Any guesses on breed? ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Sara, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Dogs aren't as susceptible as cats are in the cold, although very short haired breeds you need to be careful with. The rescue that I volunteer rescues dogs off of first nations reserves, where the dogs are totally outside animals, they never get any sort of warm places, so yes dogs are ok in the extreme temps. We dont really get alot of snow here, not like the more humid areas. Ontario, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Quebec, think nothing of getting 2-3 feet (60-90 cm) per dump.... it happens to them quite often, and yes, I'd Imagine you would have to watch your dogs very carefully in those conditions. here we are lucky to get 6 inches (15 cm) at once... yes I did say lucky, I LOVE the snow! Oliver came to me from Texas, and having never seen the snow, and not really knowing what cold is, I was worried about him... but he adjusted really quickly and LOVES playing in the snow. but his feet get cold alot quicker than my girls feet do. Its supposed to warm up now, to around the freezing mark for the next few days, I am sooo looking forward to that, we haven't had a decent walk in over a week as it's been waaayyy to cold, Oliver is about ready to jump out of his skin. its so hard on a 7 month old puppy to be cooped up that long. on an aside... it was -44C with the wind chill yesterday morning when I came home from work.... NOW THAT WAS COLD!!!!! My truck brakes were stiff and it felt like I was driving on square tires! it is -17C this morning, it feels positively balmy! and it's supposed to hit 0C this afternoon. I just keep thinking to my self... in a couple of months it'll hit +30C and we'll be wishing for some cold weather.....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Oh heres a pic of my girls getting ready to go for a walk. they're on my Mom, so I could get their booties on faster... pretty darn cute!
    [​IMG]
  4. Lupus

Lupus New Member

Name:
    emily
    i know i'm a little late to this thread, but when i saw your dog, by the way good job :grin:

i thought parsons x westie. He has the same eyes as my harvey and a similar build and i used to work at a kennels that bred westie's. Just my two pennies worth :grin:

good luck with the chap and i do envy you living in such a lovely country..i do love snow etc :grin:
  5. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Thanks Lupus! I do think Westie is in his mix for sure, maybe parsons as well, but he is 17" at the shoulder and 32 pounds, so there has to be something big in there as well. and someone said Schnauzer..... who knows! he is such a cool dog tho. I've had him almost 7 weeks now, he's around 8 months old and boy, has he done well. He has only had one accident in the house, and before I got him he was a stray. He's quit chewing expensive things (thank goodness!) and pretty much sticks to his bones and toys. and he's rather brilliant, picking up 17 commands so far, and learning faster than I can teach!

And yes, I do live in a beautiful place, I am sure there are other places as or more beautiful, but I like it here, I wouldn't live anywhere else! (I dont even travel outside of Canada, why when everything you could ever want is within a few hours? lol)
  6. Lupus

Lupus New Member

Name:
    emily
    My PRT is a boy and at 17" tall he is classed as over-sized and his mum was 18" which is where he gets his height from..just a thought as i've seen some very tall JRTx and Parsons even if they aren't the standard height.

My PRT is very smart too, in fact so bright i take him working trials training, i don't intend to compete with him though..you should have seen the trainers face when i turned up with him, he actually said 'what is a terrier doing in my class??'' :lol: but he showed up the other 'traditional' dogs quite well, his only problem is that he can sometimes be rather stubborn, typical terrier! There's nothing better than enjoying your dog, and i applaud you for taking in a stray, i find recues always seem to give double the love back, maybe its from the hard life they had before.