Anatolian enforces house rules too strictly Behaviour

Discussion in 'Anatolian Shepherd Dog' started by Dallas, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Dallas

Dallas New Member

Name:
    Dallas

Anatolian enforces house rules too strictly

Our Anatolian is about 1 year old. He guards my goats and entire homestead, but he also comes inside when he wants too. He was raised this way and knows all the rules of the house as he is VERY intelligent. The problem is, when one of our other young dogs breaks a house rule such as taking one of our cat toys, or jumps on the counter(shes a bloodhound, go figure) our Anatolian gets very upset. He'll growl and coral her into her crate, as we used to do when she was in trouble. He isnt an aggressive dog, but he does escalate to just short of attacking. he mostly does this when i am absent and its just my wife in the room, or if niether of us are there. He also has beef with our oldest cat, probably because he comes and goes as he pleases, and is very sure of himself. Im just a little worried that one day niether of us will be in the room and it will become a fight. Does anyone else have an Anatolian that does this? How do i assure him that when hes inside, its not his job to enforce the rules?

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tambrose76

tambrose76 New Member

Name:
    tambrose76

Attached Files:

4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    You can take the dog out of the job, but can’t take the job outa the dog hehe

they say these breeds are serious about their job , and ask owners to understand .

strong instincts
  5. PieroDucati

PieroDucati New Member

Name:
    Piero
    We have a 12 month old, intact 110 pound male ASD. Tengri is extremely protective of my partner (his Mommy) and is now showing signs of Alpha behaviour (towards me). He's outside guarding the girls during the day, and comes inside around 9:30pm when he starts his King Tengri barking. We too are struggling with his cat aggression, as he's def jealous of our female ki-ki.
    Your guy sounds similar in that he is becoming Alpha in the house. You should set boundaries for him, like big correction word and a snap on his collar lead. If he does not comply, put him in timeout (solitary). He'll learn fast.
    You must make sure you are his Alpha, or he will rule the roost.
  6. hollywood6964

hollywood6964 New Member

Name:
    steve
    I have a Kangal that's nearly 2. You have to show you run everything. That's the beginning and the end. And you can't be light footed about it. Mine is fine after extensive correcting and training, nicest dog to everyone. He still swats at my husky when he thinks he's holding up line to get treats or whatever, but I correct that too. These dogs are just that way. I had another that was mean as hell that I got when he was 3, (shelter was going to put him down, but I decided to give him a go) n he had to go when he warning bit my daughter. Lucky I didn't put him down myself. Got my latest one as a puppy, just a good dog. I'm sure partly due to his genetics, but also in part due to proper training. Training is key. You must be the absolute ruler of the roost.