea of working trials, or maybe even schutzhund. Would this be the kind of thing they need to infill that drive or do they need more?

Any information would be great, and also pictures of course! (hoping Moobli comes along with Zak now ;-) )
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Not sure if my Arrow will do? ;)

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=515728

Like any breed/line they vary in drive and outlook. They do manage in a pet home provided a) the owner is strong enough (they can be very pushy) and b) they have plenty to occupy their brains.

ps you do not have to do WT OR Schuzhund, you could do both. Like me! ;)
  4. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Do you have a preference between WT and Schutzhund at all SB? Just out of interest :)
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    Gorgeous dog :007: I dont really know much about schutzhund but I'm going to look into it.

Gsds are a dog that really interest me now. I never thought they would be a dog I went for, but after walking a coue for a while it made me see first hand what great dogs they seem to be. I'm looking at larger breeds, and thought it may be good to find out a bit more about them. I still want my Weimaraner, but don't know if it's a breed I would like now or later on in life (at only 21, I have plenty of dog owning time)
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

I like both for different reasons.

In Schutzhund the tests are always the same, but the skill is in the polish and precision and control with which you present yourselves. It is the canine equivalent of dressage.

I enjoy the unpredictability of WT and having to trying to train for all the variables you get in the speak and sendaway exercises for example.

The tracking is different in that you can have up to 30 legs in WT as opposed to less than 10 in Schutzhund.

PD is even more fun with all sorts of things that can be thrown at you.
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Whoo hoo another WL GSD thread :grin: :grin: :grin: I could gush about my boy all day long!

He is my fourth GSD and is everything (so far at least!) that I have always wanted and hoped for in a GSD. He is my first working line (I have had a rescue/rehome of mixed lines, an English obedience line, and a WG showline) although I spent quite a lot of time with working lines when with my ex (a police dog instructor). He always tried to encourage me to get a WL, but I always felt they were probably too high drive for me but hoped to have one, one day. I shouldn't have waited so long!

Of course, as SB rightly says, there are varying degrees of drive and temperament etc in WL shepherds and as with everything, it pays to do your research.

I have known the breeder of Zak for about 15 years now and I trusted her judgement when she told me she felt the breeding she had done would be suited to my lifestyle. He is outgoing and biddable, and is ideal as both a training prospect and/or as an active companion. He is a combination of DDR, Belgian and German working lines, that produce level headed, strong nerved dogs. I have found this to be the case with Zak.

For all intents and purposes he is an "active companion", although we do obedience and will also train in working trials when he is a little older. However, I am confident he would be just as happy purely as a companion, so long as he got plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. He is the type of dog you can take anywhere and he just loves to be with you.

A few gratuitous pics :007:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am happy to share more if need be :005:
  8. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Having met the gorgeous Zak in person, I can absolutely say he is perfect. Makes my two nutjobs look like, well, nutjobs :lol:
  9. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Interesting, thanks! I think I'd prefer WT actually, I like unpredictability :mrgreen:
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Aww thank you :) Although yours aren't nutjobs, they are lovely and well behaved - just very busy and active!
  11. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    At the WT training I was at today there was a WL GSD. He seemed solid and of good temprament. The owner was there as the Schutzhund training he was going to was all about manwork and he wanted to try out other things a bit more. He really enjoyed the WT training. His dog was also a pet and gets along brilliantly with his Wife's rescue Sheltie.

One of the people there had just got a pup with WL in it and another has one booked. Both have parentage with Schutzund qualifications, so it seems there's going to be a lot of WL GSDs about in future. All our dogs are pets. WT gives you and your dog a good outlet.
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Schutzhund is a three phase sport.

Tracking
    Obedience
    Protection

You have to gain 70% in each phase and 80% in protection to qualify.

Many people focus on the protection but without control, obedience and of course nosework, qualification is not possible.
  13. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    Interesting, the chap with the WL GSD said the training he was going to lasted about 5 hours, there were about 20 dogs in attendance and only about 10 to 20 mins was spent on Obedience. He hadn't really tracked his dog.
  14. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Why thank you, they are still a work in progress though! :mrgreen: :lol:
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Now if you want to meet a REAL nutjob............... :)
  16. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    :lol: who, me?!? :p
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    No, my GSD.

He IS a nutjob! :)
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Who else has WL GSDs on here?

Scout75. Come on Fi - give us the lowdown on Kofi, as well as lots of lovely pics.

Anyone else?
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    In what way SB? :lol:
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    As his breeder says, he has the drive of a Mali, he is a complete adrenaline junkie! :)
  21. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz

Gorgeous boy.