papillons and crosses of? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by katilea, Sep 24, 2016.

1. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

papillons and crosses of?

Does anyone on here have one?

I was discussing with a friend the other night the future and whether we thought we'd have dogs or cats when we got older.

As I'm already a wheelchair user even though I'm not 50 yet I said I'd really enjoyed having Inca and JJ and I like my breeds to be bright and enjoy learning. Inca was a lurcher cross (collie x whippet i think) and JJ a Border Collie. Past dogs were another collie cross and a Corgi.

Most of the small breed group are terriers which I aren't fond of and have no experience with. We had a Corgi when I was growing up many years ago and that's the smallest breed I've had experience with, but they are very hard to find these days and I believe on the endangered list as so few pups have been born recently so I expect they will be a) very expensive b)if you wanted a female the breeder would likely want you to have at least litter to keep the breed going. (another area I have no experience in)

My friend suggested a chihuahua as they are small enough to get their exercise from around the house and garden incase I had a carer by then who didn't want to be walking my dog miles for me but I've been reading up on them and Chi's are descended from terriers and often have terrier type traits, the only one's I've known in person were vicious little things.

The Papillon seems gentler and is said to be descended from toy spaniels and dubbed 'the border collie of the toy dogs' so I feel I'd have a better sense of its personality and what made it tick. They're also meant to be the smartest of the toy dog breeds and I like a dog that would enjoy playing alot of mental stimulation type games in the house and garden as I imagine I'll be pretty much housebound once I can't manage to get on and off a mobility scooter independently.

I wouldn't want one too tiny and have seen some slightly bigger but not sure if that was a cross, so I wondered if anyone had one on here and could tell me what height/weight they tend to be.

I wondered if a collie x papillon would produce a small sized border collie, or crossing a pap with a toy spaniel would give you a slightly bigger dog but still have the gentle nature from both sides?

Other choice was something like an Italian greyhound or small cross of (mini lurcher) so I get the mini whippet look. I don't know much about them though, would they be happy with a walk around the village walking next to my chair and just lounging about playing in house and garden the rest of the day?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!