Picky eating... General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Graeme Mercer, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Graeme Mercer

Graeme Mercer New Member

Name:
    Graeme Mercer

Picky eating...

Hello guys,

Has anyone had any trouble with a puppy turning his nose up at his food that he's been eating for weeks and weeks?

Cody is 4 months on Wednesday next week, for the last week or so he just turns up his nose at his food. He was checked at the vets 2 weeks ago and was in great shape.

Cody is on a Raw diet which he would eat before you'd even walked out of the kitchen, he's now basically eating 250g if that... going again to the vets tomorrow to make sure he's no underlying health problem.

He's still playful, full of energy and also If we are eating he will cry for food but when you put his food down he will just walk away.

But wondered if anyone had experienced something similar to this?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Justjay1123

Justjay1123 New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I have an akita that does the same.
    If he has been eating his food he does like it and sounds like he's just being stubborn to me and holding out for something better.
    I would cut out treats, except for specific training sessions as he is only so young. But still limit them.
    Also I made he mistake of free feeding because I though she was hungry, and giving her table scraps. Don't do this either, malamutes are stubborn he will challenge you to a battle of will.
    No 'human food' as we call it and only leave his bowl down for 15 minutes, if he hasn't eaten take it away until his next meal time.
    That's what we did and our dog soon got the message
  4. Graeme Mercer

Graeme Mercer New Member

Name:
    Graeme Mercer
    Thanks for your reply,
    He has never actually had table scraps or anything given to him than his food and his training treats. So technically he doesn't really know much but what's he has eaten since a pup.

We took him to the vets today but it was rather vague, as he's still full off energy he's not showing signs of sickness or anything they weren't concerned about it as yet.

I put the food down for 20 mins and if he doesn't eat he gets it again at his next meal time.

I shall persevere with this an see the vet again on Wednesday if he's still on his fasting mission.
  5. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    We are having of battle of wills at the moment, Everest just decided one day that she wouldnt like to inhale her food as she normally does.

She will still eat treats and sausages and anything else she gets her paws on but seems to be a bit fussier with her kibble.

Been eating the same thing for 8 months too......she will still eat about 60% of what was her normal intake over the course of the day but just in little nibbles at a time.....

Maybe just stopped growing for a bit.....

I have read that Malamutes do eat comparatively little for a dog their size and she doesnt appear to be fazed much by eating less....... just disconcerting for us.

Im currently using the advice mentioned about putting food down for a period then removing.....so far we are both being stubborn.
  6. puppykisses

puppykisses New Member

Name:
    Andrea
    Majority of pet owners have experience the same thing, dogs are being to picky on food. You need to help your dog in understanding that there's no much options left. Try to set a timer like half an hour if he won't eat it then remove it, when its time for his next meal then put again for 30-mins. Try to maintain this strategy as it will help, if your dog is starving then he doesn't have any choice but to dig-in to what is serve to him. You can also try combing old and new food, then as time goes by gradually reduce the old food. You need to help your paw to be familiarize with his meal. I hope my suggestion works. :)
  7. Justjay1123

Justjay1123 New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    They are intelligent dogs and as mentioned do eat a small amount for their size. As their wolf ancestors did not get to eat every day their boys became accustomed to this.
    So as long as he looks healthy and is playing and as active as normal I really wouldn't worry. Just keep the offer of his food at mealtimes for 20 minutes and he will eat when he feels hungry enough
  8. Mish9101

Mish9101 New Member

Name:
    Mish
    My dog is eight years old and is a fussy eater and has been since a puppy she goes on and of foods.

Also she lifts her nose up at anything raw she doesn't like it raw so she isn't fed raw food but maybe your dog is the same?