1st January 2017 & already we have 3 unwanted Christmas pups Rescue

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Jan 1, 2017.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Chris B likes this.
    It is we have had another 5 unwanted Christmas puppies in [Border Collie, Yorkshire Terrier, Pug Cross, Poodle Cross & Beagle] all aged between 9 to 12 weeks old.

I am madly in love with Luna the Whippet/Italian Greyhound & am thinking of adopting her.
    We have a couple that came in nearly every week last year looking for a Staffy puppy so I phoned them up telling them we have a non pedigree 10 week old female Staffy bought in, so they came down & have put a reserve on her & hopefully after the new home check as been done pup will be going to her new home on or around the 15th January.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's and Malka like this.
    This is making me so angry! I really don't know how you cope, Tina, with having to deal with so many stupid and emotionally stunted people. Also, some of these breeds are not cheap to buy, what makes a person fork out £700 or so, just to own a puppy for a week!
    I just thank goodness that there are places like yours, Battersea, the Dogs Trust, and Beagle Welfare, to pick up the pieces.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    I think it falls into two categories, one being the puppies are bought as presents by family/friends without asking and are unwanted by the recipient.
    The other being parents buy puppy for kids not realising just how much work is involved and what they are actually getting themselves into.
    One only has to look at certain sites and you will find loads of adverts like this.(Full Pedigree Chihuahuas for Sale READY FOR CHRISTMAS in Tredegar
    Then you get puppies specially bred for Xmas being handed in/dumped by breeders if they haven’t been sold.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    The Beagle pup has now been reserved again we just need to do home check then he can go live with his new owners who are very experience Beagle owners they have own Beagles for 18 years & have a 14 month old female at moment, [they only came in to donate some food/blankets] we told them had a 12 week old KC registered puppy one look at him & they fell in love with him.

Now just got to try to find homes for the others the Border Collie is going to be the hardest pup to rehome [we already have 16 looking for new homes]
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    I am glad that it is someone who knows what to expect!
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yes normally fathers that don't live at home will buy puppy without asking their mother first.
    Adults don't think about the over all cost of owning a puppy they just see a cute puppy buy without thinking, about first injections, yearly boosters flea worming treatments, food, toys etc.

Christmas being December & January, then Holiday season being July & August are our busiest time every year for dumping unwanted puppies [kennels won't take in dogs under 12 months old so are dumped at The Rescue Home]
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    We will always try to adopt pups/dogs to people who have previously or still own that breed of dog.
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    She's done well to get both bitches back in condition for crufts, when they only gave birth 4 and 6 weeks ago !!

What proof did you see that satisfied you she only breeds a litter evey other year, you just said she's got two on the ground now plus the litter of the pup you just returned to her....you don't need a breeders licence to breed one litter every other year.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    She had the KC registered tree showing which bitch was mated & how many puppies (going back 10 generations) the 3 breeding bitches she as at moment all came into season within weeks of each other, (like I have said before bitches in season can bring other bitches into season) the other bitches she had have already had 3 litters each so are not going to be bred again.
    She keeps a female puppy from each litter (she as 3 female puppies from this years litters) she not breeding next year but again in 2018 she will breed again.

All puppies would be fully weaned by time Crufts comes round (14- 16 weeks old roughly) giving enough time for the 2 bitches still with puppies time to get into condition for Crufts (kennel group as well as class rounds) I will be going hopefully to watch the terriers.
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    You said, she only breeds 1 litter every other year, and you saw the proof of this, yet she has already had 3 litters in the last few months, if pup you returned is around 4 ish months old plus a 4 week and 6 week old litter, that spades away from one litter every other year.

I know having multiple bitches can result in them all coming into Season at the same time, but I don't know what that has to do with anything, you don't have put them all in pup just because they have all come into season.

All pups my be weaned by crufts, but to get bitches back into tip top condition is about 6/8 weeks to show at crufts is going to take some doing.

These bitches are going to have to tighten up, along with coats recovering , it's a bit of a task to achieve this.

What's " kennel group" ?
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I call it kennel group not sure what the real name is.
    Where a group of dogs are shown together ie Family of Labradors, Family of Fox Terriers, Family of GSD's so on.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    There did used to be classes for a group of dogs which could have multiple owners, but were bred by a single breeder. Although these classes looked spectacular, they were not very well supported, probably due to logistical problems. I'm not sure which year these were withdrawn but I seem to think it was around 2014. Perhaps Lou or Jackie will have a better memory. I have checked this year's schedule, and couldn't find any mention of these classes.
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The " breeders compition " is a stand alone compition on the Saturday at crufts
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh thanks Jackie. I had checked in the groups and the definitions of classes. This must be the class that Tina is talking about then.
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    CaroleC likes this.
    It's not in the schedule it's on the KC website
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Thanks Jackie I didn't know what it called I always knew it as kennel group class
  18. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Staffy & Beagle are going to their new homes next week [Tuesday for Staffy & Friday for Beagle] both homes have passed the home check & the sister of the couple who's having the Beagle as put a reserve on Tommy the Pomeranian as she is use to owning small dogs all be it Chihuahua's but do have good knowledge when it comes to small toy breeds, so we are happy for her to adopt Tommy as long as she passes the home check.
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    A pity the Beagle will not be old enough for The World Record, they need to be 12 months.
    The count reached 1056 dogs last week - and still 3 months to go.
  20. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Think the couple are going with their 14 month old female Beagle as I did catch few words from them saying Beagle record when they were meeting the pup, but can't be sure as I was to busy filling out the reserve form.
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    Good! The puppy can still attend for the day, but can't take part in the official record attempt. Once it has taken place, they can walk over the same route.