New to the forum. Introductions

Discussion in 'American Bulldog' started by Minumste, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Minumste

Minumste New Member

Name:
    Mindy
    Azz and 6JRT's like this.

New to the forum.

Hello all, my name is Mindy and just acquired a 2 year old male American Bulldog yesterday. From the best I can tell this poor fella has been in 6 homes. I know very little about this breed. We do have a 6 year old Old English Sheepdog. He needs some training for sure. So any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Minumste

Minumste New Member

Name:
    Mindy
  4. Minumste

Minumste New Member

Name:
    Mindy
    Posted his picture above. Not sure if American Bulldog is even correct.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Whatever he is, he is a lovely fellow - and who is the beautiful young lady with him? :)

Oh, and welcome to Breedia from Pereg and from me! :D
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    He is a beautiful dog - but what a life he's had poor thing, having had 6 homes already!

I don't know much about American bulldogs - my friend's son has one, and all I know is he's extremely good natured, very boisterous, and an expert escape artist!

I hope he's settling in well and getting on with your Old English Sheepdog.

Welcome from Pepe the Standard Poodle, Bogie the cocker spaniel, and Chico the Chihuahua (and me!)
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    He's gorgeous might be staffy x boxer or American Bull dog, hope you have lots of fun with him & I would find a local training school, get him some basic training .
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    hello and welcome
  9. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Hi and welcome :)
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Welcome - I love ABs :D

With regards to training, consistency is the key - and a secret weapon for training bull breeds... is usually food :lol:
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to you and your lovely boy.
  12. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hello Mindy :) welcome..
  13. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Welcome from Georgina and Gwylim who own a human being called Barbara. :069:
  14. Sigepcannon

Sigepcannon New Member

Name:
    Stephen
    2 years old is generally when AB's reach their maturity level and start to completely fill out. You will want to make sure to associate him with your other dog as much as possible now so as not to run into any long term problems. However much of his learned behavior as far as other dogs go is already learned. If he's been in 6homes it can mean that he's either very well socialized due to the large number of people he's been with or it could mean that he's had some behavioral issues and difficult to keep for some. So whatever the case may be be patient and give him lots of love. They are an awesome breed. I've had 3 american Bulldogs and have a 15 week puppy that I'm raising now. He's the best!!!
  15. Sigepcannon

Sigepcannon New Member

Name:
    Stephen
    also....it's never too old to train a dog. Especially an AB. you'll have to establish dominance early however this needs to be done in a non forceful way. They can seem stubborn but often we mistake intelligence for stubbornness. Treat him right and he'll love us forever. Send some pics!!!