American Pit Bull Terrier Discussions

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    Hi Can someone please tell me if the following is correct. There is someone on another forum who posted the folowing.

"We live in Scotland where the law if different from England and Wales re American Pit Bulls and the DD Act. Pit Bulls are not banned here but there are restrictions they must be muzzled , neutered and harnessed and should be registered by the government."

I posted that I thought American Pit Bulls were banned in scotland and the person posted that "We did out homework on the DD Act in Scotland and are okay as long as we abide by the restrictions to the breed"

Can someone please tell me if this is correct as I am curious and somewhat confused.

I have to say that this particular dog looks a lovely specimen.
  4. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    HI Lovezois..
    The only thing I could find was this leaflet, which may be out of date, but check out the exemptions thing...
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/ddogsleaflet.pdf
    I don't think the law is different in Scotland, but I think a court has to agree to an exemption for the dog. I think...don't know though.
    In the right hands they are lovely dogs.
  5. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Thanks for the link Ramble I shall have a look.

I agree that they are lovely dogs in the right hands and the pictures of this particular one show a stunning looking dog.
  6. Nursey

Nursey New Member

Name:
    Nursey
    The Dangerous Dogs Act certainly covers Scotland. I just typed into Google 'Dangerous Dogs Act Scotland'.

Now Northern Ireland seems to excluded, but not Scotland.

Dawn R.
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Relates to Northern Ireland:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1991/Uksi_19912292_en_2.htm

"Dangerous dogs
    3. After Article 25 of the Dogs Order there shall be inserted the following Articles—

"Dogs bred for fighting
    25A.—(1) This Article applies to—
    (a) any dog of the type known as the pit bull terrier;

(b) any dog of the type known as the Japanese tosa; and

(c) any dog of any type designated for the purposes of this Article by an order of the Department, being a type appearing to the Department to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose.

(2) No person shall—
    (a) breed, or breed from, a dog to which this Article applies;

(b) sell or exchange such a dog or offer, advertise or expose such a dog for sale or exchange;

(c) make or offer to make a gift of such a dog or advertise or expose such a dog as a gift;

(d) cause or permit such a dog of which he is the keeper or of which he is for the time being in charge to be in a public place unless the dog is muzzled and kept on a lead; or

(e) abandon such a dog of which he is the keeper or, being the keeper or for the time being in charge of such a dog, permit it to stray.

(3) After 30th November 1991 no person shall have any dog to which this Article applies in his possession or custody except—
    (a) in pursuance of a power of seizure conferred by this Order; or

(b) in accordance with an order for its destruction made under this Order;

but the Department shall by order make a scheme for the payment to the keepers of such dogs who arrange for them to be destroyed before that date of sums specified in or determined under the scheme in respect of those dogs and the cost of their destruction."
  8. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Thanks all it is as I thought.
  9. Abbas_786

Abbas_786 New Member

Hi here are some example of types of APBT's

A game bred dog usually from lines which were used in fighting before or still are?? they are alot smaller much leaner

[​IMG]

The other common type is the more stero typical version the large head big stocky type dog
    [​IMG]

and lastly the show bred dogs

[​IMG]
  10. Tee

Tee New Member

Name:
    Tee lol
    The last 2 pics are what I recognise as pit bulls. Their faces are completely different, I don't see how they're the same breed.
  11. Abbas_786

Abbas_786 New Member

The 1st pic is what you can say "a real pitbull" is ment to be like smaller dogs 30-50lbs 18/20 inches at shoulder these are game bred dogs which were used in dog fighting which is what the dog was bred for in the 1st place

where as the others the 2nd pic is a razors edge dog which are bred more for large frame and head(big mean dogs?)

the last pic is pretty close to what an AM staff would look like the AM staff was bred to be the gentlemans pitbull where some oweners of the breed wanted to get away from the stero type view of dog fighters etc so they bred for different things this dog is now known as the AM staff though when traced back they come from pitbull lines.
  12. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    give me the first pitbull anyday, in lovely shape, shame about the 2nd and 3rd one, not what pitbulls are meant to look like
  13. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    In the research I have done on American Bulldogs, on 1 website it said that American Pitbull Terriers were many decades ago produced from American Bulldogs X American staffs.
    I am hoping this is not the case as I own a AB x SBT and I do not want him confused with a APBT!
    In what I have read up, the AB x SBT, were called 'Rough Curs' and they were sent in to attack their prey and then the American Bulldogs were sent in to finish the fight off.

I see pitbulls as fighting dogs, but I think that's my judgement as this is what pitbulls are broadcasted as. If I looked into the breed, my opinion may change, but I have never had any reason to research the pitbull terrier.
  14. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    pitbulls and staffords where bred for fighting, but that is not the case so much anymore, not every pit and stafford are fighting dog, many are pet dogs
  15. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    Oh I know, I have owned 3 staffys, and I currently own a staffy X AB. In my personal opinion, my AM x SBT is the best natured dog I have ever owned. I am just not sure that a pitbull would appeal to me. The thing that would worry me, is dogs that were once originally bred for fighting, would still have a fighting instict in them. Mind you if that was the case, that would go for the SBT too. I cant put my finger on what it is that determines my opinion on the APBT.
  16. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci

You have a dog bred out of two breeds that have a known history of being bred for fighting...American Bulldogs were bred in mind for many things, dog fighting is one of them! We are all familiar with Stafford history...
  17. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    Yes but as this thread is about APBT's I am giving my opinion on these, not American bulldogs. I am aware that my dogs 2 breeds were both bred for fighting, but i see the pitbull as a more vicious dog than than say the SBT or the AB. This is just my personal opinion.
  18. Tee

Tee New Member

Name:
    Tee lol
    I see, that's interesting. I like those dogs, both 'types' and I think it's a shame they're banned here.
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The first pic is a "Pit Bull" thats what they are, fighting dogs, the others are types derived from the first to suit our eyes not their design and function. The first dog is a picture of fitness.
    Dawn.
  20. Laura

Laura New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Media perhaps?

Never ever judge a book by its cover or by what critics write go and see it for yourself, then come back with an informed opinion. The APBT is no more vicious than the SBT, the EBT, the collie or the chiuaua.

You have two dogs with a known history of fighting mixed together. What you have found is a good natured animal, very loving of it's master, give the APBT the respect he deserves and judge him only when you have met him and enough of him to make an informed decision. Dont go by the name or by the image go by what you see with your own eyes.

The Stafford was bred for fighting the american bulldog can also be aggressive, dont confuse dog aggression with human aggresion. As I said dont base your opinion on what you have heard through the media or whatever base it on fact and personal experience. I always find that works far better, sometimes you are pleasantly surprised.
  21. Laura

Laura New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Based on? Sorry not being rude but, for example, I would never say all Muslims are terrorists because of the actions of "a few" that would be condemning a whole race because of the actions of the minority. The same applies to dogs.

How can you say that the APBT is more vicious than other dogs if you have never spent any time with many or have experience of them. Could you say border terriers are better at herding than alsatians having seen neither attempt it?

I had an awful experience with a collie when I was six, my grandfather had a farm and it was one of his working dogs, I understand what happened was bad but I would never ever chatise a whole breed because of the experience I had with one dog. Nor would I ever condemn a whole breed as vicious because of public perception or my one experience.

As I said see it for yourself, evaluate it and then make an informed opinion. If you consider there are over 1,000,000 APBTs in the USA if they were SO vicious why would there be so many owners still alive and fighting their cause.

As I said they are in a way the victim of their own success, a much misunderstood breed of dog who in the right hands can make a fabulous pet but in the wrong hands sadly can sometimes be a disaster.