American pitbull terrier.opinions please Discussions

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by keithcampos, Aug 14, 2009.

1. keithcampos

keithcampos New Member

Name:
    andrw
    yes,plumbers alligator is a legendary dog and every thing about him represents pride,he created a whole line of dogs some 40 yrs later still being bred,he lived to the ripe old age of 12 and died of natural causes.He is one of the most famous dogs in the breeds history.If i owned stock off him,which i dont and is hard to obtain i would be filled with pride.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. keithcampos

keithcampos New Member

Name:
    andrw
    Most times fear is based off ignorance,the apbt is one of the most people friendly dogs in the world.
    sADly its image has been butchered by the press.
  4. boredmaud

boredmaud New Member

Name:
    Ria
    I am fortunate enough to have known a Pit Bull who was a great family pet in a home with 3 young children... unfortunately it appears to be the Pit Bulls turn to be hounded and abused by the press which in turn put the government and the police in a position where they have to be seen to be doing something . Because they are the chosen breed of a small minority of morons that we dare to call human beings....big powerfull dog in wrong hands equals trouble and the breed will suffer for human error yet again ... this is so sad
  5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    But not dog-friendly?! If you have loads of land and live in the country, that's okay, but the UK is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Dogs here have to fit in, or they end up having sad, captive lives.
  6. keithcampos

keithcampos New Member

Name:
    andrw
    but dogs such as staffs and bull terriers still carry DA traits,either way a dog that has inbred traits should be kept under control as should any breed weather in the country or in the city,apbts are mainly found in the cities in the USA and problems are quite infrequent infact the only problems that arise are the ones televised by the press,when another dog bites human its ignored,when a apbt even nips a human its on the news and labeled as a attack,the public feeds off these story,thats why theres TV shows like when animals attack,the public,at least in America enjoys this stuff.sick as it may be.
  7. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    Hi, just thought I would show a few pics of our Sid, his temperament with people is second to none, he can inflict serious injury from his ever wagging tail lol, he is fantastic with bitches and puppies, he's had his poor old plums bitten numerous times but never a dirty word from him, he is terrorised by Jess the JRT, she is a bitch to him coz she knows she can outrun him. I would never trust him around livestock or adult male dogs, so we never put him in the position where he will come face to face with them

[​IMG]
  8. keithcampos

keithcampos New Member

Name:
    andrw
    nice looker!
  9. JanieM

JanieM New Member

Name:
    Jane
    I'm not an ignorant person on the whole, but I understand what you're saying. The press has a lot to answer for but so do the stupid idiots who get their hands on dogs they have no business owning (not all owners btw).
  10. shortbedder

shortbedder New Member

Name:
    tommy
    It's a shame that the BSL robs those interested in owning the APBT. It really is a wonderful breed, I have owned four.
    I prefer the Game bred dogs over the show breeding. The fact is when I bought my first APBT they were not very popular and I had never heard of an ASBT (AKC) I liked how people frindly they are and most are OK around non -agessive dogs if they haven't been challenged in the past.
    In 1994 I bought my first SBT I'm on my second one I do not see much difference in the two breeds temperment.
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I geuss from your history lesson and the pride you have in the founder of the breed for his fighting ability , one can be forgiven for assuming you suport the practice.

Along with the statement below.

Are you saying that peopel who get involved in dog fighting are not all sick B****** :?

Because thats the way its coming across to me!!

AS I said, admiration for a successful fighting dog

Comparing them to the SBT , holds no clout, the difference is, the Staffie by the nature of good breedign has been bred to fit into society as well ajusted dogs........ that is if they are bred by responsible KC breeders..just like many other breeds who where once used to fight or bait...many many yrs ago, these traits have been bred out...

Can you say that about the APBT... as far as I can see they are still bred for their fighting ability and "never give in" constitution...

Saying they are good with peopel is a cop out, they have to be dont they, you dont want they biting the hand that fights them now , do you!!

So yes, from yours and VK's Crystal `s response, I read you both as people who admire the fighting ability in these dogs!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    So what is it that you are proud of..

What stamp has he imprinted into his off springs.

I remember watching a under cover programme on Pitts.. and they selling of dogs, they all quoted this dog "Plumber" as being in the heritage of the dogs they where selling.

But for its "fighting" die hard" "never giving up" traits he passed along his lines.

This was all they where intersted in.. no fab temperament, easy going or any of the traits society expects in their family pets!!!!!!!

