Tea Cup Yorkies? Discussions

Discussion in 'Yorkshire Terrier' started by Cachapman710, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Cachapman710

Cachapman710 New Member

Name:
    Cachapman

Tea Cup Yorkies?

Was just reading another thread and Teacup Yorkies were mentioned.

I had never heard of these until about 3 years ago when my friends mum bought one. She is a lovely little dog but suffers terribly with fits and is extremely nervous.

Is there a breed called Teecup Yorkies or are they just very small Yorkies?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    There is no su ch thing as a ' teacup' dog - it's a cynical marketing ploy used to sell overly tiny dogs.

Unethical 'breeders' will mate two very small dogs, to get tiny pups. Frequently they will suffer serious health problems.

It's the dog that suffers, of course. If people would stop buying these poor creatures, the demand for them would decrease and the 'breeders' would stop supplying them.

So next time you hear someone use the term 'teacup', please do educate them.
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Undersized dogs usually have health problems. But the gullible fall for the cute factor.
  5. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Isn't teacup just a glamourous word for badly bred runt of the litter!
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    Totally agree:-(
  7. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    No as said above theyre deliberately bred from small specimens. Dont forget lots of toys like yorkies & chihuahuas have to be certain weight for breed shows so unscrupulous breeders take the lighter (smaller) dogs & breed them. Responsible experienced breeders can mate a small dog to a slightly larger bitch to keep the right size & weight or two dogs same size normal weight for the breed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
  8. Cachapman710

Cachapman710 New Member

Name:
    Cachapman
    Thank you every one for your information.

Sadly my friends Mum actually wanted a so called Teecup Yorkie. Poor dog has a hard time with her fits and nerves. She is very very pampered and lover though!

I will try to tactfully mention what I have been told on here if only to make them stop and think before buying another one of the same breed in the future.

Thanks everyone! x
  9. Khasilooluv

Khasilooluv New Member

Name:
    Katurah
    Teacup yorkies are not a breed, they are names given by "breeders" who are really in it for the money. Yorkies come in one size and one size only and that is 7 lbs and under.

Teacups are generally, very very small, unhealthy and poorly bred pups. Here is a link on "teacup" yorkie scammers and how to spot them:

http://yorkiepassion.com/teacupyorkiepuppies.htm

That is a very good link and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to buy and yorkie and wondering what to look out for ;-)

xo khasilooluv
  10. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    You can get bigger yorkies too - Duncan is 12lb not overweight just bigger. He I suppose wouldn't be showable but could and does if we aren't quick enough to stop him, work, which is what yorkies have been bred to do.
  11. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    I agree with you here that 'tea cup yorkie' is just a marketing tool. The 6lb or 7lb. is certainly small enough and it is irresponsible to breed for smaller than 5lbs IMO.

Live Shunt is a problem in this breed and Hypoglycemia as well is a killer in the tiny a dog.

If you go to The Yorkshire Terrier Club of America website, you can learn much about the above. They have a lot to say about the so called 'tea cup'
  12. harperseven

harperseven New Member

Name:
    kathryn
    i have a tiny yorkie that small but i would have took any size her brother was tinybit bigger then her but grew to a standard yorkie size you never know how big they will grow and they maybe the runt of the litter like my tyger-lilly was but she a fighter and derserves to live just like anybody else and im no sucker for small dogs i had a bordercollie and a mixed mongrel who both had cancer so it proves any dog big or small can get ill
  13. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I really don't think that anyone is saying that the 'runt of the litter' is any less deserving a good home than the bigger pups in a litter. The problem comes when unethical breeders deliberately choose the smallest of the adult dogs who never reach standard size to breed together so that smaller and smaller dogs are produced.

