Noise Questions

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Jose Prado, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Jose Prado

Jose Prado New Member

Name:
    OhBoy

Noise

Hello Once Again,
    I've been away for a while since my dogs have recovered and are doing fine.
    In a previous thread I shared about the paranoia and repetitive behavior of my dogs.
    They're doing much better now, fortunately.

There is one issue still, however.
    My ACD barks, looks up to the sky at nothing, and paces the yard incessantly while I do carpentry work in my garage shop - use power drills, nail guns, and the compressor. In fact she does the same thing for a while even when I just spend time in the garage. I can't get work done comfortably as I have to walk out of the garage and take her for short walks to calm her nerves.

She does not exhibit the same behavior with the table saw, drill press, or the dust collector.

What can I do? I'd like to spend a good 3 or 4 hours of uninterrupted work at a time. Is this impossible with this dog?

Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Is she shielded from the sound in the house? Could she stay there while you work?
  4. Jose Prado

Jose Prado New Member

Name:
    OhBoy
    I tried that initially. I garage/shop is detached and about 25 feet from my bedroom window. I used my drill behind closed doors and closed windows and the darned dog became agitated in the house.

I just tried a bit of a Pavlovian technique - a treat after a quick sound of the drill. She became agitated. I hope now she doesn't confuse the treat for the drill.

Thanks
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Can you film her so we can take a look?