Worming/Flea treatment for water dogs who swim! Health

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by curly, Apr 24, 2014.

1. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne

Worming/Flea treatment for water dogs who swim!

Can anyone suggest the most appropriate worming and flea/parasite treatment regime for Crusoe, the Portuguese Water Dog? He lives next to the sea and swims frequently throughout the year. Most spot-on treatments are not great for him because they all involve periods when he cannot swim. So the edible pill Comfortis was agreat find for him for fleas/parasites. BUT - a little recent weight gain took him to a higher dosage level. I tested this twice and he had a really bad spaced out reaction both times (took him to emergency vet!) I'm reluctantly returning him to the lower dosage (he's lost weight, so I can!) but now I know what it can do to him, I'd prefer something else. The Seresto collar is not great cos it's permanent and will damage his lovely hair/ruff. Lungworm is a major issue here so I'm stuck with monthly Milbemax and monthly Comfortis unless any of you can suggest something better!

To @Jackie also: how do you treat Figo and does he swim a lot? (good luck, btw!) To any water dog owners whose dog swims a lot: what do you give them?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    curly likes this.
    Hi Anne, there is an old but good article on flea treatments over on Dogsey that is worth a good look: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=20146

I, like you, would also be concerned about giving any treatment with such a visible side effect.

I also added the @ sign in front of Jackie's name, so she'll get an alert notifying you have mentioned her in this thread :D
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    For worms i use drontal every 3 months. Cant help with flea stuff as ive not used any for years as my dogs allergic to them all. She has never had fleas though so its not a issue
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I use a liquid wormer I put it over ice cream for my dogs.
    Not 100% sure of name think its something like plancur ?
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    My current dogs have never had fleas, we do treat maybe once a year as a preventative.
    Worming is only ever done once a year and that's drontal. Never seen any signs of worms either.
    According to the insert in frontline they only have to avoid swimming for two days, is that so difficult?
  7. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Thanks for your replies. Will check suggestions out. Have read so many scay things about Comfortis that I've decided not to use it. Looks like it will have to be aspot-on or none at all. Fleas are horrible, aren't they - but hate putting insecticidein Crusoe's body. Wonder how many dog owners don't give it and never have fleas? Also wonder what vets REALLY do with their own dogs?
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    curly likes this.
    I use Frontline Plus Spot-on for Pereg as it is for ticks as well as fleas and too many loose/stray dogs can, and do, get into my yard. My vet uses a Seresto collar for his Labrador but does not recommend it for Pereg due to both her epilepsy and also the fact that she sleeps on my bed.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I haven't treated mine for fleas in years,(touch wood haven't had any) I worm twice per year with Cestem .
    l believe Advocate is the only wormer licensed for the ‘ prevention’ of Lungworm, though not recommended for collies and certain pastoral breeds.

Be careful of ‘flea collars’ that have diazinon. In them, I know France banned them a couple of years ago and some UK manufacturers withdrew them from sale.
  10. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Thank you everyone. All advice greatly appreciated! Please keep telling us what you use and what you hear. Crusoe' s our first ever dog and reckon these experiences are useful for all to hear. xx
  11. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    If he swims so much are fleas an issue? my vet said i was ok not treating phoebe as she is bathed weekly due to her skin problem.
  12. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Azz likes this.
    Good point, Katy. I'll be checking with the vet tomorrow. Don't know if the seawate
    Tks, Azz, very useful. Now might be going with Strobfhold. Hate them all really, though...
  13. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Stronghold, that is!
  14. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Garlic is a good flea repellent too - but you have to be careful with some dogs as it can be toxic. I used to add tiny bits to Rocky's food.
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I use front line and advocate, but to be honest, I don`t flea treat very often, maybe once a yr, same with wormers maybe once a yr, if I think its necessary.

I do use the advocate more often though due to Figo eating slugs and with such a heavy coat am concerned about ticks.

How often are you treating him, I know vets say every 3 to 6 mths, but unless he really needs it why not just do it once a yr .... and I guess you will just have to keep him away from the water for a fer days (good luck with that one)

TBH i am a bit lack in that area , always have been, and my dog shave never really suffered for it.
  16. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Tks both of you. Aagh! Fleas/dangerous worms versus poisoning him!
  17. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    U not coming to Champship show in Bournemouth @Jackie?
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    N
    No, to far for us..
  19. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    oh well, I'll have to see dear Figo at Crufts then!
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    We might do DD at earls court, not sure yet , but maybe !