These tiny pups are being bred to be 2-4 lbs when they are mature which risks all all manner of health problems.
  14. fjfenton

fjfenton New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I've know a couple of very small yorkies who suffer from the same thing. Is this mor likely because they are so small or is it a trend seen in yorkies in general?
  15. forantje

forantje New Member

Name:
    antje
    I know someone who had a teacup yorky, it fell from the doorstep and had brain damage ! It is a shame that some people breed such poor things. Never never buy one from the internet. Always ask to see mum and dad. I did that with my pup and I know for shure it will be a healthy doggy.
  16. LoobyLou663

LoobyLou663 New Member

Name:
    LoobyLou663
    from what i have read online they are Miniature Yorkshire Terriers but also have been labled "teacup" Yorkshire Terriers, I know a breeder of them and she has had them for years without any concerns regarding their health, mum and dad are fine. I have found information online confusing and conflicting, i am however just about to purchase one myself :D
    I know it isnt a recognised breed (teacup yorkshire terrier) and they are here from breeders breeding smaller sizes but this is how a lot of breeds have come about and not just with dogs. I am still reserved with my opinion on this as i am about to become an owner of one, which will be my first. (i hope i havent offended anyone)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  17. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    Just out of interest, LoubyLou, is the breeder actually breeding from a line of Kennel Club Regsistered Yorkies and just deliberately favouring the smaller types? If that is the case, then surely they are still just Yorkshire Terriers - but perhaps not of a type that would be favoured by everyone?

There is technically no such breed as a 'Minature' Yorkshire terrier. I know we have recognised miniature versions of other breeds in the past, but I think we are now - as a dog owning population - big and ugly enough to learn from the past and absolutely not split and ring-fence genepools uneccessarily by making 'types' within a breed into a specific breed.

:grin: Good luck with your pup though - if you have confidence in the breeder: go for it and be happy!
  18. LoobyLou663

LoobyLou663 New Member

Name:
    LoobyLou663
    You have a valid point there Kanie, as she said they are kc registered and will give me the number for his papers, and apparently he has very good champion bloodlines, if this is the case then surely he is just a small yorkshire terrier and not a miniature yorkshire terrier as they seem to be non existant from what i have read online. I havent seen his papers as she is in kent and i am in hampshire, and my sister is delivering him to me. I shall look at his papers and let you know when the transaction is complete. Either way i am excited and can't wait to get him, but i have been sceptical as she is stating that they are miniature yorkshire terriers and bred them for years but kennel club have no such breed or an association for the breed.
  19. LoobyLou663

LoobyLou663 New Member

Name:
    LoobyLou663
    I am not overly bothered about the owner selling him as a miniature or a yorkshire terrier to be honest, but looking online and seeing lots of advertisements for puppies labelling them miniature or "teacup" surely this is false advertising and people can be sued? i know on one hand they could argue the buyer should have done their research, but how can you sell it as a pedigree breed when it doesnt exist? (sorry im dragging this discussion out now lol i just thought surely the breeder/owner are putting themself at risk with getting sued)
  20. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I freely admit to knowing very little about yorkshire terriers but I'm a bit bewildered as to why the breeder can't show you his papers, she could email them to you either- by scanning or taking a photo and sending the copy in the email.
    I have a Pug who are also sometimes sold as t cup but there is a world of a difference between the odd small pup turning up in a litter and breeders deliberately breeding for smaller pups. The latter type I would run a mile from, A reputable breeder would never describe them as t cup or miniture but as small or undersized etc.
    I would also add that no matter how great the distance I would make the journey myself, it will be your last opportunity to walk away should there be anything you're not happy with once money has changed hands and he's home it's too late if the breeder turns out to be less than reputable.
    KC Papers are just his family tree they are not proof of anything else, they do not prove the dog was bred to standard or that it is healthy.
    Sorry don't mean to p!ss on your fireworks but another perspective sometimes helps when we get carried away with the excitement of a new pup.
  21. LoobyLou663

LoobyLou663 New Member

Name:
    LoobyLou663
    Thank you trouble i appreciate your help, you have a very valid point and i will look into it further. Thank you for your help, im managing to find lots of information and help on this site :)