18 month Pitbull (type) General Chat

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by Blenks, Nov 28, 2008.

1. poser

poser New Member

Name:
    debbie
    they specialize in the dangerous dogs act so therefore would be able to help you with proving he is not a pit. I would definately give them a ring they are a godsend
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
  5. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    fair play to you blenks

sorry, Trevor Cooper doesnt work for the CFBA.
    they are primarily a dog training/behaviourist group.
    this must be a new service they are offering.

Trevor Cooper is way more experienced though.
    He is the number one solicitor and legal expert on canine law in the UK.
    It was mainly him that saved a lot of the dogs seized as pit bull types in the years gone by.

EDDR has been at it for years as well, and deednotbreed are a new group formed about 1 year ago to campaign against Breed Specific Legislation, but have quickly become quite powerful and effective, always in meetings with police forces etc.

i dont know the other Amercian-based group mentioned, but any help is good.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I am at a loss to understand why any vet would do such a thing... Vets dont just put dogs down for no reason, and I am sure they need signed consent to do so.

Surely any vet who took it up themselves to euthanize a dog, without liasing with either the owner or rescue, would be in serious danger of losing his license??
  7. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    these are really good and are in the uk
  8. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali

There may be occasionaly vets out there who are ignorant / lacking in compassion but there are far more out there who are the kindest most compassionate people you could ever meet . They do not become vets just so they can kill healthy dogs for absolutely no reason at all :?
  9. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I really think there must be some mistake here. I really don`t believe a vet would try to kill a dog brought in for castration because of its breed.
  10. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    i do

i know of a similar incident, not breed related, but same approach
  11. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a
    Have to say, over the years I have lost respect for the Vets I have encountered, for one reason or another.:-(

At last, I seem to have found a really great Vet.:)

I really don't understand though, how a Vet can pts a pet that is coming in for castration. Surely questions would have been asked. It doesn't really make any sense:?
  12. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
  13. Blenks

Blenks New Member

Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks very much guys, again.

Gary and his partner came round today, they're helping us obtain food for a cut price and also walking him with another few dogs his size, so he can have a real rough and tumble play.

Fingers crossed with rehoming him. We're getting in touch with Trevor Cooper soon, as we really need documentation stating he is NOT illegal.
  14. Blenks

Blenks New Member

Name:
    Thomas
    Well, here I am, back again.

I just wanted to thank you guys for your help and support through the initial stage of our time with Pat. We never did get in touch with Trevor Cooper, because we never really needed it. Pat calmed down a little, mum's friends rallied round and formed what they called a 'growler group' (incredibly embarrassing for people as cool as my brother and I) where Pat would be muzzled and played with 6-7 other 'bulletproof' dogs (wippets, lurchers, etc) in a field, and we got the garden fenced so he couldn't get to people coming up the drive, and they had a doorbell.

Unfortunately, whilst out walking roughly a fortnight ago, Pat was hit by a truck and killed instantly. There was absolutely nothing that could be done. It was one of those moments that I almost feel was meant to be, it was so unlucky. Mum had both dogs on the lead (Pat then knew that when mum was holding the lead, he would absolutely never pull - he trained brilliantly) but she tripped and dropped both. Pat and Nancy (the little Staff! Still going well! She got hit by a car at 30mph but survived and was playing within 2 days!) both felt the leads loosen so, as they'd been told, they could now run, play, chase whatever they wanted.

A deer just so happened to pop out of the hedgerow - Pat bound after it, as did Nancy, trying to keep up with her adopted idol. Mum had the agonising choice of which lead (both flung metres apart) to leap for - naturally, she chose Nancy's, being my brother's loved puppy, protecting her through instinct. The deer ran across the road into another field, and Pat went to follow, into the path of an oncoming truck. Pat didn't even see the truck, and was lifeless from impact. Severe head trauma.

The following day we spent 5 hours tearfully digging 6 feet. Such physical exertion in blistering heat, exhausting all of us, seemed to suffice closure.

I always felt Pat would come to a sticky end, and I always hoped it would be to his ignorance. Being taken by the police would have been horrible. I could not have had him PTS because then I'd feel responsible, and he already knew what a horrible place the vets was.

If any of you have seen or read Of 'Mice And Men', Pat's death seems all too similar to the death of Lenny. The big, lumbering oaf, never aware of his strength, always too affectionate, always misconstrued, loved only by those who knew the real him, hated and feared by the ignorant. He died in his own little dream world, ecstatic with the thrill of sprinting after his prey, naive to the fact he could never have caught it.

He died dreaming and happy.

RIP, Pat, try not to cause havoc in heaven.
  15. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry to hear about Pat :( xx
  16. youngstevie

youngstevie

So sorry to read this

RIP sweetheart. xxx
  17. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name: