Digging General Chat

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Seacrow, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Seacrow

Seacrow New Member

Name:
    Sarah

Digging

I just left Willow in the garden for 10 minutes while I cleaned out the rabbit's cage. She didn't come back when I'd finished, so I assumed she was busy sniffing around etc.

A moment later she's prancing around the living room with an ex-thyme plant in her mouth and flinging mud all over (looking so incredibly pleased with herself too :p ). Upon inspection she's had a merry 15 minutes or so digging a 2' deep hole in my raised herb bed. How she got around the netting laid down to stop digging I don't know.

Letting off steam to the OH ('cos shouting at Willow will get me nowhere, and she doesn't mean to be bad), he said 'You have to expect a digging instinct, she's a springer'.

Ummmm... Do I? Do springers always dig? Terriers go underground, so yes I get they need to dig, but why would a springer need to dig in a gundog job?

Gotta go - dog to wash, mud to clean off carpet, sofa, cushions etc. At least I can get her to run around in the garden to dry off - supervised this time though :lol: :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    My Springer crosses were digging today.. nutters. Could be mousing?

To save your garden get a sandpit for her, that way she has somewhere where she can dig and it leaves your garden hole free..

I'm not bothered about mine as they dig under the swing seat and soon my feet won't catch the ground :lol: Plus one day they might reach Australia and I'll have a free holiday ;)