"Best" dog breed for anxiety/bipolar disorder? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

"Best" dog breed for anxiety/bipolar disorder?

Hello,

I have been on this forum for a bit and never thought to ask this question until now. In your opinion, is there a dog breed or breeds that are better suited for people with anxiety problems, PTSD, and bipolar disorder? Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks in advance! Jessica
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't think that there are particularly suitable breeds, but a highly strung dog may not help. A laid back breed (eg. Golden Retriever?), might promote a relaxed attitude in the handler, or a natural comic (you might be able to guess this one), such as a Beagle, can always bring a smile on a dark day. My daughter has been diagnosed as bipolar, and does her best to cope with social anxiety, (don't we all at times?). She has a rehomed Akita x Rottweiler and her partner's Border Terrier. They may sometimes get exercised at, what I think, are odd times of the day, but I don't think she would swap them for anything else.
    I must say, I really admire the time and care that you are taking over this decision, but I'm sure that whatever you pick, it will turn out to be a super dog.
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Labs, Goldens, are 2 of the most used breeds for these.

Truthfully a lot have to do with the individual many PTSD vets, go outside these breeds though I see a lot of mixed breeds at VA, a lot of times there looking more toward temperament, age and functionality.
    Some of the breeds with PTSD and other disabilities used dogs outside the normal such as Rottweiler, Danes, Bullmastiffs, most out of the ordinary I've seen is a Dogo.
    Currently I know of 1 program that is actually strictly Danes for wheelchair bound vets, and 1 other that is Boerboels for PTSD and disabled.

One of the biggest things is the individual and the dog matching well.
    Many times for mental issues it is a breed that makes the individual comfortable, or they have known growing up which calms them.

So there is basically no best breed.
  5. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I might suggest that for people with panic or fear based disorders that a well trained bully, German Shepherd, mastiff or Dogo might make one feel safe. Key word there is well trained. If you can put your faith into your pooch being protective of you, it can inspire your own self-confidence.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    This is one of my JRT's K9 he's my epileptic & diabetic medic alert dog, he's been trained to detect if my sugars falls or if I am going to have a seizure.

Any breed of dog will be able to help you with your illnesses, my previous epileptic & diabetic media alert dog was Zara a GSD

My little hero K9
    K9 my hero.JPG

My beautiful Zara
    Zara 1 - Copy.jpg
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There are also dogs that are suitable for people with anxiety problems, PTSD, and bipolar disorder just because they accept their owners for who and what they are - show unconditional love, and who make their owners do things for them - maybe as simple as just feeding them, maybe just taking them out for a walk.

There is never one size fits all in life. And many dogs do not require special training. They just "click" with their owner.
  9. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    I am bi-polar with social anxiety. Pearl is diabetic alert trained although I am not diabetic. I have severe hypoglycemia. Pearl alerts to low sugar and also lets me know when a panic attack is imminent so I have time to remove myself from a given situation. I trained her to alert to low sugar episodes. Alerting to the panic attacks she did on her own. Pearl is a 3 1/2 pound Chihuahua who I rescued a few years ago. I am of the opinion that service dog training is not breed specific. You have to go more by the personality of each dog. You have to be careful not to ask more of a dog than they are capable of giving as most dogs are anxious to please. For example.....don't ask a dog to pull a wheelchair that weighs more than he does. Or open a door when he can't reach the handle easily. I know it sounds stupid to mention it, but I have seen people ask their dogs to learn things that the dog is physically unsuited to do.
  10. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank you for all the replies! It sure is something to think about and consider.
  11. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    @GsdSlave believe what lovemybull is speaking of is guardian breeds not protection dogs.
    Protection dogs are as you put so well are highly trained at the job.
    Guardian breeds bond with there owner/family and learn who is a threat through heavy socialization. No training is involved.

This is also why you will see them far more with PTSD Vets, than a non-combative person with a fear based anxiety, as they tend to feed off the emotion of the owner.
  12. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I've read about such programs. For people have combat rooted PTSD the bully breeds can be ideal. They're among the most people pleasing breeds and often bond to their special human completely. They also can be strong bodied and strong willed, but with the right training and socialization they can be ideal service dogs.
  13. Gazmo

Gazmo New Member

Name:
    Grace
    I have anxiety and i get especially nervous at night so im in the process of adopting a dachshund becuase they are supposed to be good at alerting you to strangers. Plus their so little it can come out with me when im too scared to x
  14. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Gazmo likes this.
    @Gazmo I am also worse at night! Must be an anxiety thing. I have looked into dachshunds and hesitate to get one because they have elongated spines and can have major health issues with that. (Not to dissuade you from getting one just my personal preference.) I wish you luck with adopting!
  15. Gazmo

Gazmo New Member

Name:
    Grace
    yeah :) yeah i do worry about them but i mean we live in a bungalow because i have health issues as well so i cant do stairs so the doggy wont have to climb them either :p x
    thanks! :) x I wish you luck with yours too! x