This was bound to happen happen Videos

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by mjfromga, Oct 24, 2019.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ

This was bound to happen happen

Running all over like a maniac... Fell over a large rock or ran into it or something. Came up non weight bearing on back left rear leg. Still barely weight bearing. Didn't yelp or make any pain sounds upon impact.

He is fully insured in case it is something ugly. Never insured a dog in my life and never had any breaks or ligament damage on any dogs in my life... but I had a FEELING that this dog might need insurance.

I will try and get him into the vet Saturday. Bleh... Truly this dog is an absolute nightmare to own. I am REALLY trying but it is not easy at all.

For once in his life.... He is calm, and it is for the wrong reasons. He will barely get up... And only if he HAS to.

Oh and in case you are wondering why Oreo is wearing a bell... The puppy RAN OVER HIM by accident in a frenzy and scratched his face and he needs the bell while it heals.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    He's obviously in pain Myra so he does need to have it checked out. Poor lad
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Poor Malone - I do hope he has not damaged anything serious.
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    He is not better at all this morning. I managed to get him an appointment at a new vet for 6 this evening. I explained to her what happened and she said they will need to give him an exam and take two X-rays to start with.

I examined him this morning. I feel like his toes/foot on that side are the issue but there's no way to be sure. I am not a vet.

I have to withdraw some money from my savings to hopefully pay to upfront costs. His insurance should reimburse most of it.

Malone is just one giant headache. He's just a puppy... But he is a problematic one. To see him calm is actually kinda sad though.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Good luck and please let us know how he gets on Myra
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    We are at the vet now. Vet felt no issues with his hip, knee, or ankle. Malone showed no pain when they were moved. Great range of motion and no reaction at all. Vet then inspected the foot. Malone flinched BADLY when one toe was moved and the vet said he felt some "give" in the joint. He flinched when I had touched his toes, too when I had looked at him. They just took him back to X-ray. He weighed in at 40 lbs today. 5-6 months old. Not growing ultra fast anymore.
  8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    No breaks. Toe is badly swollen. Nail is kinda wonky. Suspected badly hyper extended that toe and also probably bruised it. We were given this med for an extended 2 week period.

Cost me $200... A LOT of money for a little brown MESS... But I do love the boy and don't want him in pain.

Attached Files:

9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    mjfromga likes this.
    Aw, bless him, but at least you now know what you are dealing with and it's such good news that he hasn't broken anything. Give him a big cuddle from me and thanks for the up-date x
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Here is the X ray of the foot... That painful toe looks sorta bad. I do not know how to read X rays but I definitely can see why he is limping so badly. Screenshot_2019-10-25-19-07-20.png
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I can't read 'em either :).
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If I have read the Xray correctly, the top two joints on the left side of the picture [inner side of the paw] appear slightly out of line, possibly due to a sprain.

Although I can read human Xrays, canine paws are different to human feet, so I could be wrong, but the Carprofen, which is a NSAID, should help ease the pain and reduce any swelling/bruising.

I do hope poor Malone feels much better soon. xx
  13. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    His limp is about the same today. But he is in good spirits. Hopefully he will be okay.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I would not worry too much about him limping Myra - he is bound to have a very sore toe so obviously does not want to put too much weight on it, which is good because otherwise he could hurt himself even more.

The Carprofen will ease the pain and reduce whatever swelling/bruising is causing it, and I am sure he will be rushing around like a small brown streak of lightening again as soon as he can.
  15. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    He loves the med. It's chewable. I just hope that he doesn't make a habit of falling down and getting hurt etc. The sore toe is the fat looking toe second from the right.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    mjfromga likes this.
    I am stupid - I was looking at the bones in his toes, not the outlines of the actual toes :oops: - idiot me. Thank you for correcting me Myra!

It is good that he likes the tablets - makes life so much easier than trying to hide them in something tasty only to find the tasty bit swallowed and the pill sitting on the ground having been spat out!
  17. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Malka and Chris B like this.
    No problem Malka. The pain meds don't seem to be helping him much at all. He is still trying to jump up and everything, too. He still limps badly but the vet said that is to be expected. He got two weeks of pain meds and vet said it should take longer than that for the toe to be totally right again.

He said toe injuries are quite rare and take a longer time to heal. But despite that, injuring a toe is better than a knee or hip any day. Especially at Malone's age.

I liked them. They only did what he needed and did not try to sell me anything extra. They did muzzle Malone because he did grumble when they begun to deal with his foot.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If the pain meds stopped all pain Malone would put full weight on his foot and quite possibly do more damage. The fact that he is limping is because the toe is still painful, but the meds should take the edge off the pain, plus being an NSAID should help reduce any swelling/bruising.
    After your previous experiences with vets pushing you to buy things, it sounds like you have found a good new vet. I just hope you do not need them too often! :)
  19. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Malone seems to feel a tad better. Yesterday he kept running. I kept trying to stop him, but couldn't. I cannot stop Malone if he is loose. Any attempts at blocking his path result in him thinking its a game and bolting the other way. Attempts to grab him excite him and he spins in crazy circles or bolts up onto something.

Maybe it is wise to leash him to something indoors? I suspect he would hate it and make a fuss, though.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not know what to suggest Myra as although I always had Lexi, Pereg and now Tikva on 12m tethers, clipped onto something fitted on the wall just inside the front door, they were/are all used to being tethered since they were able to go outside by themselves. I do not think that to start tethering Malone at his age and with his degree of strength and energy, would be an easy thing, nor would be something he would accept without making one Hades of a fuss.

First you would need something strong and secure that he can not pull over or out of - the thing I had fitted inside is bolted right through the outside wall of my bungalow, with a thick metal plate outside at the other end of the bolt, so there is no way it could be pulled out.

For the tether itself you would need something strong that will not break or can be chewed through, and it should be clipped onto his harness, not his collar. You would also have to keep an eye on him in case he spins round in circles and gets the tether caught round a leg or something. Tikki does that at times when she is excited but she has learned to stop and shake the leg until it is free.

Good luck - Malone being Malone I think you will need it!
  21. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I decided against attempting that. I doubt it will be effective knowing Malone. He feels much better this morning... Here he is a moment ago...

Maniac as usual