Australian Shepherd Discussions

Discussion in 'Australian Shepherd' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

:lol: He's probably quite a bit bigger now than when you last saw him :grin: I can't believe they are 18 months old already :shock: Didn't Harvey and Jodie do well at Crufts!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. AussieGeek

AussieGeek New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    They are fairly similiar. This is my first Aussie and IM IN LOVE!!! (he's actually in my lap, on his side, head on my shoulder, snoozing away :p All 30 pounds!! LOL)They are great dogs. I keep Chance very stimulated with tons of toys and bones. I havent ever had to worry about much chewing or craziness. Hes been a total joy. I cant wait to breed him and get a pup!! :D
  4. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Are you planning on showing your dog in conformation and or performance arenas to prove that he is a good working example of the breed, then doing all recommended health testing to be certain he isn't carrying any genetic diseases that can be passed on to pups, and also being certain that the bitch you breed to has proven herself a good example of the breed and been tested, and are you prepared to pre screen potential pup homes and have them sign care contracts and agree to take the pups back should they not be able to keep them.

I'm sure chance is a great dog, but not all good pet dogs should be bred from.
  5. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona

I think I have just found yet another addition to my wish list:lol:
  6. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    What on earth is "glueing the ears" It sounds horrendous!
  7. AussieGeek

AussieGeek New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Chance comes from Champion lines and other than his ears standing has pretty good confirmation. I was planning on breeding him using one of my breeders females (plans havent been made yet but...). I havent tested him yet (as I was told to wait till hes 6-8 months) but his parents were good and excellent with their health certification. And no its not just something that Im doing for the heck of it ;)

From my understanding if you notice that your Aussies ears are starting to stand there is a special glue that is used to tack their ears so they will flop. Aussies go through a stage where the ears are all over the place. I sware every time that I looked at Chance they were in a different position. LOL
  8. Gina&Jaz

Gina&Jaz New Member

Name:
    Gina
    I would dearly love an Aussie some day and have asked around a lot at shows - and drooled over them as well! :grin:

A friend of my Mum's mentioned she was going to get one, but then was put off when she heard they could be quite sharp with other dogs? Is this typical of the breed or were there just one or two dogs who were like that and they happened to be Aussies - and the friend heard about them?
  9. Aussielover

Aussielover New Member

Name:
    Angel
    Hi Gina,
    It is like most other breeds....... it has good and bad traits.....
    Most breeders do breed for good temperament, but we have noticed a surge since the Aussie got BIS at Crufts last year, of puppy farmers popping up..... :x so it is really important that if your friends mum does want an aussie, that she goes through one of the breed clubs. I do the puppy waiting list and rescue for one of the clubs and will only recommend people who breed to the clubs strict code of ethics...
    If she wants any information about the breed, please feel free to PM me.

Aussielover
  10. fluffymummy

fluffymummy New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have fallen in love with an Aussie girl :) And the feeling was mutual....

This dog walker I know walks one and she was glued to me all the time (something to do with cheese :lol:), heeling perfectly! She only knew sit, but I showed her how to give paw and lie down (she's 7 months old and a bit shy) and she got it straight away! What a clever girl! She almost went home with me and Fluffy too, refusing point blank to go with the walker :lol:
  11. pawsforthought

pawsforthought New Member

Name:
    Pichu
    can i still put pictures on here?

i have two aussies. monty (18 months) and woody (22 weeks)

monty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as a puppy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

woody:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Once my collies have departed this earth then I shall move on to Aussies (you can probably get 5 collies to the price of one Aussie though!).

Allmark currently have a litter of black tri's but alas, i'm in no position to have a 4th dog! Mine would have to be a bobtail though.
  13. pawsforthought

pawsforthought New Member

Name:
    Pichu
    what area of the UK are you in? i might be able to give you the number of our breeder. they were excellent, really loving pet owners, and they have a bobtail male with a few titles under his belt! our woody is NBT. they aren't breeding for a while but may get back into it after a few years. if not, they may have some links (well, i KNOW they have links) to other good breeders. their dogs are all German line, which is a very good strong line! anyway, i won't bore you. let me know if you're interested.

they are located on the Isle of Wight. easy for us. but i don't know whereabouts you are in the UK!
  14. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    LOL - one of mine has been trained to take the washing out of the machine and put it into the basket but that's as far as it goes.

They're lovely looking dogs. Admittedly, I know nothing about the breed though.

Laura xx
  15. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I'm in Nottingham so Allmark, who are in Leicestershire, arent far away. However, my collies are only 4 so they hopefully have a few good years in them yet but there are gundogs on my list before Aussies! So many breeds and only so much room...Life is unfair! Thank you for your offer though.