Working Staffies. Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by minter, Sep 25, 2006.

1. minter

minter New Member

Name:
    mark

Working Staffies.

Came across this the other day and I found it interesting.
    Does any one have any more info on working Staffies?

P.s Im not promoting Hunting or anything else. I am just interested in what work they can and have been used for. I don`t want a debate on hunting.:? :?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2006
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. KatieB_23

KatieB_23 New Member

Name:
    Katie
    That was interesting... A lot of the characteristics seemed very similar to Gadget :)
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They sometimes cross them with Greyhounds to kill Foxes, they have a very quick and powerful strike.
    Dawn.
  5. KatieB_23

KatieB_23 New Member

Name:
    Katie
    Really?!
    Ive thought there might be some greyhound in Gadget. He's got longer skinnier legs than a staffie & a smaller head and very deep chest... runs like a greyhound then sleeps all day :lol:
    He terrorises the foxes in our local woods... one minute I'm thinking "where's Gadget gone?" and the next a fox comes tearing out of the bushes with Gadget close behind! He stops when I shout him though.
  6. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    why not try weight pulling
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Weight pulling is a sport, I wouldnt consider it work, its not what the dog was bred for, likewise agility etc.. Bull Terriers are useful for certain types of vermin control, personally I feel a Border, Russell or Patterdale can do the job equally as well, but of course they cannot do the ground chase on a bolted animal, which is where the Bull/Grey comes into use.
    Dawn.
  8. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Sounds slightly mad but my first staffy bitch my husband used her for working sheep. Okay there weren't many sheep but she worked them
  9. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    agree dawn i dont also consider it work but a great exercise for your dog and generally they love it
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes they do Hayley, terrific strength in them, great to watch. :grin:
    Dawn.
  11. bale844

bale844 New Member

Name:
    JO
    i love watching staffies weight pull, they have such a drive to take on + do well at anything u throw at them.
    on the orig topic, i wldnt b able 2 do it myself but i do know someone whos staffies chase, catch + eat rabbits - on private land o course. jo xx
  12. jannie

jannie New Member

Name:
    snakebite
    Don't want to cause an issue.Usually they are used along with the lurchers to bring down deer.The lad i bought my lurcher pup off used his to bring down deer,fox hunting,till it was banned.Wild boar.The lurcher doesn't have the power to bring game down so they use the staff,it is quiet when bringing down game.If you want to get into the sceen get permission off a local farmer and do rabbiting.
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Id have to disagree with you there, Pure bred Salukis bring down Antelope single handed, the Bull Lurcher was used primarilly for Fox work, as they have a more powerful bite and strike for animals that bite back.
  14. bretto

bretto New Member

Name:
    brett
    what a great
    topic
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Wow! I am intrigued .... more details please :)
  16. donkey

donkey New Member

Name:
    ricky
    mine loves climbing trees, perhaps I could use her to pick fruit lol :grin: