Rescued Shar Pei aggressive help Questions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by Dominic Barto, May 29, 2017.

1. Dominic Barto

Dominic Barto New Member

Name:
    Dominic

Rescued Shar Pei aggressive help

Hi,

Background:
    So a bit of background my fiance's parents have Shar Peis who had a litter of puppies. They sold the puppies (they basically gave them away and just tried to make sure they went to good homes). Fast forward a year and a half and one of the people who bought the puppy had a personal issue arise and put the dog into a kennel (it was only supposed to be for a few weeks). The dog was in the kennel for 4 months only reason we found out was because we happened to go there to get our one of her parents dogs bathed. Finally we got a hold of the owner and tried to make sure everything was alright with the dog (she did not like the idea of a dog being in a kennel for so long). The owner then took the dog out and had a friend take care of him for another two months. Unfortunately the dog was aggressive toward men (first day i met him he tried to bite me). Being the dog lover i am i decided we could take him in and hopefully give him a forever home. We finally took him in and while he is super sweet and loving at home.

Problem:
    When we go for walks he gets aggressive toward other dogs and some people, but it is very random there are times when he will be sweet on walks and meeting new people and other times not so much. It can be a bit stressful because we never know what he will do. We have tried to socialize both on a leash for a walk and as well as at home in a bit more controlled environment. I am not saying we haven't made any progress yet we have made strides as far and on walks he is a bit better. We just got a second puppy to help him socialize (at first i didn't like the idea of forcing him to socialize) he has taken to the new puppy we can tell he is much happier with his new playmate (he loves playing and that is why i would love to have him be better with other dogs). I have read that Shar Peis in general can gravitate towards aggression if they are not socialized well at a young age. We have had a few friends who are willing to try and socialize with our dog but he can get too aggressive and they are worried for their own dogs and don't want to help. Unfortunately he is already 2 years old, and i need to find a way to get him socialized sooner rather than later. I guess this is a general question for dogs with aggression but i think if any other shar pei owners have found a way to deal with their dogs aggression that would be a better place to start.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Others may not agree but I never encourage my dogs to meet and greet strange dogs or people as I don’t want them rushing up to strange dogs or people’ as adults they don’t pay any attention to people or other dogs.
    Socialization doesn't mean going out and playing with strange dogs and meeting loads of people or forcing the dog to interact, it means being exposed to new sights and sounds and learning how to behave around them, in many cases that simply means learning to ignore them.
    I wouldn’t force him into a situation he’s not happy with. Find a quiet spot where you can just "Sit" and have him "observe" no need to interact
    I found standing/sitting near school playgrounds at lunchtimes were ideal in getting them used to seeing kids running/screaming ect:.
    Parks, outside supermarkets at a distance they are comfortable with are also good to expose them gently.
    Make his walks enjoyable by playing and interacting with him.

As for other dogs ,you need to be observant and try to see approaching dogs before he does, or at least before he starts kicking off as once his attention is on them, you've already lost the battle, If necessary turn him around and walk the other way if he's already focused.