Any American Cocker owners? General Chat

Discussion in 'American Cocker Spaniel' started by pam2, May 31, 2009.

1. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam

Any American Cocker owners?

I have just met someone with a cocker spaniel and an American cocker spaniel, it was just gorgeous.
    I wondered how common they were over here, as most of the info I've read refers to the USA.
    The owner did say the grooming wasn't as bad as you imagine!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley

YEs they are quite common, and I groom quite a few. They are pretty easy to groom, just like any other, BUT you MUST keep on top of it, it is a lot of coat to keep brushed and combed. If you don't you end up with a complete matted mess that has to be taken down really really short. Like most spaniels, best hand stripped, but most are clipped
  4. Holly-Rosee

Holly-Rosee New Member

Name:
    Holly and Ros
    i know quite a few people who has them so there plenty around and they are lovely dogs , i meet a chocolate sable last week and the colour is fantastic
  5. nicho1f

nicho1f New Member

Name:
    Flo
    I have an American Cocker Spaniel and believe you me, anyone that says the grooming is easy doesn't do it on a daily basis.
    I spend about an hour every day grooming my little fella and if you go on holiday then you come back to a complete mess, because no-one seems to be able to spare an hour a day to groom him.
    The only good thing is whenever it comes to summer, he gets shaven off and then its short and easy to manage and then he grows again for winter - and we're at home and able to groom - and summer when away for 2wks Bailey goes to my mums and he is nice and short and loves a 10 minute brush everyday.
    Let me hear any dog groomers who have to do AC everyday say they are easy dogs to groom...............
  6. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    I am a groomer, and the ones who's owners brush are pretty easy to do, ( I do a number in full coat) but as I said previously you HAVE to keep on top of them. Owners that don't brush.........the dog is buzzed off!!
  7. nicho1f

nicho1f New Member

Name:
    Flo
    My little fella is in full coat and takes about 3-4hrs for a full wash and blow dry and I DO keep on top of it EVERYDAY.. And it still isn't easy
    If I can work out how to download a pic I will.
  8. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    I take around 3 hours for a full coated. I just don't class it a difficult groom for me personally. Everyone's different I suppose :?
  9. nicho1f

nicho1f New Member

Name:
    Flo
    Im not a groomer but just a humble AC owner who wants her AC to look like an AC and not a scraggy mutt by not brushing him.......... so does an hour each day brushing and a 3hr session every month to ensure he looks like one!
  10. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    nothing humble about it. Wish more owners would take a leaf out of your book
  11. nicho1f

nicho1f New Member

Name:
    Flo
    Thank you. He is adorable.