18 month Pitbull (type) General Chat

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by Blenks, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    So what happened to the dog that the thread was about?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Blenks

Blenks New Member

Name:
    Thomas
    Ah! Funny you ask, having just returned from a long working fortnight, I have good news: he is most likely not a Pit, but a cross bulldog/staff, or some such.

I have a video of him here. Terribly savage as you can see.
  4. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    He looks like he has settled in well.:grin:

Are you going to keep him?
  5. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Savage indeed! I'm glad he's settled and is not a pit - he doesn't look like a pit I have to say!
  6. Blenks

Blenks New Member

Name:
    Thomas
    We will keep him, I'm 95% sure of it. He's absolutely adorable. Soppiest thing I've ever seen. Nancy, the pup staff, taunts him all the time and he softly bats her out the way, time after time, and she just keeps coming back for more! He's very protective of Millie and Nancy, and the family, so we have to watch him with other dogs.

I must thank you all for your help and support.
  7. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Glad its worked out ok and that he's not a pit :)
  8. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    That's great news! Looks like he's settled in really well :)
  9. Blenks

Blenks New Member

Name:
    Thomas
    So, yet more news.

Thanks to the help from the lady at Egar (who we contacted), we got in touch with Cotswold Canine Rescue. They were exceptionally helpful and offered to re-home Pat and even pay for his castration, tagging, and vet fees.

Today they came to collect him for castration. Everything was fine until we got a call from Lucy (works for Cotswold Canine) saying that the vet took him in under the pretence of castration, but was going to put him to sleep as he was 'definitely Pit' (these vets are full of sh*t, eh?). Luckily, Lucy managed to get him out of the vets.

Is there any way we can get bona fide word he is not Pit? Having spoken to a lot of people in the know, he is definitely not Pitbull. Even I can tell this after studying nigh on thousands of photo's on the internet of bulldogs, mastiff crosses, pitbulls, staff crosses, etc.

This is rather ongoing.
  10. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    Don't really understand how a vet could do that as you need to sign a consent form to have a dog PTS ? :?
  11. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    i thought you were keeping him?

you could try getting him assessed by a DLO
  12. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Thats a shame...you thought you had it all sorted and then they do that:?
    Sorry i dont know the answer, but keep bumping the thread up till someone sees it who can help!!
  13. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a
    That is DISGUSTING!!!!:evil: Surely that cannot be legal, to take a dog under the false pretence of re-homing it, then having it PTS - I cannot believe anyone could be so deceitful. Surely, if he wanted to put Pat to sleep because of the Pitbull thing, he would have to apply and do it through the proper channels:evil:

You really can't trust anybody, if you can't trust a Vet:roll:

Well, I don't have an answer but I hope somebody does, as it's clear that this dog needs help. Lots of people said they thought he wasn't Pitbull, so perhaps some paperwork to confirm that might be helpful. How you go about that, I do not know. Hope someone can help you. You really have been a guardian angel to this boy, whatever his breed.

Best of luck to you in sorting out his problems:001:
  14. Blenks

Blenks New Member

Name:
    Thomas
    Lucy works for a charity and gets money off the vet fees, so if that could change the consent forms then I suppose that's what they were planning on.

What's a DLO?

Also, Cheeky, rest assured Cotswold Canine are godsends, it's the vets who are the bast*rds. They did everything they could but the vet tried to take him away from them.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  15. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    I am sure what the vet has tried to do is illegal. A vet can only put a dog down (apart from desperate EMERGENCIES) with signed consent of the owner/guardian - who is that in this case? Technically they can put a dog down for ANY reason if the owner wants it done but it has to be the owner's express authorisation. No idea where you go from here though. There is a dog law expert but i can't remember his name off my head - will have a look. Maybe worth contacting DEFRA about people who can "authenticate" pits but that may risk him going into care for a long period to prove it or not.
  16. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a
    Oh, sorry, was so disgusted at what I was reading, I didn't take it all in properly! I assumed the Vet worked at Cots Can:blush:

I read it all through properly and see the situation now!

Thank goodness Lucy got the dog away from the Vet before anything awful happened:cry:

I really hope something gets sorted out:?
  17. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
  18. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi

a DLO is Dog Liaison Officer.
    most pilcie forces have them. the met has dozens, hertfordshire has 1. i dont know about dorset

if the dog is friendly, you live in a rural location with no pit bull issue, and you have all the assessments and evidence in your favour re his type, then the odds are that the local DLO will approve your dog.

i would check with Trevor cooper first though, on the last link

im curious as i thought you wanted to keep him?
  19. Blenks

Blenks New Member

Name:
    Thomas
    We did want to keep him - we still do. The problem we have is we already have three pets, four with him included, and he is more hard work than all of the others combined. My mum is ill and I work a lot. If we had no other dogs, or just Millie (OAP), we'd keep him.

I'll get onto the CFBA, though where did you see the name Trevor Cooper?

Also, having just spoken to the lady at Egar again, she said a lot of vets, like police, are terribly ignorant and have no compassion at all.

Over the last year or so I've lost all respect for authorities in this country.
  20. poser

poser New Member

Name:
    debbie
    www.justicefordogs.org i think these can help-they helped with my mums 'aggressive' dog who had a destruction order served on him but they helped prove his innocence
  21. poser

poser New Member

Name:
    debbie
    sorry- that was wrong website!! you can contact justice for dogs uk on 01544 370 213