Terriers and cats? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by kammi_sparky123, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

Terriers and cats?

I have a JRT cross, and was just curious... if I got another terrier, like an airedale, and then wanted a kitten, would that be okay? Or is terriers and a small furry animal too much temptation? :shock:

Alfie would love it and not hurt it at all, but he is only half terrier lol
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    depends on the dog. some would be fine, others would go "dinner"

I have a friend with a Border x Lakeland, and she lives with a cat. They get on well, but are never left alone (Fwiw, Mitz will chase cats outside of the house!)
  4. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    The chances of me getting a cat are low, as my brother wants cats but mum is allergic, so at least she wouldn't be sneezing in my house! :lol:

Was just wondering in case - as i think in the future i would like a cat!
  5. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    you can get hairless cats
  6. youngstevie

youngstevie

Mojo is a JRT and she loves the cats....and both the kittens:007:
    She will often go into the cage with the rabbit and guineapig too, never had any issues with her, but to be fair I have to say she has been brought up with small furries and cats;-)
  7. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Alfie loves our rabbit and just likes to groom her :lol:
    He ignores my rats but used to also love watching the hamster (just watching, not like trying to get at her). So he would be fine :lol:

Was just curious how "normal" terriers were with them :lol:

Kerriebaby - yeah but I don't think I would ever get one of those tbh lol
  8. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Cats and dogs its all the same I have a cat and 6 terriers.

They all vary in their response to the cat but the main thing I would say is the cats response to the dog.

If it runs they will chase, if its asleep on the chair they walk past.
  9. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Fab, thanks :D
  10. marley123

marley123 New Member

Name:
    tom
    no you should never have terriers and cats in the same house.....

[​IMG][/IMG]

oh wait thats cant be right :lol:

but back to the point most dogs are fine but some arnt, you would know by how he reacted to cats outside anyway
  11. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Thats a lovely picture

I don't think you can judge by how your dog id with cats outside.

I used to groom a Lakeland terrier for someone and he used to laught at the fact I had a cat, said his dog goes mad to get at any cat she sees.
    One day my cat decides to join his dog on the grooming table, dog was interested and gave the cat a sniff but certainly did not try and get or hurt the cat at all.
  12. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I have 2 border terriers, a beddlington terrierxwhippet and a cat :)

You can just see Scribble:

[​IMG]

Helen
  13. parsonsmum

parsonsmum New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    I've got 2 terriers living with 2 cats. They don't interact with each other much, but they do have a healthy respect for each other. The cats were here first, there were a few 'sizing each other up' moments in the beginning. A pic of my lot....the dogs are in the cat beds!:lol:
    [​IMG]
  14. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    That's a great photo!

I think my 2 terriers would think "dinner" too but apparently Izzy was ok with her old family's cats.

When I had my 2 Cairn terriers I could visit my friend who had 3 cats and they would just ignore them but I cannot imagine this scenario with Parker and Izzy!
  15. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Oh I love that picture!!! How I wish that Jimmi was so tolerant, but sadly he absolutely completely totally never will be so.

Jimmi is a JRT and believes that anything that moves must be chased and preferably killed:cry:
  16. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    I have Staffies and cats together, they are the best of friends..............
  17. theo&milly

theo&milly

Name:
    Theo&Milly
    I had a JRT purebred and it never stopped trying to kill my housecat. I got in behaviourists and trainers from very established and respectable companies and a famous charity but nothing could change the dog's attitude toward the cat. I couldn't leave them alone which meant my poor cat was restricted to a counter top in the kitchen and that's no life. I rehomed the JRT with a lady from the Dog's Trust who kept working JRTs after I caught the dog dragging my cat along the kitchen floor by her leg. I was straining pasta and the cat decided to escape which set the dog off. She really hurt my cat and that was the final straw. The cat was there first so the dog had to leave. I personally would never have another terrier type because of my bad experience with this dog. I now have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (years after the JRT) and he's at this minute upstairs in his bed sleeping with the same cat curled up around him. But that's just my experience and each dog is different. I visited the JRT and she wAS much happier in her new home with her doggy friends and no cats to wind her up. PS I was advised to give up the dog by a rescue centre I didn't just give up.
  18. ellea

ellea New Member

Name:
    Joyce
    I have 8 skyes [ 2 of which are 10mts now] and 9 cats and have just got 2 kittens in to re home and even in the past when I had 30 odds cats and kittens and 7 Xbreeds dogs I never had a problem u just have to be 1 step ahead of them at all times but if u have a 8 wk old kitten NEVER leave them together if u are not around to keep a eye on them allway think ahead as for the older cats the dogs know who to play with and who not to
  19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    My Border terrier (5m) and cat (7yrs) get on really well. Paddy invites Ted to chase him and they wrestle a lot too. Paddy was never very close with our other dogs but accepted Ted from the first day we bought him home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would like another kitten but must admit to being nervous of introducing a small cat to Ted. How have other people got on with bringing in a kitten to a terrier house?
  20. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Updating this thread to show you the result of introducing two kittens into our house.
    [​IMG]

:mrgreen:
  21. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Awwwww, just look at that:007: That is such a sweet photo, and it does prove that some terriers are absolutely fine with cats.

Not mine tho:-(