So I wonder who looking for a good family pet would be impressed with the heritage 5/6 ? generations ago of the gg ggg/father ? of their dog being renowned for his fighting ability , which has been selectively bred into his off springs!:?
  13. VK's Crystal

VK's Crystal New Member

Name:
    Christina
    I have rescued many a fighting dog and rehabbed and retrained them to be adoptable. I have never, nor will I ever condone or support fighting ANY animal, nor any abuse or mis-treatment of an animal. If you own a dog, you are RESPONSIBLE to know as much as possible about that breed and the particulars about that family wich your dog comes from (human and dog). You would not take a Labrador from pure hunting stock that is dependent on human interaction and lock it in an apartment and expect to have a healthy safe dog...nor would you want to take a ranch bred independent Border Collie and chain it or cage it away from people. Same/same IMO. You HAVE to know where your critters come from, as well as the general temperments of their family, not to mention health aspects. You generally know that if a dog can do a job it was bred for, it is sound. Back in the early days of this breed, there weren't genetic testing and you had to "roll them" to test their drive to work for their humans, and health/strength in the ring. Not to mention any "crazy" overly human aggressive or uncontrollable dogs were culled from the breeding programs, not unlike the schutzhund/working lines bred into the guardian breeds (GSD, rotties, dobermans, mollosers, bouviers, etc) The most unreliable dogs I have run across in my lifetime of being involved in dogs (only the last 14 or so with pitbulls) are golden retreivers and pomeranians. These dogs come into the grooming shop with attitude and no training. Their owners are oblivious, and my lab "nephew" was attacked on the street by a golden retreiver. HE WAS 4 MONTHS OLD ON LEASH AND THE GOLDEN WAS TIED TO THE PORCH AND SLIPPED HER COLLAR! She attacked my pitbull, who needed stitches as she layed there taking a beating AFTER the lab pup got his stomach ripped OPEN by this "family dog" who lived with 3 small kids, and a cat. She also bit the officer who investigated and was tasered, and then put down. The owner said in court that she never knew goldens were hunting dogs and the dog had never left the yard in the 4 years she had her....so, do we judge goldens, by this devistation? No. Did we call the news? No (the neighbors of the lady did) Did the news cover the story? No...UNTRAINED DOGS AND IGNORANT OWNERS ARE THE PROBLEM
  14. shortbedder

shortbedder New Member

Name:
    tommy
    It seems that you have a problem with pit types Jackbox.
    The APBT is not a pit type it is the real deal. Something you will not have the pleasure of experiencing, because that freedom was removed because the masses bought into the idea that the DOG was the problem. You also seem to have a problem with Keithcampos's youthful enthusiasm
    for his breed of choice, even though his own admission is he dosn't have any experience with pure APBT ether.
    My experience with APBT game bred not tested is they are friendly dogs with people and animals. the TV show you referenced was not about family people looking for a APBT
    now was it? What the dog fighters brought to the breed was above all good health anything less is removed from the line. Intelligence, agility, and the controversial gameness are the desired traits they all look for, that makes
    a real good dog. I socialize my dogs without a problem I have friends with labs, springers ect. I do not let them run with aggressive dogs. The real problem for me is the loose dog, that irresponsible act can make an aggressive dog out of many breeds.
  15. keithcampos

keithcampos New Member

Name:
    andrw
    It just seems that some just dont get it,some have bought into the lie the media has offered them,this isn't a competition between the sbt and apbt,thats foolish,both are fine breeds.
    And for the record i admire and respect every thing about My breed of choice and though it history has been bloody at times it is rich with information,Pedigrees were first kept by dog fighters infact,The notion of the pure bred dog goes back only 150 or so yrs,the Colby line of apbts being line bred the whole time is one of the purest strains of dog to walk the earth.Ive researched this breeds history because i can,i "can" look into it history[of this breed] and still keep a logical mind without getting overly emotional,or letting emotions govern my beliefs,i let reality do so,not emotions or delusions.
    If i have a love for fighting breeds does this make me a dog fighter or supporter of dog fighting?if so explain please.
    Some own a dog used for sporting,hunting and killing a animal just for there own pride,not for food,just for vanity and ignorance however i do not blame the dogs used for fox hunting for the ignorant sport itself,this is a human issue,but if i owned a breed used for hunting,i would study its history to find out why it is what it is in it's temperament and aesthetic.For me a working dog is what comes first,then a pet,as surely a working dog/sporting can make a solid pet as well,form follows function and confirmation means little if not based on functional temperament and type first,not mutated aesthetic.
  16. keithcampos

