Kaizen (11 weeks old American Akita) Introductions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by 3dgar, Jul 24, 2019.

1. 3dgar

3dgar New Member

Name:
    3dgar

Kaizen (11 weeks old American Akita)

Hi ya'll,

I'm new to the site and has been learning a lot since day 1. I'd like to share my current situation/experience where my learning is being applied to.

So I decided to get a new puppy for my girlfriend since she never had one. She likes Corgis and Shibas, yeahhhh they're irresistible! But I didn't have any access to these breeds and the closest I have is the American Akita.

Long story short, we now have the puppy and named him Kaizen :)

We live in separate houses. So the puppy stays with me all the time (Ooops! was not part of the plan). And I currently have another dog name Luthor. He's a 3 year old doberman.

I never had two dogs at the same time before. I'd like to seek help & advices on how to be at my best in nurturing the puppy while having my both of them sane.

Looking forward to learn more from you all!

Cheers,

3dgar

IMG_7547.jpg IMG_7549.JPG IMG_7536.JPG
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    3dgar likes this.
    There are actually a few Akita owners here and others with personal experience with the breed. I'm sure they'll weigh in with valuable advice. He's a cute young man. All the best with him. I have an 11-12 week old puppy too. Not an Akita but a goofy little mess pot nonetheless.
  4. 3dgar

3dgar New Member

Name:
    3dgar

That's awesome! Looking forward to see pics of your little one as well
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    3dgar likes this.
    Here is my little man. He is a rescue of unknown origin. I did send off an Embark DNA test that should be ready in a few days. That black dog is my older 7 year old Labrador mix, Nigredo. 0724191548c.jpg 0724191548.jpg 0724191548a.jpg 0724191548b.jpg 0719191629.jpg
  6. puppitypup

puppitypup New Member

Name:
    puppitypup
    Hi Edgar,

I joined this forum just so I could respond to your post. I have two serious concerns for your situation.

First, adult male Akitas are not okay with another male dog in the family.

We just went thru this in our family. When we got Hoss at 8 weeks, we had my mother's older lab, Gus, a sweet yellow lab. They were best buds until just last week, when Hoss decided "There can be only one." After a number of escalating attacks, the last two which can only be described as vicious, we sent Gus back home to live with my mother. Fortunately, she's got a place where she can keep him now.

Hoss is a happy, friendly 10 month old Akita who has been through 3 training series plus weekly dog park visits plus private training where needed. Never an issue until the last few weeks. He's not a bad dog, he's an akita.

My second concern is that akitas are not a proper dog for a first time dog owner. And if your girlfriend isn't his fulltime master, there is no way she will be able to control him when he's grown. At least not without serious, dedicated work.

Akitas are not naturally obedient, eager to please, type dogs. They are independent and stubborn. They are incredibly strong and fast. Hoss is already stronger than me, and he's only 2/3 grown. Bottom line, akitas can be frightening and uncontrollable without the proper owner.

Please understand. This is coming from someone who loves the breed. It would break my heart to see that puppy wind up in a shelter at an age where he's not as enticing.

If I were you, I would call your breeder immediately. Alternatively, call a trainer immediately. Get some professional advice.

Sincerely,

Julie
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    That is a great post. Akitas are fairly high on the bite list and banned from many therapy programs etc. I have no experience with them (I am not a fan of aggressive breeds) but it's nice someone who loves this breed came to speak about them.
  8. puppitypup

puppitypup New Member

Name:
    puppitypup
    Edgar,

I woke up this morning still worried about your situation. In my earlier post. I forgot to mention the word "dominant."

That's the key word to describe an Akita. That's why they require an experienced, dedicated owner. A calm, consistent dominant owner. A male Akita will want to be "the man of the house."

When we brought our first Akita home, a male shelter dog, probably about 18 months old, I had no idea what a lengthy process it would be for him to concede that I was boss. And this from someone who has worked with many stubborn horses over the years. I'm no pushover.

In my situation, I have a husband who is an experienced horse trainer and took the role of training Yogi seriously. That was great for hubby, Yogi understood quickly that my husband was boss.

But that didn't transfer automatically to me. It took much longer for me to establish dominance.

It has been hard for me to write these posts, I hope you will see that my only motivation is to help you make the best decision for your family.

Julie
  9. 3dgar

3dgar New Member

Name:
    3dgar

Hi Julie,

THANK YOU!!!

As of the moment, I've been dealing with his nibbling and I realized he's not like any other dogs that I've had in the past. Me and my girlfriend are suffering from all types of scars because of his biting inhibition training (on our own).

I'll definitely take your suggestion to seek professional assistance with Kaizen.

Again, I appreciate you Julie for sharing your story!
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    3dgar and Malka like this.
    It can be done I had 2 male entire Akitas and entire Gsd live happily together without any problems.
    I think it depends on the individual dogs, more than on the breed.