What's the difference between Japanese akita/american akita Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by muttzrule, Jun 6, 2010.

1. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    If it was fairly slender then I'm guessing an Inu, you rarely see ginger americans.. (as in dogs not humans :lol:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I love Akitas, strong, loyal beutiful, I have a photo of one, but can't find it right now, he's the American type, and one of the dogs I love but don't live with me :mrgreen:
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So if they fall into two categories, the short stocky ones, and the taller, more slender ones. I would say 'yes', he must've been American then xxx

I say a stud advert in a dog magazine today (UK), he looked short and very stocky, advertised as a champion. I prefer the more slender look I think.
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
  6. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    You may say he is tall and slender....in the pic in the mag, same pic on website front, he looked more the shorter stockier type...what do you think?

ps I love the pics of the dog playing with the horse xxxxx
    Looks like they have a lovely place
  7. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    It must be a Kita thing, both mine love horses are just a little wary of them (which is a good thing) but will mingle in the field with them nicely, even attempt to play :shock:.

Oo what a pleasure to look through that website :) The last pup with the shoe is a spitting image of my Keisha when she was a pup. Yes, he is definately American, very stocky and he's got the more bear like head, yum yum!:mrgreen:
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Ok, I saw two the other day. One very tall one, more slender, white muzzle and the colour of the dog was white and red/ginger.

The other one was also a ginger colour, black muzzle , tall but not as tall as the first one, and very , very over weight looking.

Which group do they fall in without seeing them?
  9. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    Hi Nes,

They both sound like Americans to me, Akita Inus do not come in pinto or with black masks.

Trouble is that there are so many badly bred Akitas that they often look like they are not the same breed, shame really, when I got mine 15 years ago they were a lot more consisitent :-(
  10. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Don't feel like an idiot I asked pretty much the same question on here once before because an ex used to keep akita's and always said they were Japanese Akita's and that the Japanese Akita Inu was a different breed then people mentioned the American Akita (or just Akita) and I thought there must be 3 types :blush: and wanted to know the differences. As it turned out he was talking out his *** and there are 2, the Japanese Akita Inu and the (American) Akita, the latter of which he kept not the Japanese version that he told everyone he had :roll:

Yes that confused me in the trailer I said awww a Shiba Inu but then when I saw it as an adult I was confused because I was convinced it was a Shiba Inu but the adult looked to big to be a Shiba. Now I know I was not entirely wrong! lol.
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks for the answer and that is a great shame:-(
  12. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    It is a real shame, there are so many advertised for sale now, I had to search for 9 months just to find a breeder when we got Nala (American).

My biggest gripe is that a lot of them have huge ears, almost GSD, fine heads and lazy tails. The temperaments of a lot of them leave a lot to be desired too.

I would love another one eventually but would probably only use one breeder to be honest.
  13. Connor9

Connor9 New Member

Name:
    Connor
    The breed standard for akitas state that males should be 26-28 inches at the withers and for akita inus it is 24-26 inches and the akita is more stockier and bigger boned than the akita inus. So basically akitas are bigger both ways. Hope that helps
  14. IHG

IHG New Member

Name:
    Ed
    There is a lot of bad breeding currenty going on in this breed. We went to see some 'Akita' pups the other month that were clearly GSD crossed!

They were lovely little things but why not just say what they are?

The rule of thumb is that a black mask = American irrespective of size or build. Although it is also true that the lines are beginning to blur. BeauKitas dad was American from astonishing champion lines (I got him back 12 gens a while ago on Akitaheadquarters.com and at that point every single dog down the right hand column was a champion!) but her mother is of solely Japaneese origin. She looks like a very slender leggy American.
  15. Lee_dolo

Lee_dolo New Member

Name:
    Leona
    Japanese Akita's are meant to look like the Shiba Inu's. They're meant to have that light tone of fur and are much smaller in size than the american akitas but the frame of their body is meant to be taller and skinnier. Also american akitas have the black mask around their faces and wide faces and that is how your'e meant to tell the difference :)

Its funny because most dog owners call their dog a japanese akita when they're actually american. Everyone sees my akita and immediately calls her a husky :S lol
  16. humanpuck

humanpuck New Member

Name:
    Humanpuck
  17. humanpuck

humanpuck New Member

Name:
    Humanpuck

I get the same thing since mine is only 8 months old he's about the size of a full grown husky too!