1st April 2016 Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Apr 3, 2014.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.

1st April 2016

1st April 2016 all dogs must be microchipped by law, but not all dog wardens, rescue homes or RSPCA check for microchips, when dogs are taken in.

We have dogs in rescue home I work in with 3 & 4 microchips in them, 1 of these dogs as chips registered in Scotland, another in Leeds, 3rd in Manchester, each one of the people we phoned up said their dog as been lost/stolen the poor dog as had 3 different names, he is 9 years old (we thought he was 6 or 7 years old) his first owners lost him when they were on holiday 5 years ago, his second owners said he was stolen 2 years ago & his last owners said he disappeared from their garden roughly 6 months ago.

By law we can't hand the dog over to any of the owners, as his 1st & 2nd owners are fighting over him in court.

So is the law correct in saying all dogs must be chipped.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    All of mine have always been chipped for decades now. I got my cat back after 5 months when someone "rescued" it, because they took it to a vet who did scan and then rang me and asked what I wanted to do. I wanted her back and her "rescuer" wanted to keep her. I got her back, hugely overweight and running alive with fleas, some "rescuer".

eta yes I do think all dogs should be chipped, maybe they need a law to ensure all rescues, vets etc. thoroughly scan every dog on their first encounter.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    All 9 of my pets are chipped & tattooed, but 2 of my cats chips have stopped working & Ziva's chipped as moved to under her left leg & Kobi's we found out as stopped working, but am hoping that as he is tattooed I won't have to rechip him.
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I was told my prt's chip had stopped working by the dog warden when he went walkabout but when scanned again by my vet before implanting another it was still working. I only got him back because I flooded the area with posters and someone responded saying he'd been sat on her doorstep and as she'd had to go to work she'd called the dog warden.
    The dogs in rescue in your original post couldn't have been scanned properly if they have 3 or 4 chips, surely they scan them before implanting another.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    We scan all dogs that come into our rescue home, but paperwork that comes with dogs always says "not scanned" or can't find chip, it takes us few seconds to locate chips, but we will always check scruff neck chest under legs even if we already located a chip, that's how one dog as 3 chips 1 in scruff neck, 1 in chest other under leg.
    When I took the hooligans to vet other week they scanned him all over they couldn't find his chip, so I took him with me to rescue home & they scanned him they too can't locate chip, I was thinking of having him X-Rayed to see if chip can be located then run scanner over that area, but my vets told me that some chips can stop working, so at moment I am leaving him & am hoping that his tattoo will be enough, if not then I have him rechipped but not until March 2016.
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    6JRT's likes this.
    Yeah I know they move Rio's was in her armpit of her front leg, you could feel it through the skin, just like a grain of rice. I got my friend to scan to make sure I wasn't going nuts and there it was.
  8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    6JRT's and GsdSlave like this.
    I'm strongly against it while it's not proof of ownership, or while vets/dog wardens/rescues are not required by law to scan new arrivals. It just makes no sense whatsoever. What's it set to achieve exactly? How is it going to be policed?

My Missy is chipped, was done as a young pup. It's since migrated and is somewhere near her shoulder blade. New pup will be chipped too as it's a requirement to import him. I've never had Ty done, and to be honest, I'm not going to be rushing to have him done either. Might make me sound irresponsible flouting the law. But I see no need to have him done as the law stands as it is. I've signed all the petitions going calling for the law to make it proof of ownership!

Your case with the poor rescue dog proves my point entirely.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Microchips here are registered with the Ministry of Agriculture under the ID number of the owner, which makes it proof of ownership.
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    6JRT's likes this.
    All of mine have been chipped since the '80's and tbh I couldn't care less whether it's law or not, I just want the best possible chance of getting my pet back should they ever go walkabout.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    l m totally against 'compulsory' MC.
    As we all know, it is already the law and compulsory for dogs to wear id tags, but many don't, and as far as I know, nobody bothers to enforce this law, so what is the point of bringing in another law to basically do the same thing !we've got enough legislation that cannot be enforced without adding more to the mix.,the Government are not doing it for welfare reasons but to make it easier to trace and prosecute owners of violent dogs !!(dream on)

Plus people who dump their dogs will still be able to claim that they sold it,or gave it away, who is going to prove otherwise.

lm sure most owners who really care will choose to have their dogs chipped/tattooed anyway.

Yes l had one fail, luckily we were on our way to France not returning, Kyra had to have a general anaesthetic, to be x rayed as vet couldn't find it, he then put in another , not only had we the upset of missing chip but the trauma of putting her under. had it happened on return journey id have been devastated.
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    Interesting case Tina - let us know how it turns out. Wonder how they will decide who the dog belongs to...
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    6JRT's likes this.
    I have always had my dogs chipped. for the simple reason its ups the chance of getting them back is lost.......

I think its a good idea for all dogs to be chipped, but its not going to happen law or not........ lets face it most dogs laws now are not policed so one more wont make a difference.
  14. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Some owners :021:
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Not sure what happen with last message but will try again
    There have been several reports of pets developing cancer where the microchip was injected.
    Owners having to leave their dogs in France as their dogs microchips have stopped working.
    Pets are dying from blood lost having being injected with a microchip.

there are links to these stories but they all came up blank in my above post for some reason
    o_O :confused:
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Looks like all the links have come up blank again :005: not sure what I am doing wrong :024:
  17. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    Phoebe is chipped but ive never had it checked in the 6 years she had it. Hope it still works. One time the dog warden got her after she smashed her way through the fence my best friend lived next door and took phoebe of him so i wouldnt have to pay the £100 fine.
  18. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    Not sure why they came up blank Tina - try pasting the actual urls rather than links to see if that works?
  19. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    If I want to bring Georgina to England she has to be microchipped and the number put in her Pet Passport. The same with Sashicat.

I don't know whether the same rule applies in the UK but to enrol in Training Classes you have to show that the dog is microchipped and is up to date with all their vaccinations.
  20. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yes its the same here in England, but some training schools don't bother asking same as some kennels, all they want is the money.
  21. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    What's urls ? Me & computers don't like each other.