keithcampos New Member

Name:
    andrw
    plumber isn't a dog?????
    He was a breeder,
    the dogs name is Plumbers alligator,a dog born before dog fighting was even a felony in the usa.:roll:
    Just because alligator was a fighting dog dosent mean he wouldn't of made a good household pet if his life was taken in another direction:roll: .
    I'm a fan of the working dog first and foremost,a working dog surely can make a good pet as well,the apbt was selectively bred for a people friendly attitude because it had to be handled by many different people in a fight,if i never would have researched even that much of it's history i wouldn't have known that and may of fed off the ignorance of the media such as yourself:evil: .
    The sbt is very close to being the apbt,one bred for aesthetic,one for performance,now which dog would be the all around healthier dog?one bred for looks and show or one bred for work and function first?
    Also a little known fact the ukc was established souly for the registration of the apbt in 1896 i believe,it provided referees,and it's own specific rules for dog fighting,now it is the second largest registry in the USA.
  17. keithcampos

keithcampos New Member

Name:
    andrw
    Thnks for the support but by my own addmision i own a ukc registered apbt as a matter of fact,but,i know the true history of his blood line,as well i own a rescue dog that is about as pure as they come[outside the game lines].To be 100% technical i dont own the apbt in its purest sence but have experiance with them and just a bit of knowledge as well.And if you call 32 youthfull then i guess thats a good thing?
    Keith.
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Yes it is , is it not a little like our DLRC :?

I think what you seem to forget, the APBT is an ILEGAL breed here in the UK, I have no problems with the breed, I am sure carefully bred , they can make wonderful pets... BUT her we dont have the privilege of good breeders of this breed, as an illegal breed they attract the wrong type of owner.breeder... they are bred for dog fighting and weapons..

Whether you agree with the law or not, what ever you think, for now the law states these dogs are banned, and as a law abiding citizen, if you own one you are breaking the law.

You may not like that fact, but we are in the UK, and the dogs we have here are NOT bred for anything other than their fighting spirit!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  19. shortbedder

shortbedder New Member

Name:
    tommy
    JACKBOX,
    The very first post you made on this thread page 1 about pit/pit types just to ansure your question. Not to affend, I would like to point out that Colby bred dogs were imported from Ireland, and England the rest has been covered, except all of these dogs are actually SBT types. The selective breeding and naming has created the desired traits of them all, based on human preference. I raised APBT
    for 20 yrs and SBT for the past 15 without a news worthy incident. And as I reported the breeds are very similar when
    treated the same way. People cause the problems for these dogs that lead to BSL, and don't think for a minute that the SBT is safe from its reach.
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    SHORTBEDDER!!!

You will have to forgive me, but I dont get your point.

The APBT and any "type" that is suspected of being one is 1) banned, 2) will be seized in this country.

Regardless of its purity or not as the case may be!!

I for one minute dont deluge myself that the SBT is free from being exploited

What I said was the SBT is a LEGAL breed in the UK , and bred with the right intentions is bred to fit into a social life be it show or pet, it is not bred with its distant history of fighting ability in it heritage being the foremost consideration nor is it glorified... ofcause there will be the exception and they are also used by some as weapons , just like the APBT!! or Pit type.

The APBT or PB or PB "TYPES" are illegal and will be seized... they are also NOT bred in any way shape or form for the pet /show market.

From what I read you to be saying is that the APBT is NOT a Pit bull or has anything to do with type!! (forgive me if I am wrong) that may be so,

But , the fact is, we dont discriminate between them here... they are ALL BANNED.

We are all passionate about our breeds..and their history, but for some reason yourself , keithcampos and vk`s cristal/// all seem to have a fascination of the fighting ability of the breed... and for some reason has set it on a pedestal.!!

And that is what is so worrying... for all the traits in a breed why would you glorify that one!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  21. lilypup

lilypup New Member

Name:
    Claire
    i have to say reading through this entire thread, that i agree with jackbox. admiration for the fighting heritage comes across strongly from those individuals.

i'm a huge fan of bull terriers, be they sbt, ebt, apbt etc, but that is not something i could or would ever see as an admirable quality when looking at the breed traits of any of them. i find anything to do with dogfighting extremely distressing.