Conditioned APBT's Working Dogs

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by Kitkat_, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Why are you not supposed to let them hang like that? I've used a flirt pole for years and they get airborne the whole idea is exercise. They really want the hide/toy or whatever, you can't keep them on the ground and they are a gripping breed when they get it they might hang.

It's not her dog so she can't control what chain size the dog has either, the post is about being conditioned vs skinny and how people confuse the two. It's not about proper chain set ups.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    They do like to bite and hold things, but then so do many other breeds and you don't hear them calling the breeds "gripping" breeds. Probably not a great idea to use that term with these dogs anyway, they have enough problems without someone calling them a "gripping" breed which IMO doesn't sound like something good.

It isn't a good idea to let them hang like that for the same reasons a human hanging from something like that isn't considered good exercise. A vet will tell you the same thing. I know what the post is about since I replied to the post ages ago in addition to me passing the fifth grade and thus being able to read.

Just because the post isn't about something I mentioned doesn't make what I said irrelevant or worthy of being dismissed or ignored. Also some of the conditioned dogs look conditioned and others look malnourished. It all depends on who is looking.

As far as "proper" chain setups, there's no such thing here because chaining dogs is illegal, mainly because THESE dogs kept getting off of them or out of their collars and attacking people and other pets. Not relevant to the original thread? So what? Still relevant to the breed and there's nowhere else I can really post such information anyway so there it goes.

The dog in your profile has hacked off stumps for ears. This is illegal in the UK (and should be here too IMO) and they don't even have to allow that photo on this site. Not relevant to the thread? Meh - talking about the breed so close enough.

In other news not necessarily relevant to this thread but relevant to this breed, I never see APBT dogs anymore. They're all "pit bulls" and most are mixes of some sort. The rest are American Bullies. They have totally different temperaments.
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    You usually don't hear the Pit called that either, I think Diane Jessup is the one who really started applying it but actually yeah I've seen it said about American Bulldogs too. I don't say it on a regular basis. I have said it about other breeds too. Some people tend to think Pits have lock jaw, are super aggressive because they hold on and are different from any other breed/more dangerous because they don't let go, ect. I'm like uh no typical of any working bulldog or terrier.

Okay so maybe I am ignorant on the hanging issue, that's why I asked if you can please explain? And speaking of other breeds yes they do and I see it done when people are playing tug of war with their pets or sport / protection dogs playing tug or hanging in air off the decoy. I did not think it was detrimental to the dog and I'm not stating it's good exercise. Chasing and jumping for the flirt pole is the exercise (not hanging) but sometimes the dog is going to bite it or be allowed to bite it. Mine is a 6 foot pole and a rope long enough that even if they catch it at a 5 foot jump they will still land on the ground, even with short pole/rope I'm not tall enough or strong enough that they would hang. But it could happen to others and I'm wondering how s brief period of hanging is harmful.

People often go to other topics in a thread I understand. I was only thinking since they ate not the owner they can't change the chain. If the OP had been the owner then it'd be helpful. I do think chaining is worth talking about. A huge chain isn't required, though some smaller chains are heavier then ones that are larger. It depends on the materials. Some big chains links will wear through and then break. People do need to understand the difference.

These attacked happened because the owners were not using proper set ups, or any other appropriate, secure means of containment. Depending on the situation it sounds like in combination of poor training, no socialization and bad breeding.

They don't have to allow the photo of your dog either, for any reason. If a site owner doesn't want to they have pics removed. You can talk about irrelevant things all you want, not saying otherwise it doesn't contribute to the topic is all. I'd hope that even a UK based site would allow owners to post cropped dogs, even if they live in the UK as people there rescue illegally cropped dogs. It's not talking about "the breed" many breeds are cropped, not just Pits.

I see plenty of APBT (one of the most over bred breeds ever) and plenty of Pit mixes. I've seen lots of ads for Bullies and more people with them. I feel people who wanted Pits for the rep or were cross breeding for size have moved over to bullies. It all depends on the dogs. Some have similar temperament and some are very different. I see very different traits within the APBT and very much so within the Bully but that's surprising considering the different breeds and all the different breeding directions.
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I added my contribution to this topic ages ago so decided to address posts within as well.