Is she aggressive? or is something else... Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Boyad, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Boyad

Boyad New Member

Name:
    Bob

Is she aggressive? or is something else...

Good afternoon, Zina, our recently (February) adopted Jack Russell terrier aged 10 is being
    aggressive. She did display some form of aggression from day one. In the sense that as soon
    as we got home (she being an angel on the journey there) she dived at my daughter and sons'
    shoes. After a while she stopped and even went out with them to buy pizzas.
    She's an absolute treasure w
    ith Karen and I but is wary of strangers. The animal shelter staff had given her avery large squeaky chicken (horrible) which I quickly got rid of and replaced by a small Kong brand toy. She took to it immediately. Later, I bought her a large Kong bone. This was a BIG mistake,she went berserk with this thing; she tried to tear it to pieces (a total waste of time with these things). We had a devil of the job getting it away from her. For two days,she searched everywhere for it. Do you have any idea why she would go for people's shoes? Looking forward with anticipation to your replies. Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Aww - Zina is lovely! Why does she go for people's shoes? My little monster still goes for my shoes at times when I am standing [never when I am in my chair] but the worst thing she does - very rarely and I have never worked out why, is to go for one of the rubber ferules if I am on my sticks.

Regarding the Kong bone, maybe Zina had a bad experience with a bone or bone-shaped toy in a previous home? Tkki Tikva is nuts over soft toys - she has far too many but digs them out of the toy box and strews them all over the place - indoors and in the yard!

Oh, and they must squeak!
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I take it the kids were wearing the shoes when she went for them and they were moving about?

Terriers love to chase, grab and shake. When she goes for shoes (whilst on moving feet) stand perfectly still and ignore her - no eye contact, no voice, no nothing. As soon as she stops move again and repeat, repeat, repeat.

My guess is that no one has taught her what is and isn't out of bounds
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Find out what type of treat Zina values the highest. It could well be something like cheese, liver or dog chocolate. The next time she gets possessive with a toy or something she has managed to steal, offer to exchange it for the high value treat. This won't stop her searching for where you have hidden it though!