Afghan Hounds - any one have one? Discussions

Discussion in 'Afghan Hound' started by alexandra, Mar 9, 2008.

1. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex

Afghan Hounds - any one have one?

Hi every one...

Remember that program where theo pafitas had that afghan hound - well they caught my eye from that moment...

then seeing them on crufts...

My heart has been taken!

Now it would be about 10yrs till we could get one...

But does anyone have one?

what are they like?

Alex
    xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    When i was younger there was a lady who holiday cottage we used to rent had them , And they were wonderful friendly big dogs , I have pics some where ill go dig them out now ,Atruly beautiful breed imo xxdk
  4. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    lol, after your grooming course Alex see if you are still interested! :lol:
  5. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Sue L will be able to give you lots of Afghan gen - this is Sue`s` Afghan, Sox, who won Hound AV in the 2007 Virtual Show :grin:

[​IMG]
  6. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    Here you go Alex , Sorry about the quality as they are really old pictures [​IMG]
    This one had its hair cut [​IMG]
  7. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    oh im fully aware of the groomig needs - but im figuring by then as a groomer i will be more equipped literally to deal with it!!!
  8. kirstya72

kirstya72 New Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Weren't they just fabulous on Crufts tonight:grin: , I loved watching them race-gorgeous dogs but way too high maintenance on the grooming for me:blush:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2008
  9. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Used to have one some years ago. The saying goes that you don't own an Afghan, they own you.
    Beautiful dogs - if it wasn't for the daily grooming, I would have another. :D
    [​IMG]
  10. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    what are they like for training ie recall etc...

they are stunning!!
  11. Sue L

Sue L New Member

Name:
    sue
    Well I have had (or should I say been owned by) Afghans for years. Started with one and suddenly we were living with 5:shock:

They are not a breed for everyone. They do require a lot of grooming especially whilst losing their puppy coat. I brush mine every other day and bath them about 3-4 weeks. They are not the easiest dog to train but with patience it can be done. They even enjoy agility.

They are the biggest thieves around - they use their long legs and necks to reach the hardest of places for food:lol: They are very loyal to their families and people they know but can be aloof with strangers. A lot cannot be let off for free running unless in a secure place. I have been lucky in the past and used to run four off lead all together, but Jenna(who is the only one I have now) would just take off.

I used to race all of mine and they really enjoyed it. Unfortunately there are now only two tracks running in the whole of the country:cry: This is not because the Affie people are no longer interested but it is getting more difficult to find a track willing to let them use it.

They are clowns and also very lazy - preferring to lay on the best seat in the house and mine would even push us off the sofa it they could:grin: Two good walks a day for an adult will keep them healthy and happy.

There are a few health problems in the breed - laryngeal paralysis, hypothoridism and even cardiomyopathy are some of the major ones.

Hope this has helped but great thought is needed before owning one because they are definitely addictive:lol:

Sue
  12. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    thqnks for the info - like i said it will be a fair while till we can get one but i like to know what i am doing!