Vulnerable breeds list (Native UK breeds) General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Bonni, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni

Vulnerable breeds list (Native UK breeds)

Ref Azz's post about Smooth Collies...These breeds have 300 or less registrations per year.
    • Deerhounds
    • Otterhounds
    • Irish Red & White Setters
    • Clumber Spaniels
    • Field Spaniels
    • Irish Water Spaniels
    • Sussex Spaniels
    • Miniature Bull Terriers
    • Dandie Dinmont Terriers
    • Smooth Fox Terriers
    • Glen of Imaal Terriers
    • Kerry Blue Terriers
    • Lakeland Terriers
    • Manchester Terriers
    • Norwich Terriers
    • Sealyham Terriers
    • Skye Terriers
    • Smooth Collies
    • Lancashire Heelers
    • Cardigan Welsh Corgis
    • English Toy Terriers (Black & Tan)
    • Irish Wolfhound
    • Curly Coated Retriever
    • King Charles Spaniel
    • Mastiff
    These are on the watch list:
    • English Setters
    • Old English Sheepdogs
    • Welsh Terriers
    • Pembroke Welsh Corgis
    • Irish Terriers
    • Welsh Springer Spaniels
    From the KC website.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    Thanks Bonni - that's really helpful :)

I am surprised to see so many on the list :( I think perhaps we can change our 'rare breeds' tab on the main site to vulnerable breeds, as I think the list may be more useful.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That makes very interesting reading - thanks.

I'm sorry - but not surprised - to see Irish Water Spaniels on the list. They are great dogs - I've always wanted one - but it is extremely unusual to see one.
  5. Tessabelle

Tessabelle New Member

Name:
    Tess
    Is this just for UK registrations? If so, I'm surprised that German Pinschers don't make the list, there were only 11 pups born last year in the UK?
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Yes the list is solely for UK breeds...
  7. Tessabelle

Tessabelle New Member

Name:
    Tess
    In that case, add GP's to the list as well, there are less than 100 in the UK :)
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Its for native breeds to the UK, not for other breeds that are not UK origan.

I think the reason many are on the list is due to the fact we have so much choice now, with so many other imported breeds , our own have been forgotten a little, some like the otter hound are rare/vulnerable due to them not being the ideal house pet.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    I've added 'Native UK Breeds' to the title.

I wonder if each registry has a vulnerable breeds list - we could create a megalist then :D
  10. Tessabelle

Tessabelle New Member

Name:
    Tess
    ah! Sorry Jackie! My bad, I think the sunshine might have gone to my head ;)
  11. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    6JRT's likes this.
    I am saddened to see so many of our native breeds endangered. I think a lot of breeds go through trends and as we know poodle crosses are very trendy at the moment.
    A friend of mine has two Otterhounds, one bitch has had two litters which was part of the deal when she took them on aged 3. It was to keep the numbers up and was organised by its breeder. Unfortunately her other bitch has an eye problem and wasn't suitable for breeding.

I hope these endangered breeds don't disappear for ever but then if there is no demand for them I assume they will.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I wonder how many of the above breed there are actually living in the UK that's not been registered with the KC, as my friend as 2 Field Spaniels that are not KC registered, the breeder wanted another £100 to register them with the KC, he said no thank you I take them unregistered, plus you see adverts every day in papers/shops saying puppies for sale both parents are full pedigree & KC registered, both parents can be seen along with their KC certificates.
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    6JRT's likes this.
    This sort of breeder should be avoided at all,costs, it's nothing but greed.

It costa around £ 15 to register pups in a litter I think, so asking another £100 tells you the type of breeder this is.
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    [QUOTE"Jackie, post: 178715, member: 1225"]This sort of breeder should be avoided at all,costs, it's nothing but greed.

It costa around £ 15 to register pups in a litter I think, so asking another £100 tells you the type of breeder this is.[/QUOTE]
    Think it worked out around £20 plus postage when I registered the hooligans, but that's because they are AKC not English KC registered (both Skye & K9 are AKC as are both K9' s & Skyes parents grandparents & all their great grandparents..
    My friend found the breeder through the KC itself he did notify them that the breeder wanted another £100 to register the pups but heard nothing back from them.
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Think it worked out around £20 plus postage when I registered the hooligans, but that's because they are AKC not English KC registered (both Skye & K9 are AKC as are both K9' s & Skyes parents grandparents & all their great grandparents..
    My friend found the breeder through the KC itself he did notify them that the breeder wanted another £100 to register the pups but heard nothing back from them.[/QUOTE]

Just out of interest, do the AKC register JRT , or are they on the activity register, only asking as I am a little confused to what register they are one !
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yes they are registered as Russell Terrier in America, but can only be registered if there are generations already registered, Skye as 26 generations registered, 27 if you count Skye herself & K9 as 28 generations registered 29 if you count K9 the hooligans make it 29 & 30th generations registered.
    The AKC stopped all new gene puppies being registered some time ago & now only register those whose great grandparents on both sides already registered