Yr old GSD is turning on my disabled wife. Don’t know what to do! Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Old, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don

Yr old GSD is turning on my disabled wife. Don’t know what to do!

Big, big problem!! My gsd is extremely attached to me. My wife is 85% bed bound. The dog comes to my wife’s bedside, gets treats and petted. Never been a problem. Now, for some reason, when she walks by him, heading to the restroom, he growls. Once he gave her a small nip, once he snapped and growled. I’m at a loss. My wife’s a dog lover and has always been nice to Max. I DO NOT want to give him up, but don’t know what to do.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    This really is a problem that you need someone on the spot to see what is going on. There are so many variables as to what it could be that is causing the problem that someone needs to observe before advising to make sure that things aren't made worse.

Are there any positive behaviourists near where you live?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Don, have you asked the police department dog trainer who helped you with Max when you first got him, what he thinks?

As Max is with you most of the time, perhaps he is a bit jealous and does not want to share you, and maybe thinks that your wife is trying to take your affection away from him?
  5. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
  6. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    The Policeman K9 trainer is on vacation. I think you may be exactly right. I hate this. My wife has always had dogs and this is a real mind blower.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Did the original owner tell you why he couldn’t handle the dog?

I would contact a trainer that can evaluate the dog in person and help you set you a training program, a professional can be a huge help in pointing out what may be the trigger and advise best methods for yourself and the dog.

Do you have a picture of him?
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    In the meantime this is definitely a behavior you need to correct before it escalates how to go about correcting it will depend on the temperament and training, if he is good on general obedience, then using a command like no, or leave it, might work. Make sure you praise and reward the behavior you want so he knows. Alternatively put him in the sit or down, just before your wife approaches and if he doesn't listen, put him in another room immediately.
  9. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Malka likes this.
    You must be exhausted with the stress of looking after your wife & with the added worries about Max.
    It seems you have some great advice & pointers from other people, so, I can’t add anything else other than I hope you get the help you need
    Please keep coming back to let everyone know how you are getting on
    There are so many experienced people here and we all care about each other aswell as our dogs
  10. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I appreciate everybody’s advice and concern. The policeman k9 trainer will be back next week. He knows and understands Max, so I hope he’ll have some kind of solution.
    I don’t know why I aired our problems on the internet. We’re in our 70s and I guess I just got upset at the thought of giving up the smartest dog I’ve ever had. My wife says not to, but I’m not so sure.
    Sorry about my whining.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Please don't apologise. We are here to share. Occasionally someone has a suggestion that works. You will get through this, once Max has been assessed and a plan for his training is established. Don't come down too hard on him in the meantime, just try to manage the situation until you have professional help.
  12. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
  13. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    Please don’t apologise, we are all dog lovers and if you have has chance to read our post we are all often asking for help/advice
    We all love our dogs, as you do, but sometimes they behave in ways we don’t understand
    Please keep in touch about your progress
    We are all here to help as much as we can
  14. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Thank you. It’s just sad because I do love him dearly. He is a land shark though and could cause some serious harm.
  15. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I am so glad to report, things are looking up! The whole problem was poor Max injured himself playing in the yard. We had no clue he hurt himself, but he was growling and snapping trying to warn us that he hurt!
    So now he’s lying around on his soft pad being treated like a prince. He’s getting better every day. We don’t make him walk any more than he wants and his behaviour lessons have taken a back seat until he doesn’t feel so sore.
    He didn’t limp or act sore for days after the time we figure he hurt himself. So we didn’t figure it out sooner.
    He’ll get well, we won’t have to get rid of him, and then he can get back to his lessons. Thank God
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Really good news Don.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so glad to hear that things are looking up now and that everything is OK now with Max. Poor lad, hurting himself and not being able to tell you, hence his growling and snapping.

Please give him some cuddles, ear twiddles and tummy rubs from me. Oh, and Tikva se
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Challis87 likes this.
    I wish I could give 10 likes for this!!
  19. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Gosh! What kind of injury does he have ?
  20. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Oh Don
    I’m so pleased things are improving & a huge “ thank you “ for letting us know
    You must feel as if a weight has been lifted from your shoulders.
    What is the actual injury ?
  21. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Long story, short. injury....poor guy lived in a cage most of his year long life. Muscles aren’t what they should be. His back legs are even a little warped from lying on them constantly. We don’t keep him caged and he Injured himself playing too hard! Pulled some ligements. We’re taking things slow, getting him healthy.