Yr old GSD is turning on my disabled wife. Don’t know what to do! Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Old, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Well if that is Max it certainly did work, well done. :023:

He is very handsome. :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Aw, he's a stunner :)
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Max is a very smart looking boy.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Max looks a very handsome lad, love his pencil toes.
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I see you managed to ‘ post ‘ a picture, well done & Max looks stunning
    Philippa
  7. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Last one I’ll bore you with. He’s ten pounds heavier now.
    upload_2019-5-31_13-55-17.jpeg
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    We don’t bore of pictures easily...
    He still looks quite lean
  9. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Max “pinched”, he didn’t bite, just pinched our handyman. I’ve never heard such screaming from a grown man who wasn’t really hurt. I couldn’t find an injury on his hand and neither could the handyman. Just shows what the eye sees, and the brain expects aren’t always correct.
    Fear can twist reality. I learned a lesson though.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I would keep a close eye on him, it could be more serious next time.
  11. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    You are right, it’s part of the lesson I learned. Thanks
  12. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Max has slowly been taking up more and of our time. It’s beginning to drive us nuts. We’ve spoiled him.
    Thank God, our City PD K9 trainer has agreed to train Max. He was also a military K9 trainer while in the service. He’s very kind to the Police Dogs. So I know that Max will be in good hands.
    He’s taking Max for at least two weeks of personalised training, then, of course, I’ll need trained. So this will be a real adventure. It’ll be worth it though! I’ve never had a really well trained dog.
    Not only will we be happier, so will Max!
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Personally I would never send my dogs away for training for various reasons and there is no quick fix,( training is a lifelong journey) and he may well work for the trainer and not yourself, far better you get a trainer to work with you both on one to one.

Gsd’s make wonderful loyal companions, but they need firm handling and boundaries set else they will take advantage.

Walking alone will not tire them out, and only make them fitter, a productive walk that incorporates mental exercise is way more productive to tiring them out.
  14. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    You are absolutely right. We tried, but with the trainer’s schedule and our old people problems, we just couldn’t make it work. This is Plan B.
    I need to figure out a Plan C to get Max his daily exercise when he comes home after his training.
  15. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    You are right, although I had no choice sending him to school. Luckily his teacher is fantastic. Max gets mental and physical stimulation daily now. Having to think really wears him out. He’s calmed way down, stopped bullying us, and is responding to commands very nicely. Even lets us sleep late.
    Has a little trouble at the fast food drive-through, but that’s being worked on.
    Thanks
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    So pleased it's working out for you and Max.:023:
  17. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Me too!!!!!
  18. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
  19. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I’m not at all sure how this website works, so I don’t know who will see this message.....if it’s seen at all.
    I am flabbergasted at how my gsd’s attitude has changed for the better. He no longer tries to bully us. He does what he’s been trained for. He’s improving by the day. He’s become a real sweetheart.
    Max owes his trainer his life. I got really lucky! If Max would have stayed on the same path as he was, with me not knowing how to handle his quirks..(or stayed with the “Professional” I hired a long time ago for one day. . He tried to do harsh training...Well, it would have ended up badly. Max’s personality won’t put up with it. Thank God his present Police K9 training Officer is a very kind man. Max doesn’t respond to fear training at all.
    Remember how he gnashed his teeth and jumped at my disabled wife when she went past him? Now, Bev tells me she’s getting up, then when she goes by, I call him with a treat and kind words. Now it’s fun for him, and I don’t have to worry about Max knocking my wife over, or worse.....having an anxiety ridden bite. Don’t have to worry about that anymore!!!
    Anyway, I just wanted to tell someone my good dog news. It’s kind of a miracle so far. We never gave up on treating him nicely even though he could be a real jerk most of the time. Maybe that helped. Something did!!!!!
    don
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    That really is good news Don, for you, your wife, and for Max - and I am so happy to hear it. :023:
  21. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I'm glad that Max is now settling down and that things are working out for everyone.