10 puppies & Us General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GsdSlave, Jul 28, 2017.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Though i've nothing against crates if used properly, when I was growing up crates were unheard of, even now the only time I use one is for traveling.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Although I had never used a crate before, I did buy one for baby Ziva for nights, and Tikva still sleeps in it at night. Never during the day though. And she is very happy and comfortable in it, and does her twirlies before I open it for her to go in!

I never did find out what happened to baby Ziva :(
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Same here. The first time I bought a crate was when we were going on holiday and our newly acquired lurcher was a chewer, so we bought one just for use in the holiday cottage. I dug it out when we brought home the Chihuahua puppy, thinking he would have a refuge from the bigger dogs, but we soon realised it was the other dogs who needed protecting from him. Oh, and I did use it when Jessie the cocker spaniel had a broken leg, so I do think they have their uses, but over the years I've brought up all the puppies I've had 'underfoot'.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Janet likes this.
    that did make me laugh .
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikva and her crate. Yesterday she had her supper around 8pm [supplements, vitamins, vegetables and raw meat] - went out to [presumably do a poo] - and decided that because it was not quite so hot she would stay outside for a while.

Then came in and zonked on the couch until she decided it was bed time. Went out, did a final pee, and then came in and as soon as I had unclipped her tether, shot into the bedroom and did twirlies until I opened her crate, gave her her little bikkie, and she then promptly curled up on the little sleeping pad at the end of the crate.

I do not know what time it was - probably fairly late - and even though I had gotten up early due to a dodgy stomach, Tikva did not stir until nearly 9am when she eeped to be let out for a p&p,

For her her crate is night time sleep time and she is happy in it. It is plenty big enough for her and I know she is safe in it.

So maybe crates are good for some dogs, like Tikki, or are not. It depends on the dog and how you feel about crates.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My Cavaliers loved their crates under the kitchen table. They didn't have the doors closed - two crates, but they just all piled in together. Happy dogs, happy days.
  8. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Inca didn't have one but I was fully mobile when I got her. By the time JJ arrived I'd been in a wheelchair 8 yrs and the fact I knew Inca wouldn't like him and that I can't hear anything from a different room so he had to be within sight at all times. I decided it was safer! I wanted to have somewhere safe he could go when I needed a break, to take Inca out, shower or cooking etc.

I found it helped, he toilet trained quickly and learned to settle down at an age he found it difficult to settle down anywhere else. I did take his first (smaller) crate down at about 8 months old when he was getting too big for it but he just laid next to it and cried and kept pawing it, so ended up getting him an XXL crate and making him a new den so he was happy again...lol! That one is still up in corner of the spare room, though it's rarely used now, he will sometimes go and lie in it or take a treat in and play in there for a while. I just leave the door open At night he sleeps in my bedroom now though in another bed or the floor or comes up for a cuddle!

I'd definitely use one again if I was going to get another.
  9. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    when is this on again? Have I missed the last one? Thought it was BBC2 Thursdays at 8pm?
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It's finished I think. I think there is to be a dog behaviour prog. in the near future, and the Gogglebox team are currently recruiting for a series about problem dogs and their owners.
  11. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    oh I thought there was going to be another program as they reached end of adolescence! was there one last week? I guess I must have missed the last one.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't think so. If there was, I missed it too.
  13. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    oh ok just thought it seemed to end in a strange place like they hadn't finished with the series yet.
  14. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    I think you can still get it on demand.
  15. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    katilea and CaroleC like this.
    The trouble with those programs is, the owners don't have a clue about the basics and common sense, so I'm never surprised anymore when I see a (I'm not going to say problem dog) clueless owner. It's funny how that is never the name of the show though!
  16. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    lol! I think that too, I mean some on the shows with CM and VS don't even seem to know they're meant to walk the dog daily and toilet train it! I can't believe how many people let their dogs poo and wee all over their house and don't know they need to teach it to 'go' outside, and some of these people have kids! (which I assume are potty trained??)
  17. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    I'm thinking of going on dragons den for funding for a new show, called the human whisperer. And look at things from the dogs POV!
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So true!
    You only have to look at the recurring queries on here, and our sister forum's pages. The same problems appear over and over again. Puppies are not cheap these days, and ideally after sale advice should come free for life - so why does nobody keep in touch with their puppy's breeder anymore? Some people have unrealistic expectations of what life with a puppy is going to be like. They wait until a behaviour becomes a real problem, and then start to look for a quick fix.
  19. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Exactly. It's hard work and dedication all the time, not when people can be bothered. And I think that's the main problem. I keep reminding myself that my little man is still learning everyday and if he doesn't get something straight away then I must not be communicating with him properly.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The majority of the people who took [adopted? bought?] the puppies I bred kept in contact with me. I used to get regular letters with updates, photographs etc, Christmas cards, and some kept in regular telephone contact.

I even looked after a couple of the puppies I had bred when their new families either went away or... something. Maybe just for a week.

One in particular, who had bought one of the three puppies of my first litter, stayed in contact until shortly before she passed away, some years after the Griff did. I used to visit her when she lived in Romford and then when she moved to I-cannot-remember-where - and stayed with her during my first and only visit back to the UK when she moved to Fishguard in Wales. I have photographs - somewhere - taken when she came for a weekend when twin came from the US for our 40th birthday, The last letter I received from her told me that she was dying from pancreatic cancer and it was a heartfelt thanks for the puppy and for having been a friend for so many years.

Others? Contact was gradually lost as it tends to be.
  21. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Mr Bronson's breeder always texts to ask how he is and I keep him updated too, so that's nice that the contact between us remains. And if I have any queries he's more than happy to help.