ACD -New Owner General Chat

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Bob A, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Bob A

Bob A New Member

Name:
    Bob A

ACD -New Owner

I recently got an ACD, about 5 months old. She is doing well and I’ve started training her. During training sessions (when treats are around) she does very well and usually at other times as well. But there are times when she simply ignores me and any commands I give; kinda like “who are you and why are you speaking to me? I’m retired and work with her a couple of hours a day but she is an outside dog (wife agreed to a dog but not inside). Like I’ve said, most of the time she is great, wants to be with me, trains easily, affectionate. Then, like the flip of a light switch, I don’t warrant her notice. Any ideas?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I’ve got a few passing thoughts about your new best mate ,

one is about pups attention spans being short sometimes.

another is about bonding and friendship, cattle dogs are like best mates , and making life interesting , so they’re more inclined to want to join in the fun activities you do together.

I think that’s the building blocks, as these dogs are not part time dogs.
    They are working dogs , extremely intelligent.
    Easily bored , and that seems to be the secret to working together I’ve found.

Mine come everywhere with me.

I have to invent new activities and adventures for them.

because they can be willful and smart , it could just as simple as being bored with it, and deciding to sit it out.

of course there’s no being sure of your situation and relationship.

you did ask any thoughts however.

i’d say don’t underestimate how much they like to be busy,

they are proper working dogs bred to go to work and do a job and try see it through her eyes.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My breed can be a bit like this - their hunting instinct is strong, and they are independent thinkers. Though it isn't a good idea to rely solely on treats for training, there are times we need them to make ourselves more interesting. I use voice, play, or a quick cuddle to reward a smart response but, unless we are under test, I always have super treats in my pocket and my Beagles know this only too well. Their job is to do enough to earn them.
    They should Come or Stop the moment I tell them, as these two commands can be lifesavers. As they can be easily distracted by their Beagle noses, I don't mind using treats to reinforce or reward a speedy response to these commands.
  5. Rick McC.

Rick McC. New Member

Name:
    Rick
    I trained mine without the use of any treats, but she bonded with me within a few days of when I got her at eight weeks old.

That said; I can’t imagine how a Heeler could bond with anyone when they’re left outside.

Kyrie’s over three years old now, and still grumbles at me every night when it’s time to go to bed, and she can’t follow me into the bedroom.

Whenever I go anywhere, from going into another room, to leaving home for several hours; she’ll be lying across whatever door I went through until I come back.
  6. Rick McC.

Rick McC. New Member

Name:
    Rick
    After thinking of the situation a hit; I believe that her feelings are hurt at being excluded from your life on an ongoing and extended basis, and her “ignoring you” is her attempting to show you how she feels.

And yes; they really are that smart...